shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the color of Chrysoberyl?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! I was trying to read up on Chrysoberyl and I realize that I always end up reading about alexandrite, which I understand is from the same family:) so can I know what is the color for Chrysoberyl? is it suppose to be green? yellow? greenish yellow? references are most welcome;-) tks in advance!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s very often the color similar to peridot (yellowish green), but the most sought after are those that have as little of yellow as possible - probably because green gems are generally much more popular than yellow ones. Bluish green ones are called vanadium chrysoberyls and command some of the highest prices.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It ranges from honey to mint green and all shades of lemon/green in between.

Here''s some information and they have a good online selection so you can see the differences in colour (scroll down the page to get to the information).

http://www.multicolour.com/gemstones/chrysoberyl.html

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks ma re and LD:) Yes I had check out multicolor, however it shows only the selection of different colors. Do you have any reference of a top color Chrysoberyl? Why is a light color like this light greenish yellow Chrysoberyl selling at $60/carat? I thought that color should be more vivd to fetch a high price?

15412-Chrysoberyl.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 3:13:36 AM
Author:chictomato
Hi all! I was trying to read up on Chrysoberyl and I realize that I always end up reading about alexandrite, which I understand is from the same family:) so can I know what is the color for Chrysoberyl? is it suppose to be green? yellow? greenish yellow? references are most welcome;-) tks in advance!
There is a type of chyrsoberyl colored by vanadium that is a brighter mint or lime green-yellow, but most chrysoberyl is medium light to light tone, and veers toward various saturations of yellow with undertones of brown and/or grey. The less brown and/or grey, and the more pure yellow, and the more green in the yellow, the more valuable the color. I have never seen a vivid yellow chrysoberyl, but some of the vanadium ones are a very pretty brighter mint or lime greenish-yellow.

Some chrysoberyl shifts color to more of a brownish color, do not confuse that with alexandrite. That is color shift chrysoberyl. Alexandrites typically go from a green or bluish color to burgundy red or purple. Whenever buying a chrysoberyl, inquire about the color shift, because you probably don't want it going brown or greyish in certain lighting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 10:56:58 AM
Author: chictomato
Thanks ma re and LD:) Yes I had check out multicolor, however it shows only the selection of different colors. Do you have any reference of a top color Chrysoberyl? Why is a light color like this light greenish yellow Chrysoberyl selling at $60/carat? I thought that color should be more vivd to fetch a high price?
It could color shift to a more brown color (I do see brown in it). Althogh the color has some green, it's not very saturated or bright. This is the color that sells for a high price. Average chrysoberyl, without vanadium, isn't a very expensive stone to begin with. I'm always suspect of dealers selling a small stone for several hundred dollars.

Very fine vanadium chyrsoberyl.

Vanadium_chyrsoberyl_pala.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 10:56:58 AM
Author: chictomato
They should - that''s why stones like THIS, especially in larger sizes, easily go for 150$/ct.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there its me again! Was wondering if the pure bright yellow Chrysoberyl is of a more desirable color, or top color, comparing to a bright yellowish-green or greenish yellow? I had came across a number of site selling Chrysoberyl for e.g wsf (pls scroll to the bottom of the page to see the selection of chrysoberyl). It seems like the pure bright yellow, is priced much more higher than the other colors. According the gem-cutters that I approached, they also view the pure yellow ones as the preferred and harder to obtain color. Looking forward to hear from you! TIA

Rubygrt

Rough_Rock
I accept with LD and Ma Re it ranges from green,greenish yellow,yellowish green,honey brown,yellow.If you are interested to know more once faceting grade rough was available from Madagaskar,Orissa(India),sri lanka.Orissa still produces good quality and quantity. Now a days more of cat''s eye are generally available.
I am sure you must be knowing chrysobery cat''s eye,Alexandrite cat''s eye.Availablity of good size is rare.Especially Alexandrite cat''s eye----clean with good silk and color change is rare.I aM lucky to have 67cts rough ranges from 3cts to 17cts but excellent silky very minimum color change.If you are interested i will try to get you the pictures.

Rubygrt

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well from the photos I''ve seen I like the Vandium Chrysoberyl and some of the yellows.

I think it''s hard to tell from a vendor''s photo what the color looks like IRL, so I haven''t bought any yet! But I am attracted to the hardness and some of the colors. I don''t make any choices based on what''s considered "top color" so I just can''t say what that is. I try to just buy what I like and enjoy it!

HTH

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed it, too. Ideally, you can get a green stone which is much harder and wearable than peridot. Not a bad deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results