shape
carat
color
clarity

what is...eyeclean, mindclean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

You guys always mention "this is eyeclean" and another i''ve read is "mind clean...aka tiggerV6" or something like that. What do these things mean??

Sorry if it should be obvious...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi........There are likely multiple ways to explain this, but for me:

1. Eye clean means that with your eyes looking at a diamond (form me, even up close) you can''t see any inclusions whatsoever (even if there are some). Some people say eye clean means not being able to see inclusions from from 6 - 10 inches.

2. Mind Clean means that even if there are inclusions, your mind wouldn''t dwell on them. In other words, if having inclusions, even those you could not see would cause you to doubt your stone, it''s not mind clean, because your mind would dwell on the inclusions, thus reducing the pleasure you get from your diamond.

This is how I would explain it. Other''s might chime in differently.

Cheers
35.gif

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Rod...

Eye clean is clean to the naked eye. But mind clean is all in your head. It''s not a physical characteristic of the stone, but might as well be if someone is constantly dwelling on something that they can''t even see.

For example, I got an AGS SI1 stone which is eye clean. There are some very small inclusions under the table and my independent appraiser classed it as a VS2, but explained that AGS has very strict clarity standards, so he could see it as an SI1. To me, this is perfect, but to someone else, they might have a problem knowing those inclusions are there.

Even going further than just the inclusions...if someone is bent on the stone being a G instead of the E they wanted to get(but might not be able to tell the difference), then there will always be an "issue" with the stone.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eye-Clean is a diamond dealer term: It means the seller is telling you he doesn't see the inclusions that you might see with your naked eye. He may be telling a little white lie, or he may be telling you the truth. Essentially, it is your own eyes that dictate if you have an eye-clean stone or not. A nearly eye-clean stone is often called eye-cleanish. This means it isn't eye-clean, but in under 5 seconds you might not see anything.
19.gif

Eye-Clean is ALWAYS face-up view only.....Inclusions seen from the back or the side are not included in this term by us purists!
31.gif

Mind-Clean is a Pricescope term that has been pretty well explained above. No one in the trade uses it, but consumers do think about clarity in ways dealers never dreamed of.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone. so does that mean that you could only get an eyeclean stone if you bought it in person...because from online it would be a lot harder to tell if you thought you could see inclusions to the naked eye?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you ask a truly honest expert if the diamond is eye-clean, they can give you an honest opinion. The more normal situation is a non-expert seller who wantws to simply get your money and will say what needs to be said to get it. They can''t be trusted.
You''ll then need your own eyes to make your own opinion.

The general run of vendors here will be truthful. Occasionally, there may be a minor difference of opinion, but we have seen little or no evidence of outright abuse of consumers with Pricescope vendors. I think others will agree this is the case.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 4:43:44 PM
Author: froufrou
thanks everyone. so does that mean that you could only get an eyeclean stone if you bought it in person...because from online it would be a lot harder to tell if you thought you could see inclusions to the naked eye?

not necessarily. But you are right in a way...someone else''s definition of eyeclean might not fit yours. Like a certain vendor''s definition of eye clean is that it''s clean from about 6-8". But some people have super sharp vision and can spot a needle in a haystack and others may not.

I purchased an "eye-clean" stone from WF and fortunately it was eye clean w/ me too :) I think as long as you can trust your vendor, they can give you a good eye clean stone. you can always have it sent to the appraisor and look at the stone together and send it back if you don''t want it.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2006 4:43:44 PM
Author: froufrou
In short no. If you are buying from a quality vendor, such as one of the better one''s here on Pricescope, they''ll tell you if a stone is eye clean. They''ll send you scopes and enlarged views to show exactly where any inclusions are and they can be trusted.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would trust a recommended PS vendor to tell me if something is eye clean, HOWEVER, I would make sure to find out whether they''re talking about trade standards of eyeclean (viewing from 10-12 inches away or so) or MY standard of eyeclean (2-3 inches from my eyeball).
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:06:22 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I would trust a recommended PS vendor to tell me if something is eye clean, HOWEVER, I would make sure to find out whether they''re talking about trade standards of eyeclean (viewing from 10-12 inches away or so) or MY standard of eyeclean (2-3 inches from my eyeball).
1.gif

hehe..ditto for me too..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2006 4:21:37 PM
Author: Rod
Hi........There are likely multiple ways to explain this, but for me:

2. Mind Clean means that even if there are inclusions, your mind wouldn''t dwell on them. In other words, if having inclusions, even those you could not see would cause you to doubt your stone, it''s not mind clean, because your mind would dwell on the inclusions, thus reducing the pleasure you get from your diamond.

This is how I would explain it. Other''s might chime in differently.

Cheers
35.gif
right on Rod.
2.gif
36.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
When buying ''eye-clean'' stones you''ve not seen yourself it''s always wise to make sure the seller has a good return policy with no restocking penalties, etc so that if their assessment of eye-clean doesn''t match your own you can just return it (shouldn''t normally be necessary but good to know for peace of mind).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results