shape
carat
color
clarity

what if setting and diamond are from two different vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the Superbcert Tiffany replica but I am finding diamonds I like better at a couple of other places. If I bought them at two different places, who would actually set the diamond? Dimend Scassi has a beautiful Tiffany replica, too. If anyone has comments on the quality of Tiffany replicas, I''d be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most of the people who sell mountings are also prepared to sell you the setting labor. I"m pretty sure that both of the dealers you mention are happy to do this. Ring them up and ask 'em. When you buy all three of the components together it's common to see a discount in the form of free or inexpensive labor fees that isn't usually available if you don't buy the diamond and/or the mounting from them. There are plenty of jewelers who are preapred to assemble things for you and what you are describing is usually not a very difficult job but you should be aware of the possibility of finger pointing between the various parties if something goes wrong.

For example:
I didn't set it crooked, the mounting is crooked.
It looks funny because the stone doesn't properly fit the setting.
The stone was already chipped when you gave it to me to set.
The prongs look ugly becuase the ring manufacturer did a bad job.
The prongs look ugly because the setter did a bad job.
The prongs look ugly because the diamond cutter did a bad job.
I don't take breakage risk on the setting of stones that my shop didn't sell.
etc. etc. etc.

A lot of this sort of thing can be avoided by keeping the number of people involved to a minimum. Whoever sets it, ask them if they take breakage liability in the case of problems and have them carefully inspect both the diamond and the mounting thoroughly before beginning work and discuss ANY problems that they have. Consider getting an independent appraiser to examine the stone prior to setting if you haven't already done so.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

coll

Rough_Rock
I think your best bet might be to talk to people from your area and get a recommendation for a good jeweler. My fiance took the stone to a jeweler his mom had used several times, a very small place in Jersey, and he did a fantastic job.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
There is a PSer named Demelza that has the Supercert Tiffany replica setting. If you do a search using her name her thread will come up. She really likes it. She had bought her stone from someone else then sent it to them to have it set.

I bought my stone from Whiteflash and my setting from Pearlman''s Jewelers. Since my setting is from Scott Kay, Pearlman''s actually sent them my stone for setting. But buying the stone and setting from two different vendors is done all the time. I don''t know what Supercert''s policy is, but several online vendors will only set their stones, or if you can only buy one of their settings you have to get the stone from them as well.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
For Superbcert, you have to have them set the stone to maintain the lifetime warranty on the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results