shape
carat
color
clarity

What Does Ethical Mean to You?

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
We all know there are still many human rights abuses being experienced in the world.
If given a choice, I am sure most of us would prefer not to be part of the chain.
But this begs the question: What constitutes an "ethical" product or company, or "fairtrade"? Is this just a new buzzword used for marketing purposes? Can my coffee really be traced to the bush it grew on, and every hand that touched it along the way? Can my sapphire?

Deskjockey posted 2 excellent articles that leave us feeling like maybe, we can't be sure these words really mean what we thought:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/05/25/surprise-fairtrade-doesnt-benefit-the-poor-peasants/

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2009/11/06/kimberley-process-zimbabwe-action-mars-credibility

In Western countries, "ethical" treatment at work is guaranteed by law, and among other things, there is an hour limit to your work week, paid overtime, no child labor, holidays, fair treatment, safe and sanitary working conditions (or pay reflecting the potential hazard) no harassment, no discrimination, clean toilets (hopefully), etc.

Is it realistic to expect similar in third world countries, where most of gem mining takes place?

How do you define "ethical" business practices in this industry?

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Ok here are some links to eds websites in case anyone is interested in reading them! There are many more articles and lots have nothing to do with the gem industry but they are very interesting. I will post a few that I like. One is an interview about Ed from the jewelers ethics association. I warn you this is a lot of reading!

http://www.wildfishgems.com/company

http://www.wildfishgems.com/how2mine

http://edwardbristol.com/2011/12/16/the-boy-and-the-crystal/

http://edwardbristol.com/2011/07/26/393/

http://www.jewelersethicsassociation.com/spotlight/Edward_Bristol.html

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Thanks austinj, but I was actually trying to get some feedback from the PS community as to what they feel the term "ethical" means, or if it means anything to them.

I did not intend this to be a platform for naming vendors.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Oh ok yes sorry I just assumed it was a continuation of the discussion on the other thread. My bad!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding workplaces in westernized countries being 'ethical' - there are still workplaces that do not follow common law for employers and are not ethically employing their staff, so unethical practices are not limited to certain places, industries or any other kind of group that may be categorized by a stereotypical label - just because you goods come from a westernized country does not necessarily mean they have been gathered/built ethically.

Here's an interesting scenario: If I was docked for toilet breaks by my employer then I would be in an unethical employment - yet the person earning half what I make but makes twice the minimum wage for the country they live in is in a far better socio-economic position than I am. So where's the ethicality in this situation and where is it lacking? Who is in the more favorable position? Where can we draw the line in the sand here and say what is right and what is unethical? And are the goods then tainted by the employer who has docked the pay of staff for toilet breaks? (I have quite the opinion of companies that offer salaried positions and then ask those staff to work double shifts without paying a cent extra, there's an equivocation to slave labour there but that's a whole other topic).

When it comes to obtaining ethical goods, unless the consumer monitors the process in it's entirety from raw materials being sourced through to the finished product, then the 'ethical' label isn't worth the piece of paper it is written on. I know that critics of the Kimberley Process have been vocal about this issue and the interesting thing is if you are concerned about the ethicality of your goods then it translates to any product or item. I won't buy tuna in a can for similar reasons.

TL;DR = Unless you watch the process from A - Z, no product can be labelled ethical and the consumer have 100% faith this is true.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
I do definitely agree what is being said about the process needing to be monitored from A-z, and that no one can really know for sure what's happening and if people are actually being "ethical". I do think though that any step in that direction is a really good sign. And even the idea of ethical treatment/prices/environment can have a ripple effect and make people think. Obviously when people claim to be ethical there is for sure a large degree of trust because they can be lying their butts off and we will never really know. But the fact that businesses are starting to do this and customers are wanting to see more of it is a really positive change in itself I think! Even if half is false it still is a step.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What unethical means to me.

1) Taking photos of gems that aren't representative of their true color.
2) Saying that a treated gem is not really a gemstone, even when your own lab reports are from small labs that can't test for everything. :roll:
3) Using charities to advertise your stones. I don't mind a business highlighting a charity and asking people do donate to it, but to use it as an excuse to raise your prices is wrong IMO.
4) Claiming ethical mining when it's almost impossible to prove.
5) Tradespeople posting pictures of their gems/jewelry on PS, when it's not allowed, while pretending it's not theirs. That's unfair to others in the trade that post here.
6) Asking people to invest in stones that you, as a trades person, determine incredibly inflated retail prices on.

Okay, I'm done now.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1430886108|3872795 said:

2) Saying that a treated gem is not really a gemstone, even when your own lab reports are from small labs that can't test for everything. :roll:
3) Using charities to advertise your stones. I don't mind a business highlighting a charity and asking people do donate to it, but to use it as an excuse to raise your prices is wrong IMO.
5) Tradespeople posting pictures of their gems/jewelry on PS, when it's not allowed, while pretending it's not theirs. That's unfair to others in the trade that post here.
6) Asking people to invest in stones that you, as a trades person, determine incredibly inflated retail prices on.

Okay, I'm done now.

1++

Exactly my opinion!! Thank you!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pie: thank you for taking the time to start this thread. I do think though, that for this thread to be most effective, it should avoid discussion of specific vendors and their policies. Austinj, it would be helpful to the thread if you would please ask the Moderators to remove your post about Wildfish Gems. Some vendors are lightning rods for dissenting opinions and he certainly seems to be one. I don't think its wise to start the thread, inadvertently or not, with his policies as possible examples of what "ethical" means at the risk of derailing the discussion.

I'm sure we could agree that all things being equal, we would prefer to buy from ethical vendors. The question becomes what is ethical, how is it proven, who monitors it. As some have already pointed out, there are many vendors who have devoted decades to traveling to buy rough, and cultivating friendships along the way. One by product of the years of travel and these friendships is firsthand insights as to the needs of the local communities and a strong desire and willingness to help. Many of these vendors do not invest in the local communities as a self promotion gimmick, but rather because they believe in giving back. How are we to decide their true motivation that causes them to contribute time, expertise, and money? How do we know who does this? Do we ask them? Do we go by their website? What if someone does it but doesn't want publicity - he/she just wants to give back? What if someone does it as a means of self promotion? Does that still count? How do we tell?

To me, broadly speaking ethical means someone who conducts business caring about the quality of services/products they deliver and the customers they serve. They believe in cultivating long term relationships with all those they interact with, from suppliers, colleagues and employees, as well as customers. Ethical means honesty in representation of stones and treatments and an understanding that returns are part of the process and should not be discouraged. There are so many other standards - fair pricing, transparency in stone sources, and being willing to be honest about the extent of their knowledge. While it is not unethical, I do not care for vendors who constantly talk themselves up - their knowledge, their contacts, their business acumen. I find that such behavior makes me question just how knowledgable they are.

That's probably enough for tonight - to be continued tomorrow!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PieAreSquared|1430870710|3872690 said:
In Western countries, "ethical" treatment at work is guaranteed by law, and among other things, there is an hour limit to your work week, paid overtime, no child labor, holidays, fair treatment, safe and sanitary working conditions (or pay reflecting the potential hazard) no harassment, no discrimination, clean toilets (hopefully), etc.

Well, imo America doesn't actually live up to these standards. Hour limit? Paid overtime? Fair treatment? No harassment/discrimination? If you think those things are actually true, you've got another think coming.

I honestly don't think about fair trade/ethical all that much because the only way in the 21st century to ensure that everything you are using is ethically sourced is to sell all your belongings and go live sustainably off the land.

Like, I think it's much better use of my time/money to advocate for change and to donate to causes doing good work than it is to monitor everything I purchase and hope that the claims of fair trade/ethical sourcing are correct.

jordyonbass|1430882496|3872766 said:
(I have quite the opinion of companies that offer salaried positions and then ask those staff to work double shifts without paying a cent extra, there's an equivocation to slave labour there but that's a whole other topic).

I cut a long rant that I wrote but suffice it to say that at my last "salaried" job my wages broke down to $5-$7 an hour. Long story short, we had a dramatic confrontation over their desire for me to work more and my desire to be paid a reasonable wage for the work I was doing, and I quit. A year and a half later and I am not one iota less bitter about it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

Interesting question, for sure. I remember thinking about this question when I was buying oriental rugs. I'm a big fan of those and find many beautiful.

Well, lo and behold, I saw a documentary on this topic which showed very young children working the loom, sitting on the floor, and helping the family to have enough to eat. Of course that was what the Doc. was showing, the exploitation of children. I gave it some thought and I concluded that years ago, in this country, children was also used to help the family survive. The stage of a country's development is just as much an explanation as it being unethical. In one way, I was glad they had food to eat, and a roof over their heads.
So, yes, I did buy a beautiful, Indian rug, that I've had more than 30yrs. I don't have any quams(sp) about it.

I regard gemstones much the same way. Native minors do know what they have. The gems pass through many hands, each taking a cut. I just accept that part of it, although I always get sticker shock when I look.

I also agree with TL(well put).

Annette

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Should I even wonder why Apple products are Made in China instead of USA?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1430918674|3872926 said:
I gave it some thought and I concluded that years ago, in this country, children was also used to help the family survive.

And not that long ago. Growing up we helped on the family farm. I did work for "credit" at the barns where I rode horses from the time I was 12, and it was somewhat hard manual labor and potentially dangerous at times. On our own farm, we were lifting and hauling and doing pretty hard work from the time we were kids. My little brothers were handling heavy equipment (probably illegally, LOL) and driving tractors from the time they were 8 or 9.

For that reason I'm not quite as sure how to handle the question of child labor. I think minors can be involved in something like mining without it necessarily being abuse or a human rights violation, but there's a very fine line there. I guess in terms of kids, I would consider it on the ethical side of things (maybe not "perfectly" ethical, but more on the acceptable side of the continuum) if: minors are working for themselves or their families, they are not coerced or forced, it does not interfere with their ability to get an education, and they are not exposed to highly dangerous conditions.

For the rest of the workers, I think a lot of the same applies. They should not be forced or coerced to do the work, they should get what they consider to be fair pay, efforts should be made to make the work less dangerous, etc. Pay and time off, etc, is difficult, because what we consider fair in the western world is light years apart from what is fair in some places. Someone we think of as working in abysmal conditions for not enough pay might actually have a much better job and pay than most people in his immediate area.

It's a hard thing to grapple with, because ultimately gems are high-end luxury products and it's hard to think about people earning (what we consider) minimum wage or less blasting through rock and digging, doing backbreaking labor every day so that we can wear pretty shiny things for which they get paid a tiny percentage of that value.

I think if this is something that really bothers you, you have to become a connoisseur of sorts in regards to provenance and origin. There is really know way to 100% be sure of what conditions are for workers in some places, and by the time a stone reaches us it may have been through dozens of hands. If that unknown is really bothersome, I think buying stones sourced in countries with clearer protection for workers is a start (US, Canada, Australia, etc).

I do think initiatives from some cutters and producers to improve quality of life for miners and their communities are great, and we should support those when we find them.

One of the reasons I'm very excited about seeing "sharing the rough" is the chance to see what it's like on the front end. I don't know how representative that film is of the average miner in that area of africa, but I think it might, to some extent, set my mind at ease about these things.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thread topic. Thanks for making it Piearesquared.

corundummy

Rough_Rock
The environmental impact of mining certainly gives me pause. Having seen (as a casual observer) mining practices at both small (Madagascar) and large (Johannesburg) scales, the impacts are rather vexing. The amount of sediment added to streams even in small mining areas is rather staggering. Constant sedimentation of these waters impacts all organisms that live in them and the water quality for human users downstream. To me, this isn't ethical. I'd prefer to buy stones from mines that aren't allowed such practices. While a montana sapphire might not normally have the rich tones of one from Sri Lanka, knowing that an effort was made to reduce the environmental impact of getting it out of the ground makes it more beautiful to me. I'll admit, my knowledge of the variation in mining practices between countries/mines/operators is poor, so if others know more I'd be happy to be more informed.

I don't know much about the treatment of workers in the mining industry, although the dynamics of natural resource driven economies in poor countries is a bit frightening.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the concept of ethical mining, ethical manufacturing and whatnot but unless there is a way to prove it every step of the way and that it is consistently monitored and enforced by an independent third party, it might as well be the latest fad or buzzword or marketing gimmick. I do not believe that unsubstantiated claims deserves any level of trust, especially if I am being charged more for it, because I then view it as a marketing gimmick until proven wrong. For me, there are other ways I can show my support for ethical practices or lessening the impact by donating directly to charities, buying old/used stones (secondhand or buying from vendors who use existing stones as preform material), buying American-mined and such.

I do agree that the environmental impact is troubling but this also extends to metal mining. Are you (general you) all aware of how dangerous gold mining is, both to the safety and health of the miners?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/environmental-disaster-gold-industry-180949762/?no-ist
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/peru404/environmental.html

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The issue of ethic's (to me) permeates EVERYTHING we touch, make, sell or buy. Because of that, I prefer to look at ethical and ethics as being the choices (yes, choices) we make each day. Each choice has to do with resources and the world around us. Every resource, whether it is gems, metals, water or air-as examples........is 'at risk' by humans and human behavior. It get's more complicated from here. Is someone driving a gas guzzling SUV in the USA any more ethical than miners and children in a third world country? Is someone who allows water to run from a well nonstop in America more ethical than a gold mine that abuses and pollutes the water in a stream? It really is a case of pulling one part of the web and everything moving/shifting.................
If you want ethics........it starts with each of us.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1430886108|3872795 said:

Okay, I'm done now.

Totally agree.

I don't think that anybody who is in the gem business can honestly, hand on heart, say that the process is wholly ethical from A to Z. It's not and I doubt will ever be. Many of the lapidarists and tradespeople who work with those in the countries where the gems are mined, are keen to help and may contribute in ways to better conditions BUT at the end of the day, we (in the West/Europe) really can't judge everything by the standards we would expect in our own countries because the economy and conditions in those countries are vastly different to ours and expectations are also very different.

At the end of the day, there are vendors who say they source ethically mined gemstones and those who do but don't publish it. What I believe to be an ethically mined gemstone and what another person thinks may be very different. I certainly do not believe that there is (or ever has been) a premium on stones that claim to be ethically mined. This smacks to me of a marketing ploy and agrees with TL's point 6 above).

If somebody feels passionate about it then I think it's going to be very difficult ensuring they only buy gemstones that fit with their beliefs.

I prefer to deal with vendors I believe are ethical in the way they do business.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1430929800|3873028 said:
The issue of ethic's (to me) permeates EVERYTHING we touch, make, sell or buy. Because of that, I prefer to look at ethical and ethics as being the choices (yes, choices) we make each day. Each choice has to do with resources and the world around us. Every resource, whether it is gems, metals, water or air-as examples........is 'at risk' by humans and human behavior. It get's more complicated from here. Is someone driving a gas guzzling SUV in the USA any more ethical than miners and children in a third world country? Is someone who allows water to run from a well nonstop in America more ethical than a gold mine that abuses and pollutes the water in a stream? It really is a case of pulling one part of the web and everything moving/shifting.................

Absolutely. I totally agree.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Is someone driving a gas guzzling SUV in the USA any more ethical than miners and children in a third world country? Is someone who allows water to run from a well nonstop in America more ethical than a gold mine that abuses and pollutes the water in a stream? It really is a case of pulling one part of the web and everything moving/shifting.................

To make it more complicated, is someone who drives a tesla more ethical than someone who drives a big gas guzzling SUV when making the batteries results in some awful environmental consequences (and plugging in still relies on fossil fuel based power plants)? Is it more ethical for the US to produce more natural gas to reduce dependency on foreign oil (which can fuel conflict and war, in addition to environmental damage) when producing it could have serious consequences for clean water and health for millions?

These questions rarely have a clear cut or black and white answer.

I do think it's easier to single out things like gemstones and coffee because those things are not necessities and we have much more of a choice about whether we partake or not.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deskjockey|1430930819|3873040 said:
Is someone driving a gas guzzling SUV in the USA any more ethical than miners and children in a third world country? Is someone who allows water to run from a well nonstop in America more ethical than a gold mine that abuses and pollutes the water in a stream? It really is a case of pulling one part of the web and everything moving/shifting.................

To make it more complicated, is someone who drives a tesla more ethical than someone who drives a big gas guzzling SUV when making the batteries results in some awful environmental consequences (and plugging in still relies on fossil fuel based power plants)? Is it more ethical for the US to produce more natural gas to reduce dependency on foreign oil (which can fuel conflict and war, in addition to environmental damage) when producing it could have serious consequences for clean water and health for millions?

I do think it's easier to single out things like gemstones and coffee because those things are not necessities and we have much more of a choice about whether we partake or not.

I have a feeling that we've all made our choices as we are here, on Pricescope, in the Colored Gemstone Forum and many of us have been buying for years so this thread feels a little redundant (although thought provoking). That's not a criticism by the way but simply an observation.

corundummy

Rough_Rock

I agree to that it's difficult to weigh the ethics of disparate things (i.e. SUV vs. miners). However, it seems to me that within the extraction of stones and metals there are myriad decisions that can be made to make it more ethical. As a consumer I'd love to reward mines that do it the right way, by paying a premium for stones that come from companies that are fair to workers and due their part to mitigate the environmental damage. Yet it seems outside of a select few operations where stones are mined and sold directly, it's quite difficult to know what ills have been done to get the stone into your hands.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

Wow. Excellent points from all.
The economic interdependence of globalization has made things very complicated.

I recently saw a website that sells only synthetic stones ‘because they are the only truly ethical choice’ or something like that. The picture painted is of a well paid scientist sitting in an air conditioned laboratory cranking out gems. Sounds great, but... where and how were the raw materials mined (yes, mined) to make that synthetic stone in that lab? With just a little investigating, things are not always what they seem. Another “ethical” marketing phrase I see now is ‘we use only recycled gold’. Hello! As far as I know, every jeweler buys their gold from refineries (= recycled), they do not mine it themselves, right? To me, that is a gimmick designed to take advantage of the inexperienced or uneducated.
I see most all of us are wary of claims that cannot be proven conclusively, and we are all doing the best we can with the knowledge we have.

I had a lot more to say, but honestly every single point has been covered by someone above!

Thank you all for your excellent posts! :clap:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also is truly and honestly way beyond our control to know the accuracy of the evaluations of working conditions in Kenya/Madagascar/Sri Lanka/Tanzania/Nigeria/Viet Nam/etc. No one would find credible a system where miners and vendors self report and evaluate working conditions. Its why systems are implemented which have impartial checks and balances to stay above corruption and exaggeration.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what conclusions can be drawn?

corundummy

Rough_Rock
LD|1430931532|3873047 said:
deskjockey|1430930819|3873040 said:

I have a feeling that we've all made our choices as we are here, on Pricescope, in the Colored Gemstone Forum and many of us have been buying for years so this thread feels a little redundant (although thought provoking). That's not a criticism by the way but simply an observation.

I'm not criticizing purchasing gems (or anything else), but it seems to me that every individual purchase is a separate choice. If a person who buys a fair few stones makes the ethics (whatever that means to them) a part of the equation when choosing which to purchase, they're effecting the market towards their ideal of ethical (albeit in a small way).

Deciding what makes a stone ethical is difficult and we may not be able to get great information on each stone to make that choice, but gravitating towards goods that fit with a given set of ethics could make a difference.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It sounds like PieRSquared is looking for something akin to the Kimberley Process but for gemstones instead of diamonds. Good luck with that! Too many regions, too little motivation to do it. Are gemstones being used to fund wars in corrupt countries? Just ain't gonna happen. Sorry. Rely on our own ethics when buying rather than the sources' ethics when manufacturing/mining.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bcavitt|1431033798|3873621 said:
It sounds like PieRSquared is looking for something akin to the Kimberley Process but for gemstones instead of diamonds. Good luck with that! Too many regions, too little motivation to do it. Are gemstones being used to fund wars in corrupt countries? Just ain't gonna happen. Sorry. Rely on our own ethics when buying rather than the sources' ethics when manufacturing/mining.

I heard an interesting story from a guy I know that some smaller miners in Africa sell their stones to larger mining companies who then get them certified with the correct documentation - so basically that tells me even the Kimberley Process while great in theory is able to be gotten around as well.

My husbands family have been selling what most would consider to be as ethically sourced stones from around the world for 30+ years. They don't charge more for them because of this. What is fascinating is that in the last 10 or so years people suddenly put a label on stones that are "ethically sourced or mined" or chocolate that is "ethically produced" or coffee or clothing and a whole range of other goods.... The truth in the instance of gemstones is many of them come from some of the poorest regions on the earth and the miners and sellers are frequently paid a pittance for them. Most of the mining practices in these countries would never meet what we consider standards that are "ethical." I don't see people labelling and cashing in on them as being "ethically sourced" as actually be that ethical when frequently the sellers cannot prove how they were sourced and use this label more as another way to brainwash consumers into paying more for the product.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
bcavitt|1431033798|3873621 said:

Not sure why you think I was asking for anything but opinions (no, I am not looking for Kimberley Process for gemstones)...and I realize this is a touchy subject, especially for those in the trade, the "fairtrade" banner is being waved by many companies purely for profit, no doubt about it.

What I did ask, if you read my post bcavitt, was how does the average PSer define "ethical" business practices in the colored stone industry?... Is it realistic to expect similar working conditions in third world countries as we are accustomed to in 'Western' countries? Is that what ethical means to you?

I found that the general consensus here is pretty much the same as what I have come to believe, after doing much research:

No, we cannot measure the entire world with our yardstick.
"Ethical" is too vague a term to be used definitively.
For those two reasons, ethics mean different things to different people.
And as a side point, no, most of us would not pay 3, 5, or 10x more for a product just because it claims to be 'fairtrade'.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough one because (and maybe I should be ashamed to say this) I don't know the ethics of gemstone mining. I certainly do not want people to suffer for me to have a shiny bauble on my finger or a pretty gemstone in a gem box.

What irks me is to see gemstones for sale that have been photoshopped to death or put in a spotlight. I really think it is best to just take a pic from your I-phone of regular camera without any fancy manipulation. Show the gem as it appears to the camera and if it is better than photos, your customer will be happier. When selling a collection piece I would rather not make a sale, then mislead someone into thinking they are getting more than I am selling. I don't understand why sellers photoshop their gems. Don't they just get the gems returned back when they are not as described? Seems like such a waste of time and energy. But I see it. every. day.

As for pricing- well I think everyone can sell at the price they want. If a seller is expensive and people buy- no harm no foul. I do respect that people on this forum can discuss the pricing of any vendor. This is a consumer forum and I appreciate that aspect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results