shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''m so glad to have joined your little Pricescope community!

This is what has led me to Pricescope ... My boyfriend and I have been shopping around for diamonds and settings and it has been a great but sometimes arduous experience ... As a layperson or regular consumer ... how do I know what is the truth or what is fallacy???

I have found that I have been trying to educate myself so much that I have become obsessed with diamonds. Don''t tell anyone but I even created a loose diamond spreadsheet ... Insanity!! I check out Pricescope among various other resources everyday and have learned quite a bit!

I have a question for all of you other professional diamond lovers ... I have found a sparkalicious diamond
30.gif
and believe we will be purchasing it ... Can you please tell me if it is as quality as I think it is ... and if the pricing is reasonable as well. I think it is a fair deal, however, I''m new to this stuff and keep second guessing myself ... I respect your professional opinions ...

Here are the GIA graded specs ...

1.28 Carat, Round Brilliant
E, VS2
Depth - 61%
Table - 55%
Girdle - Med to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence - None
Measurements - 6.98 x 7.04 x 4.28 mm.

Comments: Pinpoints are not shown (what does this mean)?

I have viewed this diamond via a gemscope & seen the hearts and arrows!!

Also, I have seen it via a loupe and under 30x magnification and can see the miniscule inclusions. All in all it is absolutely beautiful! Incredible really.

The price they have quoted is $11,000.

I believe that there may be some room for movement with the price but not much. The jeweler we are dealing with now has a Master Appraiser & Graudate Gemologists on staff. This has instilled some confidence in me, in combination with the fact that they are not a typical retail location ... instead, more of a diamond broker.

Is this a fair price? Based on the research I have done, it appears to be ... Can you please advise?

Now ... that''s the diamond. ... on to the setting.

I have also found a lovely split shank Simon G setting (I love split shank settings) ... and have posted a picture for you to see ... I hope you love it as much as I do ...

Thanks everyone ... I appreciate your time in reading this and responding to my inquiry! I look forward to becoming an active member of your community.

simongshowcasering.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sparkalicious,

Welcome to Pricescope! And Happy Thanksgiving.

The option sounds encouraging. If you haven't yet, read the tutorial, above, under knowledge, see if you can get crown & pavilion angles, to get confirming info about the cut of the diamond...and compare against these two as an example...oops...check that...I think G0G is temporarily under water right now (Rhino's come on board to tell us as much, too)...but they have a slightly larger one showing on the search by cut db (above under prices) for about $11,4.

It may be an older certificate...not sporting c&P angles...which on it's face is not a problem...but for $11K...they should get them for you at your request. Otherwise...frankly...I'd say there's lots of fish in the sea...and don't settle, until you can get confirmation about how well the diamond is cut.

Regards,

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the warm PS welcome & Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!

I''m so excited!!! Thank you for responding!!! You are my first response!!

I have been lurking around PS for a couple weeks now and have been too shy to join and now that I bit the bullet I felt like maybe I had done something wrong since a lot of people had viewed my inquiry but hadn''t responded.

I am genuinely seeking input so THANK YOU for getting back to me and with such an informed response too!

Ok ... now down to business ...

I have reviewed the PS tutorial info with reference to crown & pavillion angles, therefore, coincidentally, I just sent an email to the jeweler I am dealing with today asking to be provided with this information since it is not on the cert.

Given that it is an older cert, how do they find out the crown & pavillion angle info?
Just wanted to get an idea on how difficult this info is to obtain ... As far as I have read it relates to some type of Sarin test or something ... Is this something that jeweler''s usually have access to?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Regular Guy gave you excellent advice. Look at this link https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp to help you find the pavilion, and crown on the cert. Once you get that info we can help you better! Hope you had a great Turkey day!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy! Now I''m getting super impatient to get the information ... I can''t wait to find out. I hope it is easy to determine so I will be able to find out early next week and check out the link you so kindly provided!

Thanks a lot and enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 11:45:23 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Thanks Skippy! Now I''m getting super impatient to get the information ... I can''t wait to find out. I hope it is easy to determine so I will be able to find out early next week and check out the link you so kindly provided!

Thanks a lot and enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving!
Two notes:

1) I don''t know what resources your jeweler has, but they should have some. At the same time, I can tell you from modest research, my own major metro area in DC has very few of these devices...and I don''t know that any let jewelers in the hood use them. If your jeweler is clueless...2 spots he can send them to for less than a re-cert are Dave Atlas, appraiser in Philly, and PGS, an appraising and certifying group in Chicago.

2) Though I''d still not buy one without this info...Garry might say shut up and just invest $25 in an idealscope...which in concept tells you directly what info from sarin lets you only infer. Frankly...not a bad investment. I have one (somewhere...can''t find it since I moved).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 11:17:44 PM

Given that it is an older cert, how do they find out the crown & pavillion angle info?
Just wanted to get an idea on how difficult this info is to obtain ... As far as I have read it relates to some type of Sarin test or something ... Is this something that jeweler''s usually have access to?
If you have the report number & carat weight you can go to GIA Report Check to see if the additional measurement information was stored back when the diamond was at the lab.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
This is fantastic! Thank you so much!! I am going to go check this out right now!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
John,

I just checked out the GIA link and it brought up the GIA cert details but it didn''t give me any information about the crown & pavillion angles. Any other ideas?

Also - what does "Pinpoints not shown" mean?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 7:20:33 PM
John,

I just checked out the GIA link and it brought up the GIA cert details but it didn''t give me any information about the crown & pavillion angles. Any other ideas?

Also - what does ''Pinpoints not shown'' mean?
Not an expert...but I think the idea is that...it is thought to represent the minor "pinpoints" visually on the cert would be automatically to over-represent them...so they are just verbally described.

Ordinarily...VS2 is a smart buy...with respect to not seeing inclusions...nor overpaying for clarity you don''t need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results