shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
I saw it on Sam''s Club website and DH agreed to buy it for me, but I am nervous about the low clarity and colour of the stones. This ring is not in the store closed to where I live, so I have no idea how it looks in person. Anyway, here it is http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=355940&prDeTab=2&pCatg=6399#A

What do you think about it?
For those who own a SI or I emerald cut, would you mind sharing the pics and what you think of the SI quality stones?
Thank you.

justageek

Shiny_Rock
I'm an avid lurker, not a jeweler, so please get a second (and third and fourth) opinion. BUT:

1. buying from mall stores (I'd actually put sam's club below a mall store since there's a markup, they won't even try to answer technical diamond questions, AND you're buying sight-unseen) is really not encouraged by anyone on this forum. Mostly for the reasons stated above.
2. I, SI1 is not good for a stepcut. You MIGHT get lucky, but a step cut will generally show more color and inclusions than will a similarly graded round stone. However...
3. You probably won't get lucky since the stones are all appraised by IGI, which is a no-no if you want certs you can trust. I've learned from this forum that they're hecka soft on grading, so don't think the PS vendors are overpricing when you enter the certs of the stones into the price calculating tool and see that AGS and GIA-certified I, SI1 stones are more expensive.

HOWEVER, with all that said, if you want the ring -- get it. Who in real life shows off their ring to other real-life people by providing macro shots at 100X magnification? If you're looking for the best color+clarity DEAL, Sam's Club will probably not be it. If you're looking for SIZE over all else and the presence of a pretty, sparkly ring on your finger, this might be an ok deal.

Hope that helps!

justageek

Shiny_Rock
Also, I, SI1 is not "bad" per se. Lots of people have them here. However, they''re I,SI1''s that are usually bought from a trusted vendor, with good certification, and after inspection to make sure that they''re an eye-clean SI1.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justageek is right in regards to IGI certificates. Lots of us buy online so you can search here too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep to all justageek said.

In addition, the primary problem I see with that ring is that although it''s IGI certified, you''re not able to see the exact certificate of the diamond you''re buying. Or maybe you are, and if so, I missed that part.

For those of us buying SI stones (or even VS2+) stones, we''re including the information on the certificate in addition to other helpful tools, like idealscope images when making our purchasing decisions. Without that data, you''re really not able to see what exactly you are getting until the ring is in your hands. You don''t even have the dimensions of the diamond, which really aid in determining if the diamond will face up as the size it''s said to be.

I''ve seen some gorgeous diamonds and jewelry at Costo (which isn''t Sam''s club similar to?) and wouldn''t hesitate to buy a diamond from there, but their diamonds are minium VS2 and I color AND can be seen in person. If I bought from there, I''d have an ideal scope in hand in aiding in making a decision.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to change the topic, but I''ve never looked at the Sam''s Club site before. I just about CMP when I saw a 12.25 ctw Asscher ring there for $347,368.00...
23.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 9:44:43 PM
Author: Ninama

Sorry to change the topic, but I''ve never looked at the Sam''s Club site before. I just about CMP when I saw a 12.25 ctw Asscher ring there for $347,368.00...
23.gif

wha?!? *runs and looks*

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your advice.
My DH is very hesitated to make a major purchase online even though Pricescope vendors are reputable.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
I know, Moonwater! Whodathunk...

What about this yumyum... the specs might not be up to snuff for some, but ooOOOoo, I would love a big, bright white oval:

# Oval diamond solitaire, 2.35 ct. $45,960
# Diamond Color: D
# Diamond Clarity: Internally Flawless (IF)
# Depth: 64.7%
# Table: 58%
# Polish: Good
# Symmetry: Good
# Diamond Measurements: 10.22mm x 7.36mm x 4.76mm
# Mounting: Platinum handmade
# IGI Retail Replacement Value: $84,900.00
# GIA Certified
# This diamond is guaranteed all natural, non-treated, non-conflict

ovalDIF2.35.jpg

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Buy it. Look at it. If you don''t like it, return it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results