shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this RB stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rbc2007

Rough_Rock
Cert : EGL (dated February 21, 2006)

Shape: RB
Cut: Ideal (Hearts & Arrows)
Carat: 2.03
Clarify: VS2
Color: G

Measurements: 8.27 - 8.21 x 4.91 mm
Depth: 59.6%
Table: 60%
Crown Height: 14%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Thin, Faceted

Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Culet: None
Graining: Nil
Fluorescence: None

This is all the info I''ve received so far, so would appreciate any initial thoughts. Thanks much!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only recognized ''ideal'' grade given by a lab is from ags and no lab grades optical symmetry (hearts and arrows)
just because something says ''ideal'' or ''hearts and arrows'' doesn''t mean it is.
you should pay less for an egl graded stone than one of the same characteristics from gia or ags.
read the tutorials, faq''s and glossary here and make sure you know what you are looking for before you buy
2.gif

rbc2007

Rough_Rock
I agree with what you said. I should have been more clear that the commentary of ideal cut and H&A was from the jeweler and not from the certificate.

rbc2007

Rough_Rock
I haven''t seen it live. I''m deciding if I should pay to bring it in or just pass.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:06:04 PM
Author: rbc2007
I agree with what you said. I should have been more clear that the commentary of ideal cut and H&A was from the jeweler and not from the certificate.
certificate..jeweler...guy on the corner...
my point is ''ideal'' is a term that anyone can use.
i don''t think of a round with a 60% table as ''ideal''

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:07:23 PM
Author: Virginia
I ran the numbers through the HCA for you:

Selected: 59.6% depth, 60% table, 14% crown, 43% pavilion, 0% culet

The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Mara said this about the HCA and EGL certs in Woobug''s layaway thread. It''s very important to keep in mind when running %''s through the HCA.

running %''s through HCA is not accurate. the reason is that EGL rounds their percentages, so if an angle really translates to 13.6% for crown, EGL rounds it to 14% which means they are talking about a totally different angle for the stone, which can make a huge difference. same with pavilion.

most EGL stones i have run after a real sarin is performed have changed significantly with scores, for example if this one scored a 1.9 on the HCA with %''s then true angles may be more like a 2.9 on the HCA.. one other thing is that almost all of the EGL certs i have run with %''s then with angles on here have come back significantly worse with accurate, not rounded, numbers. this is another reason why i just don''t love EGL. honestly i feel like 99% of the stones from EGL are graded there for a reason, because they are lax and lenient and the cut is typically only fair or good. if you feel like you could get a better grade, you would send that stone to GIA because they command more $$ after being graded by GIA vs EGL. who doesn''t want to get more money for a stone? someone who knows they wouldn''t be able to.

rbc2007

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:15:33 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 4/17/2006 5:11:15 PM
Author: rbc2007
I haven''t seen it live. I''m deciding if I should pay to bring it in or just pass.
It is interesting that the vendor describes it as H&A if it must be called in? Did the vendor have someone look at it?
Because I''m stuck in the office, everything I know about this stone has been passed on to me. Probably third hand information by the time it reaches me.

A family friend (who is the jeweler I''m working with) is looking at the inventory of his suppliers, and this is one of the stones that is available. So the "ideal" and "H&A" commentary originated from the supplier.

Belle is right, a 60% table is not "ideal." I''m passing on this stone and telling my jeweler to stay away from EGL certs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results