shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this platinum Ceylon Star Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there do let me know your view on this Star Sapphire, is it of a acceptable grade? Or this is a very common star? tksStar Sapphire

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''d like to see the back of the stone and maybe a picture of it held up against the light to see any fractures or just how translucent it is, but from these pictures and the price I''d say someone got a real deal.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/21/2009 8:20:28 PM
Author: Michael_E
I''d like to see the back of the stone and maybe a picture of it held up against the light to see any fractures or just how translucent it is, but from these pictures and the price I''d say someone got a real deal.
I am the one who got the deal:) can I know what are the points to look out for a star sapphire? is the gray an undesirable trait? the star appears faint to me, may I know why do you think that its a ''real deal'' tks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you like grey its not an undesireable trait. personally, i like grey......
if the stars are that good when it you have it in person, you did well.

mz

ps if it had been blue i''m sure it would have gone for more $. the stone looks deep...at least to me from the photo. hope you give us more info when you receive it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty stone! I saw some grey/blue star sapphire and I really liked it, what will you do with it?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2009 10:05:40 AM
Author: chictomato

can I know what are the points to look out for a star sapphire? is the gray an undesirable trait? the star appears faint to me, may I know why do you think that its a 'real deal' tks!

The most desirable traits in a star sapphire, besides color, are translucency, sharpness and intensity of the star as well as the star being even, well centered and with straight legs. Grey and white are also colors and are attractive if they are even and not splotchy. More intense colors are valued much higher, but then that's the case with everything. Star sapphires which are opaque and show very distinct growth lines and zoning are valued lower than those having good translucency. High domed sapphires show their stars the best and are usually more attractive and look better once set. Drawbacks to these stones are that they often are fractured on the back side to the point that the fracture is visible from the front and that they are also often cut with an extremely rounded back side, making them look like a ball and very difficult to set.

The sapphire you've shown look like it has pretty good translucency and an fairly even appearance without the growth lines being too apparent or distracting. The back looks pretty flatish and the star looks good and oriented properly, (it also points in the right direction in every picture, meaning that they didn't fake the star). You'll have to look it over once you get it, but if it looks good to you and it doesn't have any significant hidden fractures I'd say that you did well with it. Remember that the stars are only apparent in light which is not diffuse. This means you need to view the star in sunlight or single point light sources...fluorescent lighting will make the stone look shimmery, like an opalescent button, but without the star. Looking at it under multiple single point lights, like Christmas icicle lights will show multiple stars all over the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the picture, I think it''s going to be a nice stone. Gray usually demands a lesser price point but this one is a very pleasant gray colour that I like, and I normally don''t even like gray in gemstones. The star looks decent, possibly centered, and might be as transculent as the vendor claims. If they are all true, you''ve got a deal on it.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2009 10:25:28 AM
Author: D&T
pretty stone! I saw some grey/blue star sapphire and I really liked it, what will you do with it?
Hi D&T! As usual I would like to set it as a ring:) what about you? Have you found any ''potential'' ones:)?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2009 10:12:15 AM
Author: movie zombie

mz

ps if it had been blue i''m sure it would have gone for more $. the stone looks deep...at least to me from the photo. hope you give us more info when you receive it.

I am keeping my finger cross on this:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2009 10:12:15 AM
Author: movie zombie

mz

I am keeping my finger cross on this:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI there I was wondering if this sapphire oval cabochon of Dimension: App 10.7 x 8.7 x 4.1mm can fit just any 11X9mm oval LOGR mount? Are there any difference in mounting a faceted oval and a oval cab? tks

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nope, it generally won''t work very well to try mounting a cab in a setting made for a custom stone...unless you''re willing to modify the setting. How it''s modified all depends on the base of the cab and whether it''s curved or flat. If it''s flat you can add a rail inside of the crown for the cab to rest on. If the bottom of the cab is curved then whatever you add to support the cab will need to made to fit that curvature. If the setting is a bezel setting then it becomes easier, as long as the dimensions of the cab are pretty close to the bezel size and the bezel area is thick enough to allow accommodating different sized stones.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/23/2009 10:00:52 PM
Nope, it generally won't work very well to try mounting a cab in a setting made for a custom stone...unless you're willing to modify the setting. How it's modified all depends on the base of the cab and whether it's curved or flat. If it's flat you can add a rail inside of the crown for the cab to rest on. If the bottom of the cab is curved then whatever you add to support the cab will need to made to fit that curvature. If the setting is a bezel setting then it becomes easier, as long as the dimensions of the cab are pretty close to the bezel size and the bezel area is thick enough to allow accommodating different sized stones.

Thanks Michael_E for the advise. Logr replied that this will fit , do you think so?9X11mm Is anyone aware of any website that sells cab setting? tks!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2009 11:33:49 AM
Date: 11/22/2009 10:05:40 AM

Author: chictomato

can I know what are the points to look out for a star sapphire? is the gray an undesirable trait? the star appears faint to me, may I know why do you think that its a ''real deal'' tks!

The most desirable traits in a star sapphire, besides color, are translucency, sharpness and intensity of the star as well as the star being even, well centered and with straight legs. Grey and white are also colors and are attractive if they are even and not splotchy. More intense colors are valued much higher, but then that''s the case with everything. Star sapphires which are opaque and show very distinct growth lines and zoning are valued lower than those having good translucency. High domed sapphires show their stars the best and are usually more attractive and look better once set. Drawbacks to these stones are that they often are fractured on the back side to the point that the fracture is visible from the front and that they are also often cut with an extremely rounded back side, making them look like a ball and very difficult to set.

The sapphire you''ve shown look like it has pretty good translucency and an fairly even appearance without the growth lines being too apparent or distracting. The back looks pretty flatish and the star looks good and oriented properly, (it also points in the right direction in every picture, meaning that they didn''t fake the star). You''ll have to look it over once you get it, but if it looks good to you and it doesn''t have any significant hidden fractures I''d say that you did well with it. Remember that the stars are only apparent in light which is not diffuse. This means you need to view the star in sunlight or single point light sources...fluorescent lighting will make the stone look shimmery, like an opalescent button, but without the star. Looking at it under multiple single point lights, like Christmas icicle lights will show multiple stars all over the stone.

Hi all! I had just received the star sapphire! I am pretty excited as this is my first star purchase. I think it looks very pretty, however, as usual I do not know the ''grade'' of it:) Let me just give it a brief description base on what I see. Pls let me know if it is still a ''good deal''
[=). It is well-polish on the front and the star is very define and even in all 6 legs. I do not know if it is centered, as the star ''move'' depending on the direction of the light source. It is translucent, but it is more of a white, pearly body color. Does ''fracture'' means crack? I do not see any. The back is flatish, uneven and unpolish and there seems to a slight dent and 3-4 little black dots. When held against a strong-light source, you can see a patch of cloudiness due to the slight dent on the back, however you can''t see cloudiness or marks in normal lighting. It looks exactly like the photos. Its certainly not rounded at the back. However there is these diagonal grains that can also be seen in the photos in the link. So guys, how does it fare?tks in advance

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
this is a photo of the side, as mentioned it is uneven, with a dent going inwards.

Photo0589.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

MyRing98765.jpgMyRing98765.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
front

Photo0594.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
front, back facing light, as mentioned the cloudiness due to the dent on the back, which cannot be detected in general light condition

Photo0599.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results