shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this pink sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lori24

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been reading stuff on this website for a few months now, but this is my first post- hooray!
My boyfriend and I are looking for a hot pink sapphire to have set in a Mark Morrell fancy torchiere
6.gif
. I received this attached picture from a B&M store and I''d like your opinions on it. Neither of us knows a whole lot about buying sapphires, although I''ve learned a lot from this website already. Also, if you don''t think this one is a good deal, what are your suggestions for where to look? We are a little nervous about ordering a stone to have sent to us, but if that''s the best way we''d be willing to try it. We are looking for an approximately 1.5 carat round hot pink sapphire with a lot of fire. Neither of us is particular about heated vs. not heated. The one that''s attached is priced at $1,947. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

1947 pink sapphire.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m really new at the colored stones thing, certainly not an expert. But that just seems like a really high price for a pink sapphire, especially since it has what looks like a moderate-sized window. I''m sure there are better deals to be had...

Lori24

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I was thinking that myself (I didn''t even know what a "window" was until I started reading pricescope posts haha). Thanks for your opinion!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, I think that has a window.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep searching. That one doesn''t do it for me. I''m sure the ladies here can help you find all sorts of options.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very windowed

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, big window. Pretty color though.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re looking for a hot pink sapphire, this one isn''t quite what I consider hot pink, and it does look like it has a large window. I just did a brief search on www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com for some pink sapphires, and I couldn''t really find much in a hot pink in a round cut.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
argg forgot to attach this picture

Richard Homer Concave. Love the color.

ETA: I just saw TGals- and its gorgeous too!

concavesapphire00809.JPG

Lori24

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for your help- all those stones are soooo pretty!

Lori24

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think would be a good size pink sapphire for us to look for? I know it comes down to personal preference, but for those of you who have seen the MM Fancy Torchiere, what do you think would look good in it?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Whoa..pull the shades closed because that huge window is letting a lot of light through...D&T''s two stones are nice as is TG''s..for that kind of money you should be able to get a pretty good stone!...Get as many options and choices as you can...learn a little bit about what to look for...lots of sites online that a quick read through will help you get a basic understanding...have many choices like I said and grab the one that catchers your eye again and again

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone T-gal and D&T put up are very nice. I think you should look at some pink stones in person to figure out what shade you like. When I started looking I went to a bunch of high end jewelry stores to get an idea of what was out there. I didn''t buy anything, but I got to see the stones in real life.

For size, I would go to a place with preset rings and try on different sizes to get an idea of what you like on your hand (of course there is a point where your budget comes into play). Sapphires are denser than diamonds, and are often cut deeper, so they usually face up smaller. So when you figure out what size range is best, it is good to know the mm in diameter because the ct weight might not translate from one stone to another.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The stone you posted is not only windowed (which prevents it being very sparkly, except on the edges, and often diminishes depth of color), but also seems to be foggy in the middle (not so good clarity). I have to say you''ll have to be very patient with finding a round sapphire that fits all your desires, as that''s not the shape sapphires are usually cut into (if you could settle for an oval or a cushion things would be much easier). Of course, you can have one custom cut, but you should know that might be pricey. HERE you can see what I think is a good example of a hot pink untreated sapphire; it''s not round, it''s not 1.5 carats, but for the price it''s very good. It seems to have a lot of life (sparkle, scintillation), and it''s got great depth of color (what I mean by that is all the shades of pink you can see inside the stone at the same time - compared to a somewhat flat color of yours that lacks depth). Hope this helps.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lori!
35.gif

I''m SO glad that you came to PS to learn about pink sapphires before buying something at the B&M store. There''s lots of valuable information here and the members are more than willing to share their expertise.

Welcome to PS!

Lori

Lori24

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help. The main reason I want a round pink sapphire is because that is the shape of stone required by Mark Morrell to set into his fancy torchiere (which I am totally in love with) I''m flexible about the size and to a certain extent the color (I just don''t want something too light pink). It sounds like most of you think I should look to buy one online- If I purchase one through the internet, should I bring it directly to a jeweler to check out? Thank you guys again for all your help and knowledge

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I would walk away from the B&M sapphire for the huge window and rather expensive price for the quality offered. The advantage of shopping online (only with reputable vendors) offers a greater selection and more competitive pricing. The Pala stone, RH and NSC are all pretty stones. If you are interested in the Pala inventory, I suggest contacting Gary Dutton at www.diamondexperts.com to get you pricing because he seems to offer the lowest markup. I would not bring an item to a jeweller to check it out due a conflict of interest; most jewellers will try their best to put down the stone in order to make a sale of their own. The best option is an independent appraiser.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Though I''m pretty much a novice, I have to agree with the experts that any of the stones that the PSers have shown look far better than the one from B&M store. But what color are you really looking for? The stone you posted seems to me more like a purply-pink (more purple than pink), which was what all of the PS-suggested stones looked like too, with the exception of ma re''s stone from multicolour. That is truly what I would call a hot pink. I know you said you didn''t have a strong color preference so long as it wasn''t too pale, but given the choice between two identical stones except for color (one being hot pink and the other purply-pink), which would you prefer?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 10:56:41 PM
Author:Lori24
Hi, I''ve been reading stuff on this website for a few months now, but this is my first post- hooray!
My boyfriend and I are looking for a hot pink sapphire to have set in a Mark Morrell fancy torchiere
6.gif
. I received this attached picture from a B&M store and I''d like your opinions on it. Neither of us knows a whole lot about buying sapphires, although I''ve learned a lot from this website already. Also, if you don''t think this one is a good deal, what are your suggestions for where to look? We are a little nervous about ordering a stone to have sent to us, but if that''s the best way we''d be willing to try it. We are looking for an approximately 1.5 carat round hot pink sapphire with a lot of fire. Neither of us is particular about heated vs. not heated. The one that''s attached is priced at $1,947. Thanks for all your suggestions!!
Oh heck no! That stone has a huge window. For almost 2k you can do much better. I really like that sapphire posted from multicolour. I''ve purchased from them before and been very happy. I haven''t had to return anything though so I can''t comment on what their returns are like. I have a mahenge spinel from them that was graded a oR 4/5 and its a knock out! I''m very curious to see what a 5/5 would look like!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Mark Morrell''s website to see the Torchiere (very pretty, by the way!) and saw that the stone should be between 6-8mm in diameter. The Richard Homer at 5.5mm may be too small, but maybe that''s close enough that he can work with it.

In terms of figuring out what size you think looks good you can also try printing off the sheet from NSC at http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/pdf/stone%20mm%20dimensions.pdf. (Someone else here at PS provided the link and I love having that sheet. Very helpful and thank you to whoever posted it!) Have fun shopping for your sapphire!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 1:47:54 PM
Author: astphard
I went to Mark Morrell's website to see the Torchiere (very pretty, by the way!) and saw that the stone should be between 6-8mm in diameter. The Richard Homer at 5.5mm may be too small, but maybe that's close enough that he can work with it.

In terms of figuring out what size you think looks good you can also try printing off the sheet from NSC at http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/pdf/stone mm dimensions.pdf. (Someone else here at PS provided the link and I love having that sheet. Very helpful and thank you to whoever posted it!) Have fun shopping for your sapphire!

Just making the link clickable.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/pdf/stone%20mm%20dimensions.pdf

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
A pink sapphire will look just scrumptious set in a petite torchiere because the color will peek out of the sides. Please please pretty please with cherries on top post photos once you get it!

Oh, yeah, I forgot you had an actual question you wanted us to answer. I was just drooling.
18.gif

I like the Natural Sapphire Co. one best of the 3.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I went to Mark Morrell''s website to see the Torchiere (very pretty, by the way!) and saw that the stone should be between 6-8mm in diameter. The Richard Homer at 5.5mm may be too small, but maybe that''s close enough that he can work with it.

In terms of figuring out what size you think looks good you can also try printing off the sheet from NSC at http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/pdf/stone%20mm%20dimensions.pdf. (Someone else here at PS provided the link and I love having that sheet. Very helpful and thank you to whoever posted it!) Have fun shopping for your sapphire!
Just to let you know that Richard Homer has many, many stones that are not posted on his web site. You can contact him directly, or go through a jeweler such as Wink Jones, if you want a RH stone that is a bit larger. His concave cuts are amazing, by the way.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 7:35:06 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Just to let you know that Richard Homer has many, many stones that are not posted on his web site. You can contact him directly, or go through a jeweler such as Wink Jones, if you want a RH stone that is a bit larger. His concave cuts are amazing, by the way.
agreed! some of those pinks just seem to glow with that cutting style
30.gif

I would definately keep looking, and if you think you find something, post it here and all the nice people will chip in with their comments. I would suggest contacting some cutters, because a lot of time they have gems that are not posted on the website- or they have rough they can cut for you.That stunning setting needs an equally stunning center, I''m sure you''ll find one you love!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results