shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What do you think of my new stone?

To celebrate an important career moment, I decided to buy a diamond. My criteria were:
Color: D-H
Weight: Over .5 ct
Clarity: I1
Fluoresence: As much as possible
Cut: Fantastic
Price: As little as possible

Here are the specs of the one I found:

Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 0.84
Color: E
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 54%
Crown angle: 34.8
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Polish: EX
Symmetry:EX
Culet: N
Girdle: M-STK F
Fluorescence: Strong
Measurements: 6.03x6.07x3.77

HCA: 1.6, TIC, ex-ex-ex-vg.

I guess I should explain about the I1 clarity. I don''t expect it to be eye clean--in fact, I hope it isn''t. I like inclusions; I think they''re romantic, though I agree that some can be ugly. I''m hoping the inclusions in this diamond will be visible and pleasing to my eye. I also am not too picky about the spread of this diamond, as long as it''s big enough to see the arrows (assuming it has any), the inclusions (assuming I like them), and the pretty purple color of the fluorescence in sunlight. I''m buying it for its other qualities, not its size.

It''s being drop shipped, so I don''t have photos or IS images; if I don''t like it when I see it, I''ll have 30 days to return it.

What do you guys think of the cut? Will it be fiery? And is there any way to guess what the chances are of its having nice arrows? Josh at James Allen (where I bought it) told me that 90% of ex/ex ideals would have "arrow patterning," I think he called it, although he went on to say the arrows might not satisfy picky people. But I was under the impression that GIA ex symmetry had little to do with "optical symmetry" and arrows. Who''s right?

I guess I''ll know tomorrow when it arrives.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that you think outside the box. I bet it will be a fire cracker. Can''t wait to see what you think of it tomorrow. Good luck. I have seen some nice I1''s before. I also love the strong fluro. Could be a great find!!!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
He likely knows who the cutter is and that cutter gets decent arrows with ex/ex most of the time.
I dont think it was a blanket statement covering all diamonds.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That could be, Storm.

I don''t need them to be picky-picky-perfect, anyway. I just want to be able to see regular-looking arrows when I look at my diamond in the shade.

But Storm, what do you think of the cut, other than symmetry? I know you have strong opinions on crown & pavilion angles, etc. Thoughts?

And thanks, Kaleigh.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a good combo angle wise.
without an is image or all the numbers its hard to say much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see pics when it arrives, it sounds like it could be everything you hope! I always get super interested when you buy a diamond
30.gif
30.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Where is it, where is it, where is it?

Yoo hoo, Fed Ex Guy! Bring me my diamond!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
IT''S HERE!!

And I can''t decide.

The cut is exquisite. It sparkles like crazy, and I see beautiful arrows through the ideals scope.

The color is divine, especially in the sunlight. It has a lovely blueish-purplish cast, and strangely enough, maybe because of the fluorescence, it doesn''t do that thing of going dark in direct sun as much as my other diamonds (a transition cut and an OEC).

I love the size. It''s plenty big enough, and not too bit.

However, to my surprise, I''m not liking the inclusions. Without a loupe, I can barely see them at all with my middle-aged eyes. I have to stare and stare. They get lost in the sparkle, and if anything they add a bit of contrast. But under the loupe, they''re prominent black smudges that I want to wipe away. They get in the way of my enjoying the arrows.

What to do?

By the way, here are all the specs from the GIA label (the crown height is different from above, for some reason):

Meas: 6.03-6.07 x 3.77
Carat weight: 0.84 ct
Color: E

Total Depth: 62.3
Table Size: 54%
Crown Angle: 35.0 degrees
Crown Height: 16.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8 degrees
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: M-Sl Th, faceted
Fl: Strong Blue

These angles give an HCA score of 1.7, still ex-ex-ex-vg, TIC.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh, sorry I missed this on Friday. I was so busy that day and over the weekend, I''m just now catching up. Can you post pics of your new stone? I''m all for I1 clarity stones if they are reasonably eye clean, but I would prefer no black inclusions. That would definitely be distracting when trying to appreciate those arrows.

I read your other question about fluorescence, and I wish I had an answer. My pear is E with medium blue, but I have never had the opportunity to see it under black light. I do see that electric-blue-violet look in sunlight though, which I think is really pretty. I would like more information on fluoresecnce as well. Is the degree of fluorescence measurable or just based on the observation of the grader?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m returning it this week, probably tomorrow. I''ll try to take pictures before I do. In the end, I decided I didn''t like the inclusions and I wanted more fluorescence.

I''m starting to doubt I''ll ever find my perfect imperfect diamond. I have too many requirements! Or rather, my main requirements--tons of fluo, a beautiful crystal inclusion, and impeccable cut--are too hard to meet.

That H I1 that Virginia just bought is close to my ideal, except it''s too big (for my budget) and is missing the fluorescence. What a lovely inclusion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results