shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this 10.7ct spessartite garnet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5278

I know next to nothing about gemstones and would love to get the experts' opinion on this. I just love the colour and the size.

I am thinking perhaps of setting it in a micropave halo setting in rose gold for a RHR, or alternatively a pendant.

Yay or nay?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I'd say that's very cheap for the size and color, so I'm concerned about the accuracy of the photo. The stone is probably a bit darker than that and not as pretty, but I could be wrong, and this could turn out to be a great deal (usually spessartites similar to that one cost about double). But are you sure that you'd be comfortable with such a large stone in a ring with a halo - that's quite an eye-catcher!

Edit: I was in the middle of something so it took me a few minutes to post, and in the meantime you posted a second one; that one (the smaller) doesen't strike me as something special - I've seen pyrope garnets from Mozambique that look as good, if not better, and are possibly cheaper.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2009 4:40:22 AM
Author: ma re
I''d say that''s very cheap for the size and color, so I''m concerned about the accuracy of the photo. The stone is probably a bit darker than that and not as pretty, but I could be wrong, and this could turn out to be a great deal (usually spessartites similar to that one cost about double). But are you sure that you''d be comfortable with such a large stone in a ring with a halo - that''s quite an eye-catcher!

Edit: I was in the middle of something so it took me a few minutes to post, and in the meantime you posted a second one; that one (the smaller) doesen''t strike me as something special - I''ve seen pyrope garnets from Mozambique that look as good, if not better, and are possibly cheaper.
Thank you, ma re. I''m honoured to hear from you. I value yr input greatly.

I guess you''re right, such a size would be tad too large for a ring, LOL.

Essentially, I''m looking for a nice red stone, or a green tsavorite or a tanzanite to put into a ring. Not even sure where to look. Do you have any recommendations?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments, glad if I can help
1.gif

You can probably find links to vendors here on PS (never tried, but they''re here somewhere), or you can google something like "loose gemstones" or anything similar. There are some sites I browse regularly when I''d like to see the prices of stones, like www.multicolour.com for more affordable stones of (mostly) medium quality. Or there are sites like www.awseomegems.com with some really nice pieces, but often some pretty outrageous prices too. But browsing several vendors and comparing stones for color, size, clarity and treatment will show you enough to judge some basic price ranges.

If you''re looking for a large, affordable red stone, there aren''t many options (unless you don''t mind a heavily treated stone). Red zircons can be quite nice and sparkly, but you should be careful while wearing one as they''re not the most durable of stones - OK for occasional wear. They''re also quite affordable and come in decent sizes. Rhodolites are also candidates, but they''re more purple than red, while pyrope garnets rarely come in large sizes. You can also check hessonite garnets which are similar to red zircons in color, also affordable and quite durable.

If I get some other ideas I''ll be sure to tell
2.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Ma re I really enjoy your post..you are well informed and always bring something good to the table. Phoenix i second what ma re said!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It does look like it''s been lit up a fair bit. If you''re interested in it, ask him to take a picture of it on his hand, outdoors in diffused sunlight. That will give you a better representation of how it will look set.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Amethystguy - thank you for the vote of confidence
1.gif

Kismet - good suggestion!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I just bought a bunch of gems from Mastercutgems including a beautiful spess that is brilliant orange. The photos on his website are in diffuse lighting, and all the stones that he sent outperformed his photos.

I need to upload the photos, I bought too many stones and now I have a glut of photos to edit.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix, I agree with the other posters that you can request for more pictures in natural light.

Do you like concave cuts? Richard Homer has some beautiful garnets on his website. He is at concavegems.com.

empress

Shiny_Rock
I recently viewed three stones from Mastercut and purchased one.

I found the pictures to be accurate.

He was very accommodating and returning the two stones was not a problem.

I think you ALWAYS have to see a stone in person to make up your mind and get an accurate impression.

IMHO, Empress.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix,
The cutting looks great but rather dark on my monitor. However, I’ve heard good things about Dana so if you are local, it’s worth a try. You’ll only be out a few $ for return shipping if you don’t like it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be a great color and fiery; my only concern is how dark it might be.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations and comments.

I think the two stones I posted are a wee bit too dark.

I exchanged some more emails with Dana and she sent me pics of two other stones, a red spinel and a tourmaline. I think they're all a bit too pink for me. I'll keep on searching. Essentially, I'd love a bright red stone (not sure yet which type of gemstone) or a really green tsav or a strong blue tanzanite.

Paraibain has some really yummy stones. I have my eyes on this one (not sure how much violet it 'll show - the video shows it to be all blue):

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=757

I think it'll be nice to set this stone in a diamond halo, perhaps in rose gold. I have some unused 4 pointers that may come in handy for this purpose (at least on the band). What do ya'll think?

Chrono, unfortunately I'm not local and the cost of shipping back and forth and insurance may end up being as much as the stone itself.
4.gif

SimplySplendid, I don't know what concave cut is. I'll have to read up on it. In the meantime, I'd like to ask you: do concave cut stones look better than non-concave cut ones or is it just a different look altogether?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix,
I think Dana is a “he”, not a she.
As for concave cutting, you’ll see many fine examples on Richard Homer’s website: www.concavegems.com
To me, concave cutting has a very different look. You won’t get the flash of colour, rather as Mr Ma Re has often said, it shimmers. I prefer the light coloured concave stones over dark coloured ones.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yes, concaves don't scintillate like those stones fashioned in a usual, flat facet style. But they can do a wonderful job at bringing out the best color from a stone and sometimes they seem to glow - depends on the material.

I don't think that tanzy from the video will show any significant amount of violet, but setting it in rose gold might make it appear more violet than it really is (especially in a bezel or a halo). Doing a halo would also darken it a bit, but would that be a good or a bad thing we can only guess, as we haven't seen it IRL.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My monitors are color calibrated (I work with Pantone colors so has to be) and the color is quite dark. The cut is gorgeous though. I like concave cuts on neon bright stones. I think it looks pretty hot.

-A

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 8:01:27 AM
Author: Chrono
Phoenix,
I think Dana is a “he”, not a she.
As for concave cutting, you’ll see many fine examples on Richard Homer’s website: www.concavegems.com
To me, concave cutting has a very different look. You won’t get the flash of colour, rather as Mr Ma Re has often said, it shimmers. I prefer the light coloured concave stones over dark coloured ones.
He he, I thought Dana was a female name!
1.gif
Thanks for pointing that out. I''d hate to get someone''s gender wrong.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 8:34:55 AM
Author: ma re
Yes, concaves don''t scintillate like those stones fashioned in a usual, flat facet style. But they can do a wonderful job at bringing out the best color from a stone and sometimes they seem to glow - depends on the material.

I don''t think that tanzy from the video will show any significant amount of violet, but setting it in rose gold might make it appear more violet than it really is (especially in a bezel or a halo). Doing a halo would also darken it a bit, but would that be a good or a bad thing we can only guess, as we haven''t seen it IRL.
Thanks again, ma re, for your wonderful advice.

I may be setting it in WG instead, would that help to make it less violet? Re the halo: I don''t really like dark gemstones. Hmmmm.....how do I get to see it IRL? I *hate* being in Shanghai, even if I ordered something and returned it, apart from shipping costs, I''m sure the Chinese authority would slap 17% (or something like that) duties on me!!
4.gif

Maybe I should just buy a red stone from Dana and a tsav from Richard Homer (check out my latest thread by the way pls) and that tanzanite to see which one I''d really want! I''d love to have all three but like everyone else, I have a budget constraint!
7.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 11:21:32 AM
Author: Phoenix

Thanks again, ma re, for your wonderful advice.

I may be setting it in WG instead, would that help to make it less violet? Re the halo: I don''t really like dark gemstones. Hmmmm.....how do I get to see it IRL? I *hate* being in Shanghai, even if I ordered something and returned it, apart from shipping costs, I''m sure the Chinese authority would slap 17% (or something like that) duties on me!!
4.gif

Maybe I should just buy a red stone from Dana and a tsav from Richard Homer (check out my latest thread by the way pls) and that tanzanite to see which one I''d really want! I''d love to have all three but like everyone else, I have a budget constraint!
7.gif
Regarding setting it in WG; that wouldn''t make it more violet than it already is (if it is), but there is something else to think about when considering white. If there is a slight grey undertone in it''s blue, WG might aplify it, making the stone seem more grey - doesen''t have to happen, but it could. If it doesen''t have any grey that won''t be the case. I''d personally advise WG only if the stone has a color of a very nice saturation (color doesen''t look shallow), and judging by the pic this one is one of them. Reason why I say that is because blue stones of lower color saturation tend to look washed out or "bleached" when set in WG - they don''t always, but often.

About getting to see it IRL; there is the next best thing, and that''s asking the vendor to make extra photos for you in various lighting conditions. That way you can get a better sense of how the stone really looks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with Mr Ma Re. Setting a blue stone in WG will not bring out any violet undertones. It will usually bring out any undesirable gray undertones if the stone has any.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ma re and Chrono. I''m certainly a looooong way away from being educated in the gemstone arena. Really appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results