shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of the light yellow diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
in the w-x range? I really like the yellows. I love the fact that the w-x is not dark and looks like it has tons of fire and sparkle. Could these light yellows be considered canaries?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s a matter of taste, Sunni. My niece is considering a light yellow and she also prefers the lighter shades.

Check out THIS page by diamondsbylauren.com to see the different colors of the yellows.

The "fancy" yellows do not begin until you are out of the alphabet letters. From what I''ve read here, you want to make sure that you get a yellow with a GIA certificate b/c they are the strictest in grading the yellows.

Also, you want to make sure that you do not pay for a fancy yellow and get a U-V, W-X, or Y-Z colored stone. Those colors are great if you like them, but you do not want to pay the "fancy" premium for them.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/25/2005 11:16:38 PM
Author:Sunni79
in the w-x range? I really like the yellows. I love the fact that the w-x is not dark and looks like it has tons of fire and sparkle. Could these light yellows be considered canaries?
Absolutely not, but they can be considered beautiful!

Wink

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot. I definitely want it to look yellow without it being too dark. Is a diamond in the w-x range considered a poor quality yellow diamond, or a low grade white stone? Also, I am thinking of a wg setting because I don''t really like yg. I could do a yellow gold head and wg band. Would the diamond look bad in a wg setting?

Thanks.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2005 12:26:12 AM
Author: Sunni79
Thanks a lot. I definitely want it to look yellow without it being too dark. Is a diamond in the w-x range considered a poor quality yellow diamond, or a low grade white stone? Also, I am thinking of a wg setting because I don''t really like yg. I could do a yellow gold head and wg band. Would the diamond look bad in a wg setting?

Thanks.

Neither, it is considered a light fancy yellow by some, a near fancy yellow by others, and by those who like light yellow stones it is considered a very pretty stone. Why would you limit yourself to choosing it to be one nasty description or the other? If it is well cut it is beautiful, if not, then what does it matter. If it is not pretty why own it? If it is pretty, why worry about what others call it?

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Canary" is a bird... the word is used differently in virtually each shop ! This is not a standard commercial name (like the lab color grades) - just folclore.

It could mean anything from "fancy" to "fancy vivid orange-yellow" depending on what sits on the counter
34.gif

W-X is nice on large stones that have enough volume to "hold the color". Some shapes favor the light collor allot - radint is the typical solution. Cushions work in about the same way. Round ? Not really. Emerald cut - well, really no. Princess ? If you can find one...

Y-Z is quite a bit more yellow and borders "Fancy light " with some luck. The same as above applies - cut and weight make allot of difference.

All in All
30.gif
them!
9.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I also love them.
The problem with the W-X range is the pricing...
The Rapaport price sheet doesn't go so far, and there is a danger that you will pay to much.

Regards,

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I really like light yellow diamonds.
1.gif
Stones in the W to Z range are distinctly yellow, albeit their shade is not very intense or deep. They are very delicate, yet you can easily tell they are yellow, not a tinted white (like an L color would look). I have also found that it depends a lot on the cut. Most light yellows are radiant cuts because that very shape tends to make the color appear a tad darker. All the light yellow round shaped diamonds I have seen didnt look very good - they were looking kind of washed out. I have also noticed that all those yellows tend to look quite a lot darker once set.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me I dont like them I like brown and orange better if I was going colored diamonds.

I do think when buying them that you need to talk to a someone who specializes in them.
Just like if I was buying a super-ideal h&a diamond Id talk to a vendor who I considered an expert on them.

The person who I know of who knows the most about them is David at diamondsbylauren.com
While we disagree from time to time on some issues, I still consider him an exellent vendor for colored diamonds and an expert on them.

Wink Jones is one of my favorite vendors and from the above posts it sounds like he knows a thing or 5 about them too so Id check with him also.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Everyone!
Thanks for the nice words- I really appreciáte them ( your checks are forthcoming) KIDDING KIDDING IT''S a JOKE!!!!!

Here''s then main problem with the term "Canary".
It has no precise gemolical definition. Much like the term "Premium Cut". It could be a wonderful 60/60...oops, I mean H&A 57/61- or it could be just a name someone who knows little about the cut of diamonds puts on the stock they possess.

I prefer more descriptive names. GIA''s are a good start.
On a GIA color origin report a U-V, W-X , or Y-Z are descrtibed as "LIGHT YELLOW"
Although if we get a full GIA report, which includes clarity, GIA omits the words "LIGHT YELLOW"
502cert.JPG

If a yellow diamond is faint- it''s still yellow, but very very light. Faint yellow diamonds sometimes look antique- they can have great sparkle, but if someone wants to see yellow in thier diamond, light yellow is a better choice.
If a diamond is light yellow, that is much more like the color of a lemon
In my experience GIA graded U-V can be faint, or it can be light yellow- the same for W-X. GIA graded Y-Z can be a fairly strong Light Yellow shade.
I have even seen diamonds GIA graded to be "Fancy Light Yellow"to be faint. The Light Yellow grades of U-V- up through Fancy Yellow are much less precise the colorless grades of D-J. Grading the presence and hue of color is far more subjective then grading the absence of it.

Like the overuse of the term "premium cut" the use of the term "Canary" as the only descibing color "can be misleading to the consumer.

Yes Wink does know a think or 20- I mean he survived Niagra Falls in a Kyack- just look at his avitar

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2005 6:33:42 AM
Author: Stephan
I also love them.
The problem with the W-X range is the pricing...
The Rapaport price sheet doesn''t go so far, and there is a danger that you will pay to much.

Regards,

Good Point Stephan.

Yes, it''s difficult to gauge the value of light yellow diamonds.
Lately, larger light yellow diamonds have seen sharp increases, from the rough.
But then again, so have all large diamonds- of any color. ALL large diamonds are up. This means a $25000 five carat diamond is "cheap"today.

In general, it''s quite difficult to use Rappaport Price as a guide. There are so many factors that make a diamond worth whatever it''s worth.
It used to be possible for a sharp internet consumer to buy a large diamond - say a 5 carat round, H/SI1 for a few points below Rap- or even more if it has Blue or any number of factors.
I don''t think it''s too easy to buy a well cut 5.00 H/SI1 below rap today.
In the case of D/VS1, forget about it- well cut stones bring well above Rap.

That''s why using the list requires extensive market knowledge.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m glad that people are acknowledging my posts! I have another another post about the measurements of a yellow diamond. Can anyone tell me if they are good?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
A couple of years ago I embarked on a journey to find a yellow diamond...and I learned a lot.
20.gif

The light yellow shades, commonly w-z as you cite, are not "Fancy yellows." True fancy yellows are graded as Fancy Light yellow, Fancy yellow, fancy intense yellow, and fancy vivid yellow, and the price escalates accordingly. What Patty says about GIA is also very true--they are the authority on fancy colored grading and I'd never buy a fancy yellow without a GIA cert.

When I saw W-Z diamonds and Light Fancy yellows, they were not for me. They are beautiful and do have the yellow tint with tons of fire (if they are cut well) but I wanted very yellow, a true "canary" if you will. Since I didn't have $70,000 to spend for the size I wanted, I decided to wait, and eventually got a colorless diamond (H) ering upgrade.

I think you should go and see these stones for yourself. That was the key for me.... They look a LOT different in person than on the computer. For example, when I held the fancy light yellow in the sun, it just looked like a Lor M colored stone to me. Also, you can get lucky and get a fancy light yellow that is cut really well and maybe was borderline fancy yellow--that would be a good value.
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Sunni,
Can you post a link to the other thread?

Jennifer- yes, i''s true that the lightest grade with the word "fancy" in the title is Fancy Light Yellow ( or whatever color)
Yet, I still look at light yellows, and even faint colored diamods as "Fancy Color"
To me, if the diamond has a distincive color to it, it''s somehing different- a "Fancy" color.
There are many people that love the lighter shades.

Of course many people feel as you do- they want the deper shades of yellow.
It''s simply
It''s great when you can find a very strong Fancy Light Yellow- for they look a lot like the next more expensive grade- Fancy Yellow.

No question, it is difficult to represent the color on a computer- yet it''s also difficult to judge the color loose ( unset).
Even Fancy Intense can look washed out in certain direct sunlight situations.

Every diamond I''ve ever seen has different appreances in different lighting situations- and this goes double for ALL fancy color diamonds

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
David, "you" look at the tinted dimaonds as "fancy" or does the industry?
33.gif
I know this probably sounds confrontational but I asking in earnest--my understanding is that "fancy" is really for true colored diamonds....w, x, y,z stones or any other tinted diamond truly isn't fancy by industry standards...?

I am certainly not an expert but was just trying to share a consumer's POV. I usually end up advising people who "think" they know what they want to go see diamonds/settings in person to learn what they really prefer, as in this case. But I would like my understanding around the use of the term "fancy" clarified if I am not understanding it properly.
1.gif

ETA: I am not the first person I know who saw a fancy light yellow stone on the computer or in a magazine, then in person was very disappointed. Wanting a "canary" diamond and a light yellow diamond are two different things.
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
David, my local guy is calling in some yellows for my niece to look at. I asked him if they were GIA certified and he said that they would be either GIA or Cap Beasley stones. I did a search on Cap Beasley and he sounds like someone who knows his stuff, so he should be okay, right?

I also sent him the link your webpage but I don''t know if he went there. I''m trying to get my guy to know all of you guys!
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer- I appreciate your posts- I don''t see them as confrontational at all.

Good question.
What is a fancy color diamond?
What is a colorless diamond?
Does an M color that faces up colorless classify? Not ïn the "industry" If peole see it does the owner tell them, "It''s not really a white diamond"
Why would they? If someone says- Wow I can see a tint in that stone""- BIG DEAL. If the person who bought the diamond actually paid a fair price for the M then they can tell the person to go to heck knowing they have thousands of dollars more in thier account then someone who bought a G.

Of course, if a dealer was to represent M color as "colorless", or Fancy Light Yellow as "Dark Yellow"they will have a long list of dissatisfied customers. I''m sure this happens.
There are many people who actually prefer a lighter yellow.
My contention is that many W-X, and Y-Z stones look quite a bit like a Fancy Light Yellow. Kind of the "K-L-M"colors of the Fancy Color Diamond world. If one picks a true LIGHT YELLOW ( not faint) correctly most people looking at the ring will immediately recognize the diamond has a discernable yellow color. Most laymen will see this as a "Fancy Color"

Another factor- the price difference is quite large.
A 5 carat Y-Z might go for about 30 grand today. A
5.00 Fancy Yellow will likely go for $60grand
Still, there''s a lot of people that feel like you and want a darker yellow diamond.

As far as photos- I don''t know which photos you''ve seen or who photos.
I do my best to use my camera to illustrate the way a light yellow diamond looks. I''m not saying no one ever returned a diamond because they wanted a darker stone. But it''s been a rare occurance that someone felt our photos did not give a good idea of the diamond.

Pat- I''ve never heard of Cap Beasley- which doen''t mean anything- the guy could be the most knowledgable person.

Regardless, there''s no report that comes close to a GIA report- I''d insist on diamonds with GIA reports.

The good news is- if you see the diamond, that will immediately give you the idea. It''s not that hard to see if the yellow is to your liking.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2005 8:18:23 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
I've never heard of Cap Beasley- which doen't mean anything- the guy could be the most knowledgable person.
Beesley is the head of AGL, one of the top US colored gemstone labs. For someone buying sapphire, ruby, or emerald, a stone blessed by Cap is likely a very fine gem. I've heard somewhere that he's done diamond reports but I don't think that's what he's best known for - I wonder if the colored diamond equivalent might be an evaluation by Stephen Hofer? For colored diamonds, GIA I think is the only way to go, and the only US lab I'd trust to adequately test for enhancements.

I agree with Jennifer - I've seen a couple of fancy light stones that were stunning, but for my taste a nice distinctly yellow color starts at GIA fancy yellow or better. They're still a bargain relative to D-E-F though I think.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2005 10
6.gif
3:45 PM
Author: elmo

I agree with Jennifer - I''ve seen a couple of fancy light stones that were stunning, but for my taste a nice distinctly yellow color starts at GIA fancy yellow or better. They''re still a bargain relative to D-E-F though I think.

I''m with both of you guys on this one. I looked at some light yellow stones and did not care for them. It''s really personal preference. Make sure you see some in person before you decide.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, David. I appreciate your thorough response and I see your points. I was just worried that the tone of my question when written, not spoken, might come off rudely!
1.gif

Please know I was not referring to DBL's photos/site specifially--I have seen pics of such stones (w-z, fancy light yellows) in many, many places but it was not until I saw several in person, in different settings/ environments, did I understand both what their true looks/color hue was and my own preference.
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
It''s totally cool Jen! That''s what I like about the open exchange of ideas.

AS far as light yellow vs more intense yellow.
I love Fancy Yellow and Fancy Vivid Yellow too!!
Fancy Yellow is a bridge between the light yellows and more intense yellows. Therefore, a light "Fancy Yellow" ( that is to say , a diamond GIA grades Fancy Yellow, but one that just makes it) can look quite like a strong "Fancy Light Yellow".

A strong "Fancy Yellow" ( one that almost made Fancy Intense Yellow) looks just like a Fancy Intense Yellow ( a lighter Fancy Intense Yellow) The darkest Fancy Intense Yellows Look like Fancy Vivid Yellow. There''s a wide range in each color.

Of course if I had I nickel for every time a cutter told me " This is a weak Fancy Yellow, I was expecting Fancy Light Yellow" I''d have a dime.
On the other hand, how many times has a Fancy Light Yellow been described- " It was supposed to come back Fancy Yellow, GIA was tough that week" The diamond is Fancy Light Yellow. If that''s what GIA calls the diamond, that''s what it is at that point.

Light Yellow diamonds are beautiful in my opinion. Faint yellows are also lovely, but don''t really look like a fancy color. Doesn''t make them less beautiful to me.

Well cut stones look awesome to me- no matter the color. Radiant Cut in particular allows for so many awesome variations on a light fancy diamond.
Pink, in a Faint, or light shade is sublime. I kill for well cut faint or light pink radiant diamonds. Ok not kill, how about beg.

In th case of Beesley, or Hofer- it''s not to take anything away from knowledgable and well respected individuals- but they are just that- one person''s opinion.
The reason GIA is so important is that it''s NOT an individual''s point of view- it''s a group of individuals - people who have no commercial connection whatsoever to the item- not that the individuals mentioned here do have an interest.
But GIA will never comment on the desirability, or value of a diamond. Nor should they.
Submit a diamond to GIA- then ask them if you should buy the diamond- they don''t answer that question.

I''m also sure that if no matter what these individuals think of GIA''s grading system, they will also agree that a GIA report is absolutely essential.
Of course having someone like Mr Hofer''s opinion of a diamond, and it''s GIA report, would be very valuable to someone interested in purchsing the diamond.

It''s also a good thing to point out that there are a multitude of sellers with nowhere near the knowlegde of Mr Hofer, or Beasley- sellers that may posess a GG- or some GIA degree- or not- and such sellers then imply a diamond they examine is now "GIA Certified"

NO WAY JOSE
There is simply no substitute for a GIA report.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love yellow diamonds...I don't know about the super light yellows but I like the ones that are a bit darker though not as dark as DBL's avatar..and I prefer radiant yellows mostly. I would love to have a 3 stone trap and yellow radiant at some point in the far future, maybe when I'm an old wrinkled lady and it'll be appropriate to wear 10c on one hand..hehee.

Oh and also if you want to see some great pix of settings and some beautiful stones:
http://icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_yellow_diamond_rings.asp

I love drooling over their items, though I think I'd rather build the ring from scratch than buy a pre-set one...but it's fun for eye-candy!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
We agree Mara- Icestore''s site has great looking rings.

My avitar is a 3.50 Fancy Vivid Yellow VS2

As far as a Yellow/trap ring- why wait? You don''t need 10carats. I''d suggest getting a larger light one- maybe a 20carat y-z?
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
David, can you explain the basic pricing structure and differences for say a Y-Z stone and something like a Vivid/Intense/Light Yellow?

aka would a Y colored be cheaper than an Intense or Vivid? Is Intense more exp than Vivid?

In looking at the prices on the IceStore''s site..it will be a long time before I ever own ANY yellow, even a chip!
39.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2005 4:47
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Mara
David, can you explain the basic pricing structure and differences for say a Y-Z stone and something like a Vivid/Intense/Light Yellow?

aka would a Y colored be cheaper than an Intense or Vivid? Is Intense more exp than Vivid?

In looking at the prices on the IceStore''s site..it will be a long time before I ever own ANY yellow, even a chip!
39.gif
Market Prices:
From highest to lowest
Vivid ( highest)
Intense
Fancy
Fancy Light
Y-ZRange
U-V, W-X range ( lowest)

Let''s use a 2 carat well cut VS1 Radiant for this example.
A Vivid Yellow can be double the price of a D
An Intense Yellow would range from D-F
A Fancy Yellow - similar to a G
Fancy Light Yellow would price betwen J and K
Y-Z range prices like L-M
W-X, U-V are among the least expensive well cut VS stones available.
That''s one reason I''ve always been amazed at the light yellows- they have more sparkle than the deeper yellows yet the market puts a very low price on them- even though that''s changed a lot in the last 18 months, light and faint yellows are still a fraction of colorless or deeper fancy colors.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone seen any of the fancy yellows that facets offers In person? I was just on their website and discovered this one. Haven''t done enough research to know whether it is a good deal but it looks pretty (a little heavier than I like with the design, but i love that yellow stone). Facets prices seem to be very competitve with their eternity sets etc, but not sure how this one stacks up price wise.

don''t know how to post a link, sorry:

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=1090

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info David...I have always been intrigued by yellows--tried on a setting when we were looking for e-rings that had yellow trillons but at the time I thought that it looked like ''pee'' I am ashamed to say, I think my tastes have matured by now...have thought it would be nice to get a RHR with a yellow radiant...in looking at your site I find myself drawn more to the Y-Z diamonds...great since it seems they are cheaper than the intense yellows! I like that 1.94c yellow radiant U-V you have, do you get them often in that size? The longer ratio as well? That would look fabulous with trillions.

Mmmmmm so now it''s a tossup between yellow radiant, asscher, or 3 stone round for RH...not like it''s happening anytime soon.
9.gif
It''s fun to dream!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results