shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of social media?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Lately, I've been debating whether to delete my social media accounts. It's fun to see what my friends and family are up to, especially since I haven't left the house or seen friends and family in almost a year and a half due to isolation (high risk if I get COVID).

On the other hand, I find myself super jealous of others especially because it seems everyone else (I realize only a few people post and people only post fun things) are doing things that I really want to, but can't do. I'm also very turned off by the bragging nature of social media. In general, I have a strong distaste for influencers due to so much focus on material consumption.

What do you think of social media?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand how you are feeling. I let things roll off my back though so it doesn’t bother me. What upsets me is seeing some people take risks that might hurt others. But I know we cannot control amy one but ourselves so I make peace with it. I do what I feel is necessary and to that end have decided we (DH and I) are back to wearing masks now. For the foreseeable future. And I am still enjoying social media.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I do enjoy seeing friends and family on there, I’m pretty much done with social media. My husband calls Facebook ‘Bragbook.’ I truly think social media has a detrimental influence on many due to FOMO (fear of missing out) phenomena. I have acknowledged to myself that I do get a tad envious of others’ exploits so I tend to stay off so that I can avoid my own negative thoughts. I also hate the humdrum posts about what someone ate for dinner!!
Oh and I want to mention the uneasiness I feel from the creepy ads I get for the. Exact. Same. Product. I was thinking about!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago, no regrets. The main reason I got rid of it was it became an endless stream of soap boxing, over sharing and it was a time suck. No I am not interested in becoming vegan to save the earth, no I don’t need a daily emotional check-in and I do not need to see every picture you have ever taken of your child who is now old enough for their own account. Just no.

Not going to lie, I did miss it at first because you do feel a huge disconnect, however that went away in about a week. Now the only issue (which isn’t a big deal) is people forget you aren’t on social media and will assume you saw something or are otherwise “in the know”. So when someone says “did you see when I posted about it on FB?” I simply remind them I don’t have an account.

I also got rid of my IG, that was harder because there were a lot of great pictures on there and I messaged with other PS’ers. However my SIL (who found my account) was one of my followers and I felt uncomfortable posting about jewelry with her there. Didn’t really feel like I could decline her request to follow being family. Since I had only gotten the account to post about my jewelry (essentially an extension of PS) and was feeling restricted, I didn’t see the point in keeping it.

Overall, no regrets, I don’t miss FB at all and wish I had deleted it sooner.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never did Facebook, Instagram or any other.
At first I thought I was missing out, but now I'm glad that I never did it.
I truly don't care what my friends or family are doing.
DH likes Facebook, but he has "ignored" a few friends who were politically motivated or constantly bragging.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must agree to their terms and conditions.
You agree to let them spy on you, save everything they learn about you, then sell it to the highest bidder.

Creepy and dangerous!
No thanks.

When the most profitable companies on the planet appear to give billions of people something for free, YOU are actually the product being sold.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use FB for info. I belong to a few medical groups. I rarely post on FB anymore. But I make it work for me and if that should stop I would have no qualms deleting it. But for now it serves an important purpose for me. As for IG I love gazing at bling so that’s why I’m part of IG.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I have a FB account, but I don’t post or check it regularly. I’ve thought about deleting it, but I keep it in case friends/family want to get in touch that way (sometimes easier than call/text for international people). It’s also a resource I can look at if I have a question about local stuff — I’ve found the local police, local government, school district, many local businesses, etc. have a FB presence that they update with info more often than any other website. Similar to @missy I am not wedded to it; I make it work for me.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mixed feelings. It has helped since I blocked a couple of drama makers and unfollowed everyone who talked politics, was selling a cause, or just constantly left me irritated. Now, I have people who coordinate to save animals, people who own the same sort of airplane we are restoring, pilots we socialize with, family, and some people from school. Anyone who irritates me gets snoozed for a month. If it becomes a regular thing, I unfollow. Keeps it relatively mellow and interesting for me.

What really makes it worth keeping for me:

Grandma's sister commented on a picture I posted. Because of that, I got to thinking and it ended up with the decision to take Grandma home to visit.her family.

Family I have never met in person or met once years ago are on FB. I wouldn't be likely to talk on the phone, email with, or go visit (1600 miles away) so not having FB would mean we all just forgot about each other.

Airplane owners from around the country (and some from outside the country) are able to share information and keep these airplanes safe and maintained. We are able to give/sell parts to each other as we all have some different spares. We can send pictures of what this or that looks like when someone is missing something.

Animals live who otherwise wouldn't. People from all over make connections in various shelters, rescues, transport groups, fosters, donors, and more. An example is a dog who was going to be euthanized. I saw her picture, messaged a foster I met through FB, reached out to a local (to me) rescue, messaged a transport group, arranged with the shelter, and handled everything else needed. She is now living a pampered life here in Washington!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a FB account, but I don’t post or check it regularly. I’ve thought about deleting it, but I keep it in case friends/family want to get in touch that way (sometimes easier than call/text for international people). It’s also a resource I can look at if I have a question about local stuff — I’ve found the local police, local government, school district, many local businesses, etc. have a FB presence that they update with info more often than any other website. Similar to @missy I am not wedded to it; I make it work for me.

Local stuff can be great! I completely forgot to list that in my comment.

We have a local FB group that is mostly women who get together for coffee sometimes and just a way to make some local friends. There is also a hiking group that shares information and even does some group hikes. (Yes, we live in a place where others actually come visit just to hike!) The traffic group is for the highway that we have to take 20+ minutes out of town to get to our house. Knowing when horses have gotten loose in the road or an accident is blocking the entire road near the first bridge or whatever can be helpful. Another group is our small community out here working together to set up a free library, setting up meal trains for people recovering from surgery, updated hours of businesses, lost/found pets, and whatever else is specific to us out here.
I was able to reunite a dog with his family just a couple of weeks ago thanks to the local group!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO the worst thing about social media is it is brilliantly designed to make every one of the earth's 8 billion people feel like their views are right.
Whatever your beliefs are it knows them (because you gave it permission to spy on (I suspect) every keystroke you make on your computer) and uses complex algorithms to present a world back to you several times a day in a way that appeals to you.
Truth and an informed citizenry are the victims.
To quote Thomas Jefferson, "An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."
It's all so alarming to me, and even more alarming that few people recognize it.

We have already witnessed a certain politician use social media to chip away at democracy itself. :-o
Why else would social media ban a politician in what's supposed to be the world's shining light of democracy?
I'm sure banning that guy has cost them zillions of eyeballs, which translates to zillions of bucks.

IMO the second most creepy thing about social media is its innocent, harmless and benevolent-appearing keeping in touch with family and friends feature is used to spy on exponentially more people for exponentially higher profits.

Yo! We're all being duped people.

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO the worst thing about social media is it is brilliantly designed to make every one of the earth's 8 billion people feel like their views are right.
Whatever your beliefs are it knows them (because you gave it permission to spy on (I suspect) every keystroke you make on your computer) and uses complex algorithms to present a world back to you several times a day in a way that appeals to you.
Truth and an informed citizenry are the victims.
To quote Thomas Jefferson, "An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."

We have already witnessed a certain politician use social media to chip away at democracy itself. :-o
Why else would social media ban a politician? ... which I'm sure has cost them zillions of eyeballs, which translates to zillions of bucks.

IMO the second most creepy thing about social media is its innocent, harmless and benevolent-appearing family and friends aspect is there only to use you to spy on exponentially more people for exponentially higher profits.

Yo! We're all being duped people.

Yep, that's basically what I think of social media.

I do have a Facebook account because I have to for specific sport and Instagram to look at (mostly antique bling).

I don't post anything, however.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are lots of films exposing the dark side of social media.
I'm looking forward to seeing this one, which came out last year.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was a great documentary @kenny ! Very scary indeed!!
I am also having a giggle…my first thought to your posts were, “tell us how you really feel!” :lol: said with much warmth. :) I agree with what you wrote though…but I guess I value communicating with far-away family worth it. *shrug* I’ve nothing to hide…

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a must see Kenny. Please don’t miss it. It’s eye opening and disturbing but makes it easy to see how we got to be so divided as a country.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it ironic that the same adults who cautioned their children about using MySpace now have social media and post unrestrainedly about their “best life,” lol. I’m not at all surprised by the kids who grew up during this era, it’s all they have ever known. I suspect that some do suffer feelings of fomo, low self-esteem, jealousy, etc. as a result, but maybe they have become desensitized to it. I don’t post on soc media and admit to entertaining myself with people’s fantasy lives. I’m especially adept at identifying filtered pictures (all the ones people post) and have to wonder what satisfaction they get from fake pictures and the fake comments that follow. I think that I’m missing that gene—and I’m glad. With the exception of the younger kids who grew up in this culture, I think those older people who post must crave attention, validation or some sort of reassurance that they did not get in their earlier lives or from their everyday relationships. I especially love how even intimate thoughts to your spouse have to be posted for the world to see how in love you all are. Like—can’t you just tell the person? And finally—most posters profess that they are not about possessions but they love to show-off every “experience” as tho they are the first to ever do it, meanwhile they are clad in all their possessions. Does anyone remember the family newsletter? Not that my family did one, but I recall hearing about those. I think those were a precursor to soc media—tho at the time, heavily looked down upon bc of all the subtle bragging. When did it become socially acceptable to show-off? So yeah. That’s what I think about soc media.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have Facebook or Instagram accounts, and don't feel I am missing out in any important way.
I also don't tweet.

I'm not a member of any of these social medias. :praise:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Facebook to connect with distant relatives, but I rarely post. I also have a private Instagram account that I started just to see jewelry. That's about it. If I opted out, I really don't think it would affect me much.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I joined FB because of an interest I had, and it was a way of connecting with 2 friends (before FaceTime or Message). I kept it because when we got Dottie, I joined Spinone groups and basically my ‘friends’ on their are mainly dog people. I don’t post any photos of myself or family, the only photos on there are of Dottie.

I have some PS friends on IG, but again don’t accept friends requests from people I don’t know.

My Twitter account is only used for complaining to companies who otherwise wouldn’t bother to respond until you go ‘public’ :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have FB, but no IG or Twitter. FB is used mainly to share pictures to family, since we are spread wide and far across the world.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't think about it at all. PS is the only social media I have and at times feel reticent to post here!

cheers--Sharon

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have any social media accounts and don’t want them.
I have o interest in people sending me”friend” requests because we went to school together 30 years ago….. if we were friends we would still be in touch!
I have no interest in others lives.
I have looked at it once at a friends house and was horrified how you could “stalk” people & find out so much about them even if they weren’t your friend.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I deliberately keep social media to a minimum. On facebook I entertain some family and a few friends + couple of hobby groups but not anything else.

If you get on my nerves Im just gonna go ahead and delete you...lol I don't do instagram, probably never will. And while I know OF the drama (especially whats on youtube) I don't involve myself in it.

There are some areas I allow myself to see and it confirms that people are very effed up...lol

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do Facebook mainly for a few interest groups ie Plant People and Dog groups. I mainly post up about my plants or dogs. I do have a cousin who is obsessed with posting up photos of her meals in restaurants. She is taking this current lockdown hard.
I do feel that it can and has been an issue for tweens and teens. A lot of bullying and harassment is possible and occurs. DD never had any interest in Social Media, she’s not a make up or fashion follower. Her interests are science and soccer.
Im not a jealous or envious type, I am very thankful and gracious about what I have. I don’t approve of people flaunting their wealth but normally those with money and class are modest and non bragging types.
A while back we had a school reunion. And the “nasty girl group”,still active, decided to have a “who has the most diamonds competition“. I originally declined to participate and was actually bullied by one of them. So I went all out.
If anyone is winning a “most diamonds” competition, it’s me. Interestingly once outed as a “Gem guru” I spent most the night giving “appraisals” on everyone jewellery and intended purchases. Never was so popular ha ha. 0E8D2385-6BCC-43F5-A9AE-C0FFC314F9A9.jpeg
I do enjoy seeing others beautiful items and hearing about fancy holidays etc, mainly I’m happy they are happy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just finished this.
Wow!

Here's another important film exposing the dark side of social media ...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on recommending The Social Dilemma

I've also always worried about the effect it has on self-esteem - especially for kids who compare their lives to that of their "peers". Kind of like the effect PS can have on appreciating one's jewelry :lol:

While I have a few social media accounts, I pretty much only use FB - in a limited capacity (not for news or games, lol). I really like it for keeping in touch and connecting with old friends. I generally am not good at these things so I can say it has provided a benefit.

I started on FB some of my Springsteen fans moved off the forums to it - a way for some of us who had become personal friends to stay in touch between tours. It's still my primary use. While I might skim it 2-3 times/day, I only post occasionally - It's usually something stupid - just to let folks know I am still around and okay.

In my early PS days, someone got me into some of the FB gem groups, etc. I don't do much there anymore. Former co-workers from prior jobs have set up private facebook groups and it's great keeping in touch and every once in awhile we have a reunion. Other than that, I do have a handful of friends/family that found me on FB. In a few cases, it's people who I've lost touch with (high school friends) and it's great that we've connected again.

Facebook came in real handy when my mom was in the hospital. Although she never posted on it, she had an account. It was taking me hours each day to return calls. Making sure it was private, I started posting updates on Facebook. It was the perfect medium.

I have an instagram account and only check it on occasion. I've never posted on it...and for a long time the only person I followed was Sara Blakely (Spanx) - I heard her give a speech once and just love her humor and outlook. I now follow a few gem vendors (PS fault).

Twitter - I only check it for updates on the train. It's the most up-to-date source for delays, etc. Occasionally, a friend will ask to follow me and i'm like "Seriously, what could I say that is of any interest for someone to follow?".

My father's side of the family have a WhatsApp group that I've been asked to join a couple of times...I should but really don't want another social media account to check.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've known two people who lost their jobs over social media posts. I also found out that people stalk you on social media because I had people tell me that they looked through all my FB pics- even though I had them on the restricted list. So- no social media for me. I deactivated my FB account and don't miss it at all.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Also just finished watching and well... that was disturbing O.O I'm not strong enough to delete my social media apps but it did convince me to turn off most of my notifications.

I just finished this.
Wow!

Here's another important film exposing the dark side of social media ...

I guess I'll check this out as well.

I admit I'm pretty addicted to social media, altho I mostly look at gems, designer bags, and follow a few diy influences. I post occasional photos on FB but have very little actual interactions anymore.

I did go through a phase where I was in a pretty low spot in my life and seeing all these gorgeous people on IG with their perfect lives made me intensely jealous. Which when I realized shocked me because I'm typically not that interested in others in real life and don't care to compare. Made me think how destructive this must be for young kids, especially teen girls, if it even had a grip on this grown woman in her 40s who no longer gives sh*t about what others think. "Low self esteem" must take a whole new meaning these days...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results