shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
In a family gift exchange, we got a 14 year old cousin. She lives far away and we don''t really know her very well. Her mom has proven unhelpful. So, I found a cross necklace that has interchangeable "murano glass" pieces in sterling silver.
What do you think??

glasscross1ss.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a huge fan, especially for a 14 year old unless you know she''s religious. I''d stick with a gift card to a store she likes or something like that. That always puts a smile on teenager''s faces!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, neat. Her family is EXTREMELY religious and gift cards are not allowed!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:14:30 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks, neat. Her family is EXTREMELY religious and gift cards are not allowed!!

Well in that case it might be appropriate then! Who doesn''t allow gift cards? Geesh!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with nf although if she is very religious she might like it. Otherwise I''d just get her a different necklace, something like this

dragonfly456.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The "no gift card" thing floored me too! That''s the go-to gift and usually the most appreciated among teens!! But, there are only 3 teens in the family. Everyone else is either under 8 or over 25!

I like the dragonfly necklace and I looked at a couple along those lines, butterflies and stuff. But, I thought they may come off as too young. But, I''m just basing that off of what I would have worn at that age. I don''t know that I would have worn the interchangeable cross, even at that age I was a PSer in training!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 9:21:48 PM
The ''no gift card'' thing floored me too! That''s the go-to gift and usually the most appreciated among teens!! But, there are only 3 teens in the family. Everyone else is either under 8 or over 25!

I like the dragonfly necklace and I looked at a couple along those lines, butterflies and stuff. But, I thought they may come off as too young. But, I''m just basing that off of what I would have worn at that age. I don''t know that I would have worn the interchangeable cross, even at that age I was a PSer in training!

Normally I would totally agree, but that one bee posted is pretty understated and pretty. Not too young at all IMO. Do we know anything about this girl besides that her family is nuts?
3.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 10:37:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 12/9/2008 9:21:48 PM

Do we know anything about this girl besides that her family is nuts?
3.gif

LOL! She''s a techie. But, $20 doesn''t get very far with electronics. She has everything anyone on the planet could ever desire. Her and her sisters are so spoiled that STILL Santa comes while they''re out of the house and it''s a surprise that there are presents. I actually think they still believe in Santa because they''re always like "well, dad was at work and mom was with us"
20.gif

Anyhoo.. that''s pretty much all I know. I would venture to guess that she''s a bit of a dork but other than that, I got nothin''.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Even though those necklaces are pretty, I don''t think it is something a 14 year old would wear. Here are a few necklaces from forever 21 that have crosses, but are a bit trendier. Since everything is so cheap, you could get a few pieces that all go together or something. If not, it''s more of an idea what teenagers are wearing, jewelry wise.

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1055364488&Page=2

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1056813029&Page=2

Not a cross, but a funky bracelet like this is really popular right now
http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1037844998&Page=3

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1057098248&Page=5

http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1056898556&Page=6

ms_claudia

Rough_Rock
teens are a very fickle bunch. Even if her family is religious, she might be the rebellious one at that age so you never know. I believe 14 was the age that I received my first diamonds, it was a beautiful cross pendant and I still have it. If $20 is the limit and you can''t get gift cards, and you don''t know the girl too well you do face quite a challenge.
How about perfume?
The new Batman dvd?
My best suggestion is a Juicy Couture Charm bracelet. At the Juicy Couture outlet store I believe they are $25, probably about $35 at the retail stores. (this of course is just for the starter bracelet, the charms are extra). I''d buy her a starter bracelet and one charm. Most girls her age love Juicy. Even at my age (21) I still wear my juicy charm bracelet on casual days.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl~ Thanks for all the suggestions. I would wear most of those! The girl in question however would not. She tries not to draw attention to herself. But, thanks so much for your sleuthing!

ms claudia~ I thought about a perfume, but I guess her mom is highly allergic to most. Her dad pirates all the new movies, so that''s out. (also all the music) Some of the Juicy stuff (online) is cute but well out of price range. I don''t think we have one anywhere near us, but I''ll look into it. This is the last gift I have to get to finish Christmas shopping and I''m getting so frustrated. (I''m not a fan of gift exchanges anyway especially with people you don''t know...) But, I don''t want to be the giver of crap!

I really can''t go too trendy with her, but I wonder if I can find something in the middle of the necklaces posted and the Forever 21 stuff....

Thanks for all your help!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The necklace is far from my taste, but I could see a teen liking it. The being able to switch it out is a plus, you''re not inflicting your taste on her
2.gif
Teenagers are hard. I don''t envy you at all.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
How about a book? I loved the Gossip Girl series in high school, but that is probably a bit risque if her family is very religious. I am sure someone at Barnes and Noble could help you pick out an age appropriate series and you could get her the first couple books.

You could get her some sort of manicure kit or maybe a cheap makeup brush set from Ulta or Sephora. Usually around 14 girls are just starting to get into the whole makeup thing.

Maybe a subscription to a magazine? My uncle used to do that for us when we were younger and I so appreciated it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl~ Thanks for your continued help. The girl doesn''t read (that was actually my first choice). I''m a bit leary on the makeup since her family is religious. I''m already thought of as the "bad girl" because I wear lots of bling and have a tattoo (and I usually arrive with my cleavage!). So, I don''t need to introduce her to lipstick and eyeliner...yet.

A subscription to a magazine is a good idea. Nothing like Seventeen, but maybe something more aimed at her interests (of which I''ve found none). That''s definitely my plan B. I can always go on-line and fill out an order request just a couple days before the gift exchange.

Another idea I had for her was an idea given to me when I was looking for an idea for my niece. Movie tickets. However, that''s not allowed.
20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 8:09:27 PM
OUpeargirl~ Thanks for your continued help. The girl doesn''t read (that was actually my first choice). I''m a bit leary on the makeup since her family is religious. I''m already thought of as the ''bad girl'' because I wear lots of bling and have a tattoo (and I usually arrive with my cleavage!). So, I don''t need to introduce her to lipstick and eyeliner...yet.

A subscription to a magazine is a good idea. Nothing like Seventeen, but maybe something more aimed at her interests (of which I''ve found none). That''s definitely my plan B. I can always go on-line and fill out an order request just a couple days before the gift exchange.

Another idea I had for her was an idea given to me when I was looking for an idea for my niece. Movie tickets. However, that''s not allowed.
20.gif

Movie tickets aren''t allowed either? Geez does this girl get to have any fun at all?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak~ absolutely not! Fun is strictly prohibited!! I guess she''s a happy kid, though. They spend a lot of time in their youth groups with like minded people and to them it''s perfectly normal. Boy, is she going to be surprised someday!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I don''t love the necklace, to be perfectly honest...the Murano glass is totally "hit or miss"...people either love it or hate it, and the line between the two is very fine...

Does she have a gaming system? Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii? You could probably get a game for one of those fairly cheap.

Or, the Twlight series of books...

Or, a lovely scarf from Juicy Couture from the outlet....they have one near me in Chicago, the phone number is: 630/851-0137...they have all sorts of cute Juicy stuff there, if you get a good SA, she could probably suggest something in your price range and ship it to you!

Ali

Shiny_Rock
How about a little gift set from Burt's Bees (natural, not a lot of scent or colorings to = 'make up'). I find those types of gifts are useful across a wide range of people because of the fact that they are useful. Who can't use some chapstick or lotion?
emthup.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Head-to-Toe-Starter-Kit/dp/B0001Y6DX8

Just a thought.

Happy holidays everyone!
emgift.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably ask her parents for permission to give a GC to a bookstore, like Borders or something. That''s what I''d get for a teenage techie type.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Italia~ Thanks for the phone number! I really appreciate it! I''m going to peruse the online store for some ideas.

Ali~ Burt''s bees is a good idea, too. I always forget about that stuff, but my sister is a fanatic.

Julie~ I LOVE the gc suggestion, but at this exchange gift cards aren''t allowed (because whoever is the "boss" apparently doesn''t care if you get anything you like!!)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s cute and perfect for a 14 year old. Colorful and fun.

I hate receiving gift cards to a particular store and so do my kids. There is no fun, nothing special to open up. And when you get a surprise it is a little something from the person who picked it out. If it is a horrible gift it will be a good story about the goofy thing they got from the nutty aunt. Honestly, I have never seen a kid''s face shine when they got a gift card and not everyone wants an iTunes card, or a book from Borders or a Starbucks coffee.

Other suggestions are fun socks, cute stationary with a fuzzy pen, art supplies, cosmetics, cute picture frames, jewelry box. I do think the glass cross is cute, though.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:17:41 PM
Author: swingirl

I hate receiving gift cards to a particular store and so do my kids. There is no fun, nothing special to open up. And when you get a surprise it is a little something from the person who picked it out. If it is a horrible gift it will be a good story about the goofy thing they got from the nutty aunt. Honestly, I have never seen a kid''s face shine when they got a gift card and not everyone wants an iTunes card, or a book from Borders or a Starbucks coffee.

Other suggestions are fun socks, cute stationary with a fuzzy pen, art supplies, cosmetics, cute picture frames, jewelry box. I do think the glass cross is cute, though.

are you running our gift exchange?!! LOL!! That''s nearly verbatim of the "rules"!!

Thanks for the other suggestions.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
At 14, I had just left private school for the "real world" and was pretty religious. I probably wouldn''t have worn that cross though. I did have a James Avery cross that I really liked and a couple of silver rings... what about something from their website?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 12:33:58 AM

LOL! She''s a techie. But, $20 doesn''t get very far with electronics. She has everything anyone on the planet could ever desire. Her and her sisters are so spoiled that STILL Santa comes while they''re out of the house and it''s a surprise that there are presents. I actually think they still believe in Santa because they''re always like ''well, dad was at work and mom was with us''
20.gif

Anyhoo.. that''s pretty much all I know. I would venture to guess that she''s a bit of a dork but other than that, I got nothin''.
I''m really chuckling at your last sentence.......Personally I like the dragonfly bee posted a lot. I would have loved that at 14. What about some cool teenager type socks? Is that really lame?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
oobiecoo~ The limit is $20, and I don''t see prices on JA website. So, I''m pretty sure that''s over the limit
2.gif
. Thanks for you opinion on the cross.

joflier~ I actually didn''t mean for that to come off funny, now I feel like I was making fun of her
8.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 12:58:42 PM
oobiecoo~ The limit is $20, and I don''t see prices on JA website. So, I''m pretty sure that''s over the limit
2.gif
. Thanks for you opinion on the cross.

joflier~ I actually didn''t mean for that to come off funny, now I feel like I was making fun of her
8.gif
Sorry, I didn''t mean to make you feel bad. I didn''t take it as you being mean at all, just as a description. I think I know what you meant. Like she''s just not into the typical teenage things. And I''m pretty sure there are a lot of us that were a little dorky at 14. I know I was.
4.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 3:17:41 PM
Author: swingirl
I agree! It is not something that I would wear, but I could see a 14 year old girl wearing it. I think that it is cute!

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I think that is totally cute! Where''d you find it?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
There are prices on the items at JamesAvery.com... you just have to go into each category. The crosses start a little over $20... the least expensive I found was $22.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here's a link to jewelry at the Berean Bookstores (most of these are in the price range) http://www.berean.com/categorylist.asp?mymode=3&cid=302713&cid1=399103&c1=Gifts&c2=Fine+Jewelry&c=399138:Necklaces+-+FNJ&stc=302713&smc=399103&sbc=399138

I kinda like the first one...

This is kindof a cool concept:

http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product_image.asp?ProdID=57602

I ditto the idea about James Avery - but it's kinda pricey. What about a silver necklace with a butterfly charm? It's a little more hip but and has christian symbolism but is less overt. Here's a bracelet at $26 from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Filigree-Butterfly-Sterling-Bracelet/dp/B000J4DSCO/ref=sr_1_138?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1229128520&sr=1-138

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results