shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about "I" Color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CurlyM-C

Rough_Rock
I saw an idal cut "I" next to an "E" the other day and seriously could not see a difference in color.

Am I colorblind or is this really possible? Will I regret it if I buy an I??

Is there such a thing as "I" stones that look white?

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Hi Curly!

As you move through the forums in PS you will see that the common answer to your question would be "no you are not color blind."
Different individuals have different abilities to detect minute shades of color. Many factors such as age, eyesight, and diamond angle can all affect the level of shading visible to an individual.

Diamonds properly graded as "I" should face up very nicely as I is within the near colorless range in grading scale. My fiance'' has an "H" mounted in platinum with virtually no visible coloration to the stone. Many of the vendors represented in pricescope are perfectly comfortable selling "I" colored stones as they are, when properly graded, a phenomenal value.

Many "maul" stores sell "K" stones, which I must admit, in perfect lighting conditions still are rather white to me.

One additional point to remember is that the lab issuing the grade will make a difference in the reliability of the color grade. Also the "I" colored stone you are comparing to the "E" may have been conservatively graded. Color grading differences of +/- one grade can occur when stones are subjected to independent appraisers for inspection.

If you have trouble seeing color in the "I" you may have found the "Holy Grail" of value for you.

Good Luck!

Chan

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Very well cut stones (rounds) of G,H,I colors can look very white face up.

Different folks have different color sensitivity.

Even if you cant'' see the difference, will you worry that others can?...if not, go for it!

Stick with cut quality as your first priority, and stay with the stone which "speaks to you"!

Good Luck!

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
An I colored stone is a great deal price wise, is still in the near colorless range and if you cannot see a difference in color then by all means buy one.

Asschman

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2005 1:32:29 PM
Author:CurlyM-C
I saw an idal cut ''I'' next to an ''E'' the other day and seriously could not see a difference in color.

Am I colorblind or is this really possible? Will I regret it if I buy an I??

Is there such a thing as ''I'' stones that look white?
Curly, I second what others have posted about the varying sensitivity to color. Some people don''t notice as much. I would say, however, that the shape of the stone will have an impact--the more sparkly the stone, such as a round brilliant, the less likely you are to notice the color, versus a step cut such as an emerald or asscher. At least that is what I have seen in my searches.

Asschman

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an I color stone. When I upgraded I got a D. I could definitely see a difference in the 2, but that''s side by side. As others have said, an I stone is still in the near colorless range, so most people will not see any color in it, and a great cut makes a huge difference...most people just see all the sparkle!!! You could go for an I stone with some blue fluorescence...that seems to make stones lower on the color spectrum look more white.

Good luck!

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Curly
If you are comparing 2 well cut RBs under bright halogen store lights, it is extremely difficult to tell the difference between a D & I. A good cut will have a lot of sparkle which will mask the colour, PARTICULARLY under halogen store lights.

Try diffuse light with a slightly oblique viewing angle (we do not always look at our rings from directly above them) and you would probably see a slight warmth to the "I" when the 2 diamonds are side by side. I thought I was very "colour sensitive", but eventually went for a G, as I found it very, very difficult to tell the difference face up and could not pick a G from a D in well cut RBs when they were presented separately.
1.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t let people see the diamond through the side and you should be fine.

blingy

Rough_Rock
I did the same thing. I think the real experts can spot it, but that is not the majority of your friends, or hers! The only way I could tell the difference was to turn them uside down so you are looking at the true diamond with minimal sparkly. Against a white paper background, and upside down, there is a noticable small difference. From top-side, forogt about it. I have officially changed my search from E/F''s to G/H/I''s. good luck.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that h and i color diamonds along with some j''s in rounds are the top bang for the buck diamonds and white enough for just about everyone.

The lighting around the stone has a much greater effect on the diamonds color than even 4 or 5 maybe 10 color grades.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Will it sow dinghy to anyone else" is a perfectly legitimate question...

... however, almost no one will ever look at this ring even as closely as you have in the jewelry store. Let alone see it from the side, upside down or what not. As long as there is any colored object around, that would look allot stronger reflected by the stone than it''s own color might. Same for the tint of lighting (and more have some stronger than diamond colors, even if rarely noticed).

All in all, I can definitely see myself not being able to "grade" a diamond in someone''s jewelry - even if asked to guess
8.gif

Buster_DL

Rough_Rock
We bought an ideal cut J RB, and to be honest I see NO hint of color in it (it is set in platinum). I was apprehensive at first about going that low in color, but it truly was a great bargain and a great rock!

Buster

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second third fourth what everyone said about personal preferences.

Obviously there IS a difference between a D and an I or else there would not be different color grades.

However, your eye may not pick up the differences as much as another eye would.

Having seen a well cut E, H and I stone and a G stone (not necessarily all together, but sometimes yes), I don't really have that much color sensitivity...I do see a slight tinge in the I stones when I hold them against a white paper and look at them under a light (which happens to be not a white bulb). But in regular, real life applications, aka on my ears since they are earrings, they sparkly very very white.

My husband has an E H&A stone, compare it to my H almost H&A stone and the only difference you see is that my stone is much bigger! They sparkle similarly and the color difference is a moot point esp since both are set into rings.

So yes there are differences, but when you consider real life application aka in a ring or on the ear, rather than scrutiny against a white paper, be glad your eyes are not sensitive, it will allow you to get more bang for your buck because you don't have to buy D or E like others who have come on here and said 'YES I see a huge difference even between D and F!'

Have fun!
2.gif

ozam

Rough_Rock
I think the answer depends more on what type of person you are!!! There is no question you can get more bang for your dollar if you go with I color, however you need to ask yourself "will I constantly wonder whether this diamond really is colorless?" I faced the same dilemna and decided to go with a G colored stone. It cost me almost $900 more, BUT I eliminated all future worries!! Only you can decide what is best for you! A good compromise is an H/SI1.....as most people here can tell you.....moving color grades is not as expensive as moving clarity grades.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results