shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think of these 2 teensy red spinel rounds?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
The seller seems very transparent and honest (and people seem to rave about his Etsy shop). When I asked him if there were any windowing issues on these puppies due to shallow cutting, THIS is what he wrote:

"Hi Matthew,
Thank you for asking.
Those stones are well cut, deep enough so they don't show windows.
They are sparkling.
Their deep red color mask some sparkles but they are very attractive."

Anyway, $50 total is the asking price, which seems very reasonable. I LOVE the deep red color, and my plan is to use these two 3 mm red spinels as accent stones--- one on each side--- for a nice faceted 5 mm black spinel to create a lovely (and yet extremely affordable) little three stone spinel ring in sterling silver as a birthday gift for my mom. I'm also tempted to buy two more and hang on to 'em to be used for some future project.

I DO realize they are a dark red similar to pyrope garnet, and that I could buy pyrope garnet significantly cheaper--- and I also realize that black spinel looks very similar to black onyx--- but I already have some nice specimens of garnet and black onyx in cab form.... and even if they are mistaken for garnet and black onyx, I will know they are spinel. Haha. plus the fellow has a return policy. Sooooo what do ya think? Worth a closer examination? I'm leaving heavily toward yes (while also bracing myself for a chorus line of "too dark, too dark" from the hardcore and knowledgeable colored gemstone faithful here ;-) ). IMG_20210817_015515_408.jpg IMG_20210817_015619_351.jpg IMG_20210817_015544_742.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this for your mum
I actually love they could be mistaken for onyx and garnet - but because they are not your mum will have such fun educating her freinds

The price is so affordable - you have nothing to loose snapping up those other two

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too dark is one thing, these are not even red but some sort of orange brown.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Too dark is one thing, these are not even red but some sort of orange brown.

Orange brown?? Either my eyes are completely shot or yours are, because these pics clearly show a dark blood red. ;-)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's monitors vary, but when I look at those stones I see a red brown. If I didn't know they were spinel, I would think they were garnet.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when I think of red spinel, I think of a different color.

What comes down to it is if you are looking for a pure red, or if you are looking for more of a red brown/red black which a lot of garnet tends to be in the red family.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I DO realize they are a dark red similar to pyrope garnet, and that I could buy pyrope garnet significantly cheaper--- and I also realize that black spinel looks very similar to black onyx--- but I already have some nice specimens of garnet and black onyx in cab form.... and even if they are mistaken for garnet and black onyx, I will know they are spinel. Haha. plus the fellow has a return policy. Sooooo what do ya think? Worth a closer examination?

Worth a closer examination?
Yes, because that’s the only way you’ll know if they meet, exceed, or fail your parameters.
AND ~ while they may not be in tune to my taste, they seem to be exactly what you are looking for?

In a perfect world comparison between garnet vs spinel in the very same color, saturation, and hue
I’d choose spinel for wear durability and I think it should have more scintillation? But not pay that much more for spinel because it…..looks like garnet.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Worth a closer examination? I'm leaving heavily toward yes (while also bracing myself for a chorus line of "too dark, too dark" from the hardcore and knowledgeable colored gemstone faithful here ;-) ).

Indeed, too dark, or rather the color really isn’t attractive imo. Personally I’ll pass

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The first thing that I see when I look at them is also brown. Small stones and inexpensive stones do not have to be ugly.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Everyone's monitors vary, but when I look at those stones I see a red brown. If I didn't know they were spinel, I would think they were garnet.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when I think of red spinel, I think of a different color.

What comes down to it is if you are looking for a pure red, or if you are looking for more of a red brown/red black which a lot of garnet tends to be in the red family

What comes down to it is if you are looking for a pure red, or if you are looking for more of a red brown/red black which a lot of garnet tends to be in the red family.
Yeah, after closer examination I can definitely see a red/brown combo (with significant black, too).

So in your experience, do gemstones that are designated red spinel generally have more of a red/pink combination?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Worth a closer examination?
Yes, because that’s the only way you’ll know if they meet, exceed, or fail your parameters.
AND ~ while they may not be in tune to my taste, they seem to be exactly what you are looking for?

In a perfect world comparison between garnet vs spinel in the very same color, saturation, and hue
I’d choose spinel for wear durability and I think it should have more scintillation? But not pay that much more for spinel because it…..looks like garnet.

in the final analysis, they DO look too much like garnet. And while $50 would be a pretty damn great price for a decent matching pair of 3mm red spinel, it is definitely waaayyyy too much to pay for 3mm red garnet (which is exactly what they would be mistaken for).

I decided to pass on 'em, gang. Thanks for the input! It's actually more fun to keep looking for a pair of decent (not perfect, mind ya, but decent ;-) ) 3 mm red spinel, anywhoo.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
The first thing that I see when I look at them is also brown. Small stones and inexpensive stones do not have to be ugly.

Ouchie! Haha. I actually don't think they are ugly. It's just that they look way too much like red garnet... and $50 is entirely too high for a pair of 3 mm red garnets. ;-)

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Red garnets can be gorgeous and the nice ones look nothing like the stones that you posted. A stone of any size and variety and price can be dark without having brown or grey.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@matt_k I have some "learner stones" that you can have for the purpose of practicing setting and/or for fun. I have a bunch of LT listings if you want to reach out. Not selling them bc they arent worth much, but happy to give them to someone who would use them.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
@matt_k I have some "learner stones" that you can have for the purpose of practicing setting and/or for fun. I have a bunch of LT listings if you want to reach out. Not selling them bc they arent worth much, but happy to give them to someone who would use them.

Wow, that would be awesome! What a generous offer. Thanks!

So these would all be examples of faceted colored gemstones that didn't make the grade for ya? Sort of a colored gemstone crash course "buyer beware" kinda thing? ;-)

In all seriousness, I REALLY appreciate the offer. And if you were to detail exactly what you found especially wanting in a few of these "learner stones" it would be even more fantastic. like, if the quality of the faceting itself was the main culprit... the clarity... or the color ( too dark, too light, not enough color intensity, too much color zoning, etc).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that would be awesome! What a generous offer. Thanks!

So these would all be examples of faceted colored gemstones that didn't make the grade for ya? Sort of a colored gemstone crash course "buyer beware" kinda thing? ;-)

In all seriousness, I REALLY appreciate the offer. And if you were to detail exactly what you found especially wanting in a few of these "learner stones" it would be even more fantastic. like, if the quality of the faceting itself was the main culprit... the clarity... or the color ( too dark, too light, not enough color intensity, too much color zoning, etc).

yup, happy to do that! I don't want to break any forum rules so if you reach out via louptroop I can give more info! Mostly they were darker than I wanted, not a size that was easy to set (without spending $$), or just impulsive purchases that I shouldn't have made haha.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
yup, happy to do that! I don't want to break any forum rules so if you reach out via louptroop I can give more info! Mostly they were darker than I wanted, not a size that was easy to set (without spending $$), or just impulsive purchases that I shouldn't have made haha.

Awesome! Ummm.... what is louptroop? :)

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much!

I have to get my big ass on the treadmill, and then run some errands. Whew. But I'll reach out early this evening/night. Thanks again!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to get my big ass on the treadmill, and then run some errands. Whew. But I'll reach out early this evening/night. Thanks again!

No worries, and no rush. I also have to get my big a** to do a workout today, so I know the feeling lol

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but they are brown and dark and to my eyes, really unattractive. There are plenty of gorgeous red spinels in the size you're looking for. However if you want a dark dark red or one with brown tones then these will be the ones for you.

There are plenty of Instagram and Etsy sellers selling melee (small stones). Have a look at HaydenfredGems on Insta, Cecile Raley on Etsy etc.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Matt, glad to see you’re still having fun with your coloured stone adventures! For me those would be too brown - no problem for me with clarity or size with these coloured stone experiments but colour is king.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Red garnets can be gorgeous and the nice ones look nothing like the stones that you posted. A stone of any size and variety and price can be dark in without having brown or grey.

Agreed. I have a teeny rhodolite garnet that's a beautiful raspberry red color.

Pure red stones seem hard to find in general. If OP is ok with pinkish tones, Cecile Raley has lots of cute spinels in smaller sizes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just shows how monitors and screens very
have fun with lovedogs stones Matt and good luck for finding the perfect stones for mum's ring
l look forward to seeing it posted one day soon

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the links! These are all very pretty, but far too pink. I already have a nice 3mm medium pink sapphire with a lovely vivid magenta/pink color. And I'm getting ready to have a look at a promising 4mm pink tourmaline (). So hopefully I'll be all set on pink soon. :)

Pink undertones would be fine, but I'm looking for a couple of 2.5mm or 3mm red spinel with the red being significantly more prominent. Again, I definitely appreciate the suggestion, tho!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might be better off just letting your jeweler get these small stones for you. I see this kind of thing all over the place in Tucson, and you could buy the whole bag for what you are paying for 2 stones. 4 mm and smaller gems are very inexpensive, don't ask me how they do it, but many of these come out of India. Here's a photo I took a few years back in Tucson, this guy had hundreds of these bags of small stones, in all different sizes.

Spinelsmall.jpeg

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
You might be better off just letting your jeweler get these small stones for you. I see this kind of thing all over the place in Tucson, and you could buy the whole bag for what you are paying for 2 stones. 4 mm and smaller gems are very inexpensive, don't ask me how they do it, but many of these come out of India. Here's a photo I took a few years back in Tucson, this guy had hundreds of these bags of small stones, in all different sizes.

Spinelsmall.jpeg

Wow, really??? I wouldn't need a whole bag. But even 2 of those 4mm suckers at a $50 price point total would be a mind-blowing bargain! Unfortunately, I don't have a jeweler. Haha. And I'm not so sure red spinel would be something most Jewelers in Louisville, Kentucky have bunches of. ;-)

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Re: treadmill: I have plenty of starving AND treadmill suffering I need to do, fo' sho! The first 15 or 16 months or so of the pandemic really put a hurtin' on me. I was eating my feelings like a mofo, don'tchaknow. Whew. :???::???:

I tried to send you a message on loupe troop, but I can't tell if it sent. It glitched the first time. And then I tried a few more times . Let me know if you didn't get it, and I'll try again tomorrow. And thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results