shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you dislike - topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

This will be a rambling series in response to “what do you dislike?” This is not to criticize anyone’s tastes or preferences. It will just show examples that might change your mind.

Topaz is commonly found all over the world. Almost always, the color is so pale, that it is better to call it an off white. It is commonly pastel blue, green or yellow. The intense blues in the gem market are natural topaz that has been irradiated and heated. Only in a rare two square mile area or so, in Ouro Preto Brazil, does natural topaz attain more intense colors. Pakistan also produces tiny amounts of pink and peach topaz.

The finest topaz from Ouro Preto can show some combination of pink, orange or red. These intense examples are called imperial topaz. The name came from some intense topaz that was found, and depleted, in Russia at the end of the 19th century. It was reserved only for the Russian Tsar and his family.

The finest imperial topaz is a fabulous gemstone, is exceedingly rare, and can surpass $2,000/ct, wholesale. While some malaia garnets can resemble imperial topaz, these garnets never attain the intense color of imperial topaz. When fine malaias (and I have several) are placed next to a top imperial topaz, the brown in the garnet (not obvious before), is instantly seen in comparison.

Topaz is quite hard and takes a wonderful polish. It appears much more brilliant than its relative low refractive index would suggest.

The gem below is 5.00 cts, in a step barrel cut. It is pictured on a pastel rose petal, shading from pink to white. This mimics the dichroism of imperial topaz, with the most intense color showing on the ends of the gem.

imptop1327.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Will you also do a "What you dislike - Trilliant cut... please?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, Mr. Zeolite, I''m not sure if LD will still want to marry you after your post on topaz, but that sure is a beautiful stone. I bet it''s much more impressive in person. For all the heart shape haters, here''s a suite of heart shaped colored diamonds courtesy Arthur Langerman''s colored diamond collection.

heart_shaped_coldiamonds.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
That''s a lovely specimen.
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D . I . V . O . R . C . E .

Need I say more?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Now, when it comes to topaz I don''t need convincing
9.gif
Seriously, IMO even treated blue ones can look nice, and imperial topaz is to me personally one of the most fascinating gems overall. Of course, I''d need to sell a kidney (and a few other major organs) in order to buy one that I''d like, but they sure are nice to look at. Hell I''d even settle for one of those delicious looking mineral specimens... Imperials are probably the only stones with which I have difficulty describing certain colors - probably because my brain stops functioning when I see a really nice one.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 9:12:11 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
So, Mr. Zeolite, I''m not sure if LD will still want to marry you after your post on topaz, but that sure is a beautiful stone. I bet it''s much more impressive in person. For all the heart shape haters, here''s a suite of heart shaped colored diamonds courtesy Arthur Langerman''s colored diamond collection.

Impressive pic TL but - meh! still think they look twee.

Having said that would love to own that collection - so I could sell it off and buy really nice stones
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think imperial topaz needs to be seen in person. Pictures never do it justice.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice topaz, Z!

many just do not have an opportunity to see fine topaz: what most of us see is commercial for the masses [b&m''s, ebay, tv, etc]. nothing wrong with that and as i always say, there is something for every budget.

if only i had the budget to afford fine stones only! i don''t think there would be any that i would dislike!

mz

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 11:16:23 AM
Author: movie zombie

if only i had the budget to afford fine stones only! i don''t think there would be any that i would dislike!

mz

Me too!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lembeck used to have a gorgeous imperial topaz, a deep, well saturated orange-red topaz. Costs a kidney, but what a gem!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
... that sure is a beautiful stone. I bet it''s much more impressive in person.
Yes, it is. This picture was an overcast day outdoor picture. Under incandescent lights, the color is more intense than shown here, with about the same red, but more intense orange also.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 9:31:43 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Need I say more?
Thank you, LD

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 3:36:05 PM
Author: zeolite

Date: 1/2/2010 9:31:43 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Need I say more?
Thank you, LD
9.gif

Seriously, I have a really bad aversion to Topaz (in any shape or form). For me, I just can''t get past that it is (normally) a cheap and nasty gemstone set into rubbish jewellery and, more often than not, coated. So it''s a bit like plastic IYKWIM. Don''t get me wrong, I appreciate that Imperial and natural Topaz are of a different quality altogether but it''s still Topaz! I''ve bought Imperial Topaz and other forms of Topaz in the past but I''ve normally sold them on or given them away. They''re just not "me"! They don''t make me go "oooooooooooooooooh". It''s the one gemstone that I just can''t abide. Soweeeeee!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/1/2010 8:45:21 PM
Author:zeolite

The finest topaz from Ouro Preto can show some combination of pink, orange or red. These intense examples are called imperial topaz.

I remember an article in the GIA's periodical, "Gems and Gemology" from years ago which featured Ouro Preto and the topaz from there. Apparently a great deal of it is heated which removes the yellow component and turns the crystals pink. I doubt of they do it to top specimens anymore, since the unheated thing has become a big deal. Any this article about a field trip to the mines there is really neat and may be of interest to some here. It's kind of hard to tell from this picture what that crystal really looks like isn't it ?
Ouro Preto mines

Imperial topaz in mine seam.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love Imperial Topaz but have seen liitle stuff that is great--but much I might think is precious.

Is that specimen shown in the first picture for sale--but more to the point, can I afford it?
31.gif

cheers--Sharon

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 5:40:09 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I love Imperial Topaz but have seen liitle stuff that is great
31.gif

cheers--Sharon
There might one stone in all of the Tucson gem shows in one year, that is of this color, and it would of commercial Brazil cutting, not of optimum angles and polish, like this one.

Is that specimen shown in the first picture for sale--but more to the point, can I afford it?
31.gif
No, NFS. I would estimate that this color, but with commercial cutting, would sell for $10,000 wholesale, and retail, still commercial cut at a Tiffany's, perhaps at $26,000 for the gem and setting.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay, now I''m not a fan of heart shaped stones but I''ll admit those are pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice topaz, Z!

many just do not have an opportunity to see fine topaz: what most of us see is commercial for the masses [b&m''s, ebay, tv, etc]. nothing wrong with that and as i always say, there is something for every budget.

mz
MZ,
It''s so true. If I had an unlimited amount of $$$, I''d love the best of every kind of coloured gemstone. Topaz included but only the untreated sort like a rich pink or imperial.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:14:49 PM
Author: Chrono

nice topaz, Z!

mz
MZ,
It''s so true. If I had an unlimited amount of $$$, I''d love the best of every kind of coloured gemstone. Topaz included but only the untreated sort like a rich pink or imperial.
Really Chrono???
I had you pegged as the coated mystic topaz type.
31.gif
11.gif
LOL!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:17:03 PM

Really Chrono???
31.gif
11.gif
LOL!!
Darn it, you must have spied my mystic topaz collection while I had my back turned.
12.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:18:34 PM

Date: 1/2/2010 11:17:03 PM

Really Chrono???
31.gif
11.gif
LOL!!
Darn it, you must have spied my mystic topaz collection while I had my back turned.
12.gif
. . . and I bet you got them all from gemstv!! I''m so jealous!!
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:22:43 PM

12.gif
. . . and I bet you got them all from gemstv!! I''m so jealous!!
11.gif
But only because GemsTV said they are NATURAL stones.
25.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like topaz, not quite as much as some other stones, but blue topaz in particular is inexpensive and pretty. I actually like some of the coated/treated topaz better than the natural stuff, and I have a mystic topaz set that is pretty enough to surprise a lot of people. I''m not really big on peachy pinks, so the Ouro Preto ones don''t do it for me...give me a nice London blue any day!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that step barrel cut imperial topaz is sooo lovely
30.gif

I love natural blue topaz & been googling for ages for pakistan pink topaz. Though not much materials are available.

...I''ll obtain one someday *fingers-crossed* (hopefully)
5.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:26:37 PM

Date: 1/2/2010 11:22:43 PM

12.gif
. . . and I bet you got them all from gemstv!! I'm so jealous!!
11.gif
But only because GemsTV said they are NATURAL stones.
25.gif
WHAT? They're not NATURAL? They're coated????? You mean they don't come out of the earth all mystic????? Oh no. Throws away entire collection .........................
31.gif
11.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 5:50:18 AM
Author: blithesome71
30.gif

I love natural blue topaz & been googling for ages for pakistan pink topaz. Though not much materials are available.

5.gif

Dan has a natural pink topaz I''ve been eyeing for some time. Its a funky size, but so beautiful.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 9:43:01 AM
Author: IndyLady

Date: 1/3/2010 5:50:18 AM
Author: blithesome71
30.gif

5.gif

Dan has a natural pink topaz I''ve been eyeing for some time. Its a funky size, but so beautiful.
Dan stair or Dana (Mastercutgems)? Dana has one but the dimension doesn''t appeal to me. Nice price though

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results