shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you dislike - portuguese

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

This will be a rambling series in response to “what do you dislike?” This is not to criticize anyone’s tastes or preferences. It will just show examples that might change your mind.

The portuguese cut is designed mainly for large round gems. It has about 145 facets. If it is applied to too small a gem, the tiny, multiple facets appear too small to been seen clearly by the eye. It looks indistinct and fuzzy.

This is a “green gold”(yellow-green) citrine, 14.82 cts. It is 15.5mm in diameter. Portuguese cuts are also difficult to light properly and photograph. I’m not sure I succeeded here. The gem is resting on pastel yellow rose petals.

port1319.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
As always zeolite, a beautiful photo. Your Asscher cut Tanzanite photographed on an Hydrangea is one of the most beautiful gem photos I have seen. It''s interesting to know how/why the Portuguese cut is used - thanks

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I''ve always loved Portuguese cuts and that photo just reinforces it. Fabulous!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot imagine not liking a Portuguese cut stone, even stones with inadequate color, really improve with Portuguese cutting, especially those with lighter tonality. That''s a beautifully cut stone, and I don''t like yellow!!
30.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
You take such gorgeous photos zeolite, and that Portuguese looks amazing - I suspect with your collection you could convert me not to dislike anything

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 9:06:29 PM
Author: klewis
As always zeolite, a beautiful photo. Your Asscher cut Tanzanite photographed on an Hydrangea is one of the most beautiful gem photos I have seen. It''s interesting to know how/why the Portuguese cut is used - thanks

I''d not seen that picture until it was put into the book thread in Hangout. I seriously thought I might fall off my chair. I love when pictures of gems and jewelry make me gasp like that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that portugese cuts are also best with certain tones and not others, best with some gemstone family and not others, etc. You get my gist. I agree that they look best with larger stones but have also seen them done to cushions and rectangular stones with very good effect.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I have one in white topaz, but no idea what to do with it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with you on this one ......... I was surprised that anybody would dislike a Portugese cut. I have a marquise Paraiba Tourmaline in a Portugese cut that really does make the marquise more interesting.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the Portuguese cut and am also surprised that so many people don''t!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nope, sorry, still not a fan. I''d rather have a concave round - similar, but still different.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not a portuguese cut fan....despite being portuguese myself.....

however, i have noticed that i''ve been drawn to some lately. i think Z hit it on the head: larger stones can carry the cut well. i like larger stones. the cut seems to work on them. i see a portuguese cut in my future........

mz

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m enjoying these threads!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 11:19:12 AM
Author: movie zombie

however, i have noticed that i''ve been drawn to some lately. i think Z hit it on the head: larger stones can carry the cut well. i like larger stones. the cut seems to work on them. i see a portuguese cut in my future........

mz
MZ,
I just got a small 1.8 carat spinel of a medium-light tone, and it''s Portuguese cut. It''s a small stone, but sparkles like crazy, so I don''t think it always has to do with large stones, but stones with a certain tonality. I think aquas also benefit from Portuguese cutting since they need all the help they can get in the sparkle department.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 1:53:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/2/2010 11:19:12 AM
Author: movie zombie

mz
MZ,
I just got a small 1.8 carat spinel of a medium-light tone, and it''s Portuguese cut. It''s a small stone, but sparkles like crazy, so I don''t think it always has to do with large stones, but stones with a certain tonality. I think aquas also benefit from Portuguese cutting since they need all the help they can get in the sparkle department.
that''s good to know. however, i wonder if the high refractive index of spinel was a great assist? with aqua i don''t look for sparkle....ok, i''m weird because i like emerald cut for aqua.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen portugese cuts in aquas and they don''t do it for me either, but I do like them in stones with high RI. I still like my aquamarines as a step cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results