shape
carat
color
clarity

What do guys get for engagement?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:13:41 AM
Author: nabwong

You''re probably right. It''s not a common thing maybe. But we''re not one for traditions. That said, I wasn''t expecting anything from her. She was the one that insisted that she get me something and I''m not one to refuse. LOL.

Oh I think it''s very sweet of her to offer. You''re a lucky fellow.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:13:41 AM

Date: 7/7/2008 10:44:51 AM
Author: Fancy605
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I've not really heard of getting engagement gifts for boys. I certainly didn't present my then FI with anything. I did eventually buy him a TV, but that was more of a just because/for the new house present.

You're probably right. It's not a common thing maybe. But we're not one for traditions. That said, I wasn't expecting anything from her. She was the one that insisted that she get me something and I'm not one to refuse. LOL.
I think that in this day and age of women earning as much as men, and having quite successful careers at a rate nearly on pace with our male counterparts, it's not completely unheard of to suggest an engagement exchange. I have always felt that engagements were so one-sided, and that both parties should have something tangiible to celebrate that moment.

I suggest to every male I know to start the concept of an engagement exchange early on in a serious relationship, so the idea is already implanted in their beloved's mind.

Besides, it may not be a widely known tradition now, but how nice is it to start a new tradition of your own within your family?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
It's not an old tradition here, but it is a widely accepted one. My parents' generation would have done engagement gifts for the man (the tradition is a nice watch) but my grandparents' didn't.

BF (ETA: oops! FI!) will get a nice watch of his choice when I can afford it (not for a few years yet). In the meantime, he's getting an engagement jumper, of his own design, hand knit by me.

nabwong

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 12:47:18 PM
Author: Delster
It''s not an old tradition here, but it is a widely accepted one. My parents'' generation would have done engagement gifts for the man (the tradition is a nice watch) but my grandparents'' didn''t.

BF (ETA: oops! FI!) will get a nice watch of his choice when I can afford it (not for a few years yet). In the meantime, he''s getting an engagement jumper, of his own design, hand knit by me.

Don''t forget to sew his name on it, big bright font.
3.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
If you are not into jewelry then do as much research as you did on the ring for her and get a quality watch that you can wear long term...not just a nice looking quartz watch by a mass made company,but the best quality within the budget...I agree with brands like Rolex,Omega and JLC...A watch with a quality automatic movement and that has a simple elegant case and bracelet or leather strap will far out last any long forgotten technical toy (that will be out dated in a few years) and become a family heirloom much like her ring.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 3:32:02 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I'm not much help here.. but..

9.gif
.. my guy got ME! lol

And you're fantabulously hot and fierce so he's a winner!!!

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
I got my husband engagement golf clubs
1.gif

Not very sentimental, but very much loved, used and appreciated!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
There are a couple of magazines devoted to high-end watches, I like to look through them sometimes when I go to Barnes and Noble. You can see all the pictures and learn about the movements (no quartz allowed!) to get an idea of which you like best. A good watch can last a lifetime if you take care of it, and is perfect for a guy''s engagement gift. A Swiss watch with a manual movement is just as rare in quality and style as the diamond jewelry chosen by us Pricescoper''s!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What are your interests?

FI and I do a lot of mountain biking and road biking. I recently got him a Garmin GPS watch (disclaimer: for his birthday, not as an engagement gift) that he can wear while we bike. It tracks time, speed, elevation, and you can upload your trails onto google maps. He LOVES it!

nabwong

Rough_Rock
I think that I will be getting stuff that I will be using on a daily basis.

1. Digital Sound Recorder

I''m leaning towards a Sony PCM-D50. The only other option is the Edirol R-09HR. The edirol is more portable but the Sony seems to be superior in sound quality.

2. Watch

Looking for a solar and atomic watch. Maybe something Titanium. Decisions decisions. :)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
If you're going to get a watch, I'd either go for a manual wind or automatic. Go to a nice watch store and check them out in person--it's a fun activity for an afternoon and you'll wind (heh--no pun intended) up with an heirloom you can pass down to your future kids.

ETA: Even if you think you know what you want before trying some on, go! I went with FF and he picked out his dream watch that is nothing either of us would have chosen prior to seeing them on his wrist.

mel047

Shiny_Rock
I got my man a watch too. I knew he was going to propose, so I actually ended up giving it to him before I even got my ring.

Also got him a remote control corvette. Being in med school, I''m racking up the student loans and promised to get him one eventually. I''ve also thought about getting him a fishing rod I know he''d love, but still working on the funds for that one...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My hubby loves his engagement tv. He was kind of surprised when I offered but the 50" plasma HDTV was quite a bit less than my ring and we watch it together almost every day.
2.gif

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my guy a nice watch a couple of years ago for Christmas so that wasn''t an option for me. He''s a golf fanatic so for his engagement/wedding gift I gave him the spanky new Ping G10 driver he''s been drooling over.
3.gif
9.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Just to let you know, Tacori makes an engagement ring for men and it's not cheap - a cool $2,370: Tacori Ring
I don't know if you made a final decision yet, just wanted to give you my 2 cents worth!

PL038700000119.jpg

nabwong

Rough_Rock
I don''t intend to wear a wedding band even when we''re married. They tend to scratch my trumpets. There are some Citizen Eco-drives that have caught my attention lately. Also, i''ve been reading up on japanese watch technology and they seem to be on par or better than the european ones; but pricey.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 1:28:48 PM

Date: 7/7/2008 12:47:18 PM
Author: Delster
It''s not an old tradition here, but it is a widely accepted one. My parents'' generation would have done engagement gifts for the man (the tradition is a nice watch) but my grandparents'' didn''t.

BF (ETA: oops! FI!) will get a nice watch of his choice when I can afford it (not for a few years yet). In the meantime, he''s getting an engagement jumper, of his own design, hand knit by me.

Don''t forget to sew his name on it, big bright font.
3.gif
Ha ha, yup, like a Molly Weasley jumper!!!
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
D is getting a watch whenever he finds one that he likes. Seeing as we''ve been looking for one for 9 months, I''m not sure if he''ll ever find one that he loves!

nabwong

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 12:52:18 PM
Author: bee*
D is getting a watch whenever he finds one that he likes. Seeing as we''ve been looking for one for 9 months, I''m not sure if he''ll ever find one that he loves!

I have the same problem. My idea of a perfect watch is a $100 solar atomic g-shock.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I got my fiance a watch as well! It wasn''t too expensive (I am a grad student!), but he loves it and has told me it means more to him than anything else he owns.

Makes me melt every time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results