shape
carat
color
clarity

What did you give your parents as a gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''m trying to pick out some gifts for the parents but am finding the same old stuff online, what did you/are you giving to the parents and in laws for gifts? Thanks ladies

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
We will either be giving my mom a new laptop or cash depending on if she buys the laptop before the wedding. We want to give cash because she will just have paid for the entire wedding and I want us to give more.

For the in-laws hopefully a grandbaby. I am dead serious.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Mom is going on a cruise a few weekends after the wedding (not booked yet) with my aunt, so if I can find out where and when she is going without her finding out, I'd love to pay for her cruise. Dad, I probably won't get him anything because of all of his bull. FIL's, I'm totally stumped.
33.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
waterford frames w/ a poem I wrote in it. They IL''s and folks later put a picture of me and my hubs in it from our wedding day.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We''re just doing boring old wedding albums.
2.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
We''ll also probably do parent albums as the main gift. Will also probably pay for my mom and FMIL to get pampered the morning of the wedding (hair, makeup, mani/pedi, etc.) and probably a massage for my dad too.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We gave them really cute luggage tags and told them we wanted to send them on a one week vacation.
My dad left my mom two months after the wedding, so we didn''t have the opportunity to send them anywhere. Instead, we''re going to get my mom a custom ring once she figures out what the heck she wants.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Is it really ok to give them just a wedding album for a present? that''s a great idea :) And one less thing to check off my list

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can give them whatever you feel is appropriate.

We have a running joke in my family about people who give pictures of themselves to other people as gifts, so the album was definitely out for us. (We don''t have one, anyway.) I think a lot of brides give small albums as gifts to their parents, though.

My parents paid for our entire wedding, so we wanted to give them something to show how much we really appreciated their kind gift.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 2:08:55 PM
Author: Haven
My parents paid for our entire wedding, so we wanted to give them something to show how much we really appreciated their kind gift.

ours did too, i feel kind of guilty that we can''t give them some big nice present because we''ve only been employed recently (me since july and him since last month) because of the economy
7.gif
Any suggestions on what to do in this situation?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re getting each of our parents a framed picture of us from the wedding (laugh it up, Haven!
2.gif
3.gif
) that has the shards from the wedding glass breaking mixed into the frame.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you think of something unique that they would really appreciate? You don''t have to buy one thing for the two of them, you could get them individual gifts that show that you pay attention to what they love and care about.

Do they collect anything?
Do you have access to their wedding photos? You could find a really great shot of the two of them from your wedding, and then make sure to have your photog take a similar picture of you and your FI on your wedding day. Then you could have their picture copied and give them a frame with both photos in it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 2:25:20 PM
Author: elledizzy5
We''re getting each of our parents a framed picture of us from the wedding (laugh it up, Haven!
2.gif
3.gif
) that has the shards from the wedding glass breaking mixed into the frame.
9.gif
It''s just because we have a family friend who likes to give us framed photos of herself for birthdays and holidays. She lives out of town, so we know the photos come from a sweet place, but it just turned into a joke. There''s no way I could give my parents a photo album of my own wedding and not get sh*t about it for the rest of my life.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
my husband and i didn''t want to go too overboard on gifts for our families- we paid for a large portion of the wedding, and we figured if they received costly gifts from us, it might feel like we used their money to purchase them gifts instead of for the wedding like it was intended.

we are getting them each a small album of edited pictures (andy loves to give pictures of himself...which is funny bc he isn''t narcisstic at all). we also gave my mom a GPS (she gets lost all the time- i gave her a cute note that said its so she can always find her way back to me)...and then also gave each mom a personalized handkerchief with our dates and in our colors- it said, "thanks for raising your son/daughter to be the man/woman of my dreams."

dads didn''t get anything but a nice card- neither dad contributed to the cost of the wedding, and i didn''t see a reason to give them gifts.
33.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 2:25:32 PM
Author: Haven
You could find a really great shot of the two of them from your wedding, and then make sure to have your photog take a similar picture of you and your FI on your wedding day. Then you could have their picture copied and give them a frame with both photos in it.

Oh I do love this idea :) This would be fairly easy since the one of my parents is of them walking down the aisle after the ceremony and his parents is of them cutting their cake :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We actually didn''t get parent gifts. I just had no idea what they would want - they don''t like "nice" things like jewelry or watches. We also didn''t get gifts for each other, so I guess we''re just not gifty people. I don''t even think my parents know there''s such thing as parent gifts. Sorry, I''m no help!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I emailed my parents to say I''d give them wedding gifts after the wedding because I needed pictures for it to which my dad replied "You''re the only gift we need" *collective awwwwwwww*
12.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
We got them a digital photoframe and will be telling them we will put all the wedding photos (or the photos of their choice) onto a memory card so they can have many photos from the wedding.

They also visit my grandmother in her nursing home frequently and it''s over 2 hours away - so I found a nice resturant that is right on their way and I got them a gift certificate for at least 3 dinner stops.

It isn''t much but we don''t really have much $$ left to spend on anything!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I think they get albums? Maybe? Not sure if they''re in our package.... if not, we''ll have some nice hardcover photo books made with the CD of edited images.

His parents are paying for the rehearsal dinner and my parents paid for my dress(es). We''re super appreciative of their generosity, and if we had bottomless pockets I''d send them all on fabu vacations, but that isn''t in the cards
28.gif
They know we love ''em anyway!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I think most parents appreciate the gesture, no matter what it might be. I know my parents are of the mindset that we are young(ish) and just starting out our lives and they would rather us not spend money on them, period. They can afford any gift they would really want and know we can''t, so something thoughtful to remember the wedding day is what they would most appreciate. Pictures, time spent with us, and happy memories are all they need!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 3:54:42 PM
Author: elrohwen
We actually didn''t get parent gifts. I just had no idea what they would want - they don''t like ''nice'' things like jewelry or watches. We also didn''t get gifts for each other, so I guess we''re just not gifty people. I don''t even think my parents know there''s such thing as parent gifts. Sorry, I''m no help!

Ha, we didn''t either! Once I get the DVDs of my wedding photos I''m going to make albums for both sets of parents, though. I actually asked my mom if I was supposed to do parent gifts because I''d read here about people doing them, and she said not to get them a thing. So I listened!
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results