shape
carat
color
clarity

What did I just get myself into?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fi and I have decided to do a full blown family Turkey Day this year in an effort to bring our families together to meet before the wedding. Right now we have 6 adults and 4.5 kids on the list with an additional 5 adults possibly coming. I have no problem cooking or having people over, but I''ve never cooked for so many and I have no idea how much food to make. While not mandatory, I know my family, so I''m expecting that everyone will bring something to contribute to the table, so that will help.

So here''s our usual list. Suggestions for qty would be helpful 11 adults and 4.5 kids with enough for leftovers

Turkey (how big?)
Mashed potatoes
Squash (either baked acorn or mashed butternut)
Sweet potato casserole
Peas
Brussel Sprouts
Green bean casserole
Stuffing

HELP!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Half a kid? I think an explanation is necessary for that one HH!
3.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, she''s only JUST going to be eating solid food, so I''m not counting her as a full body right now.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I would recommend making a list of the dishes you plan to make. From there I would look up recipes online and consider how many servings each recipe makes, and double/triple/quadruple as necessary!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
YOu know you can always go for a big mac or pizza after if you run out of food.
just kidding you will do fine make more and you can freeze or give your guests a little to take back home with them.Always works for me.
Have fun and enjoy your guests.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I have to cook a 20lb turkey??? Maybe one of the family members will bring one already cooked. Ha!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG, hire a caterer!
emsmileo.gif
Just kidding, I actually love to cook, but that''s a lot of people. Over the past couple of years I''ve been hosting my husband''s family & friends at our house for Thanksgiving, and what I always do is make the turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, my special sauerkraut, and pumpkin pie. I make everything except the turkey a day or two in advance. Then, I have our guests bring the other side dishes, and I tell them each what I would like for them to bring, so I know that we''ll have a green veggie, a chocolate dessert, etc. I think that guests actually like it if you ask them to bring something specific, so they know what to make - for instance, my MIL does her green bean specialty every year, so she is always happy to make something that everyone enjoys.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Vesper. I was thinking along those lines-making assignments for side dishes. Everyone has their own specialty. I''m more daunted by the whole massive turkey thing. See last year I hosted my parents and I cooked a turkey. I had bought a frozen turkey and I ''thought'' I had defrosted it all the way through. Apparently not, because it didn''t cook in time for dinner. We tried to carve it, realized it was underdone and put it back. But we were all starving so we sat down and had our sides adn went about our day. And we forgot about the bird. So....the bird was then over done. I went out and bought 2 turkey breasts the next day and made those up for sandwiches.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:11:29 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Thanks Vesper. I was thinking along those lines-making assignments for side dishes. Everyone has their own specialty. I'm more daunted by the whole massive turkey thing. See last year I hosted my parents and I cooked a turkey. I had bought a frozen turkey and I 'thought' I had defrosted it all the way through. Apparently not, because it didn't cook in time for dinner. We tried to carve it, realized it was underdone and put it back. But we were all starving so we sat down and had our sides adn went about our day. And we forgot about the bird. So....the bird was then over done. I went out and bought 2 turkey breasts the next day and made those up for sandwiches.

I DEFINITELY recommend buying a fresh turkey. Defrosting is not an issue and it tastes SO MUCH BETTER! You can usually reserve a fresh turkey at most grocery stores a few weeks before Thanksgiving. Personally, I buy large for leftovers (and more gravy). For the amount of people you have, I'd get at least a 25lb turkey. That's all about preference though.

ETA: You also have a lot of side dishes listed, especially if you think family members will bring sides of their own. Mashed potatoes, squash, AND sweet potato casserole - that's a lot of starch. I'd choose 2 (mashed potatos and whole baked sweet potatoes are what I do - family brings sweet potato casserole). Peas, brussel sprouts, and green bean casserole... Again, I'd choose two of the three and make lots of extra green bean casserole (that's what goes first in my family) but both peas and brussel sprouts are easy, so it really wouldn't be a big deal if you made all of those veggie options (especially considering many kids don't like brussel sprouts).

I think you'll be fine. Thanksgiving really isn't hard if you prepare almost everything ahead of time. The actual Thanksgiving day cooking can simply involve throwing everything in the oven at the right time and making the gravy.
18.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Have you cooked a turkey before? I learned the hard way when I did my first turkey three years ago that you definitely need to put that sucker in the fridge for about 5 days to defrost slowly. I just pulled mine out the night before (or maybe it was 6 am that morning!?!) and when I went to roast it at around 12 the giblets were still frozen inside of the cavity!! I had to defrost it in tepid water in the kitchen sink until I could pull out the giblets. They don''t recommend that I guess. I finally got it stuffed and it turned out pretty nicely.

The second turkey I roasted was around 23 lbs so it was a MONSTER. I was smarter about defrosting that one.

Good luck with your family Turkey Day. I am also hosting my parents and my FF''s parents on the holiday in our newish home. It will be the first time we''re all together as well. I would highly recommend assigning side dishes so you and your oven are not overwhelmed!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Lord, I don''t even know if a 25lb turkey would fit in my oven!

Last year was the first year I did frozen and I really don''t want to do that again...for obv reasons

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, I''ve cooked several, but they were all fresh. Last year I couldn''t find a fresh bird to save my life so I went frozen. I left it to defrost in the fridge for 36 hours or so and then finished it in the bath tub.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:19:07 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Good Lord, I don''t even know if a 25lb turkey would fit in my oven!

Last year was the first year I did frozen and I really don''t want to do that again...for obv reasons
Hee hee hee! Yeah, you definitely need a full size or bigger oven. And fitting the side dishes towards the end is truly an art. I used to have a tiny apartment oven... not a chance a 25 pounder would fit in there!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Are you guys sure? I''ve had 8 adults over many times with a 16-18 lb. turkey and still had leftover for two days.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:37:35 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Are you guys sure? I''ve had 8 adults over many times with a 16-18 lb. turkey and still had leftover for two days.

Oh, I''m sure 16-18 lbs would be fine for 8... I just was saying I like to buy a large turkey, esp. since I usually send people home with leftovers and want leftovers of my own. Also, if she has the potential to have up to 11 adults + 4.5 kids, larger might be a wise choice.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love making homemade turkey soup with the leftovers, yummmmmmmy.

Linda

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are suppose to do 2lbs per person. We always have thanksgiving at our house (but the moms and my sister help cook so it isn't that big of a deal) and last year we had a 20 lbs turkey and 12 adults. I am not a big turkey lover and one of the adults didn't eat meat so I guess it was for 10 people. I got ours from Trader Joes and will this year too.

Don't forget about the gravy and dessert.

ETA: I would do a 25 lber if I were you.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m doing the same thing but I''m not going to worry about it yet, hehe. Maybe you can do a turkey & ham. All you have to with ham is glaze it & heat it in the oven or crock pot, right? Just need dessert & beverages.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with everything!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. I've cooked Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for 12 adults for about 5 years now, and to me (at the ripe old age of 26
3.gif
) the hardest part was making sure I had enough of each side dish, and figuring out how to make it all come out on time.

For me, the turkey is the easiest part, because I can do the calculations ahead of time for how much turkey, and how long to cook it. And then I just toss some salt, pepper and butter on it (and any spices or herbs that catch my eye) and toss it in the oven.

One thing I always do too though is cut an apple in half, and toss either 1/2 of it or the whole thing into the cavity of the bird, which keeps it moist and adds an extra dimension of flavor. Don't worry, it doesn't come out tasting like an apple or anything, just makes it a little bit more interesting.

Oh, and I always make sure to have the turkey rest before we start carving it up. So it gets to hang out for about 1/2 an hour before anyone is allowed to touch it. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference.

Good luck! I'm glad you're starting to think about it early, it makes it a lot easier if you've planned in advance. Also, you can try out smaller versions of the recipes you'll use, on your FI before Turkey Day comes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results