shape
carat
color
clarity

what color goes best with green and red?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! I am thinking of a 3 stone project, currently have on hand a apple-green peridot 7mm concave cushion and a 6.2mm round red spinel, little dark.I thought of mounting into 3 individual lotus. That can be worn together at times. What do you think should the last stone be? what color goes best? shape (I am thinking of an oval)? size? biggest among all, around 8mm or a size between the 2 stones I have, around 6.5mm? Your input is greatly appeciated:)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about a watermelon tourmaline...so you have the 2 colors together....the ring that binds them all...

Seriously though, maybe a tsav?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2009 11:53:26 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
How about a watermelon tourmaline...so you have the 2 colors together....the ring that binds them all...

Seriously though, maybe a tsav?
25.gif
good suggestion. I was thinking of just getting a ready made lotus from sally? any comments?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
This is a tricky one. You can either get a completely different looking stone, or one that would be similar to one of those that you have, but be a different color. Which option sounds better to you?

If you''d go for something completely different I''d make sure it has a medium tone (cause you have one darker and one lighter gem), it''s step cut (cause you have a brilliant cut and a concave cut), it''s a different size than either of the two (so either between them in size, smaller, or larger than both), and has a different kind of outline, so something with straight lines and sharp points, not as curvy as rounds or cushions. My suggestions: spessartite, amethyst (if not dark), paraiba, blue sapphire (also not dark).

If you''d like something that looks similar to one of your stones, I''d probably go for one that''s similar to the smaller one in all important aspects (tone, cutting style, size and outline). So I''d get something darker in tone, done in some sort of brilliant cut (round, trillion or heart for example), same size as spinel (or as close to it as possible) and something similar in outline (shape), so no straight lines or sharp points here. My suggestions: rhodolite, purple sapphire.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 4:26:32 AM
Author: ma re
This is a tricky one. You can either get a completely different looking stone, or one that would be similar to one of those that you have, but be a different color. Which option sounds better to you?

If you''d go for something completely different I''d make sure it has a medium tone (cause you have one darker and one lighter gem), it''s step cut (cause you have a brilliant cut and a concave cut), it''s a different size than either of the two (so either between them in size, smaller, or larger than both), and has a different kind of outline, so something with straight lines and sharp points, not as curvy as rounds or cushions. My suggestions: spessartite, amethyst (if not dark), paraiba, blue sapphire (also not dark).

If you''d like something that looks similar to one of your stones, I''d probably go for one that''s similar to the smaller one in all important aspects (tone, cutting style, size and outline). So I''d get something darker in tone, done in some sort of brilliant cut (round, trillion or heart for example), same size as spinel (or as close to it as possible) and something similar in outline (shape), so no straight lines or sharp points here. My suggestions: rhodolite, purple sapphire.
wow wow... that''s a lot of info to digest at a go! :) hmm..great detailed analysis. will certainly give it a thought! i think I will prefer a similar one. yes rhodolite crossed my mind too. I am thinking of a golden tourmaline?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go with a light blue. Unless you have a good sense of humour, I suggest staying away from orange or you’ll get the traffic light look.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You can give golden tourmaline a try, if you''d like it to be similar to one of the stones you own, seems logical to me to make it similar to a peridot. So I''d consider a concave cut one, maybe done in a trillion shape (but another cushion would be nice too, you can make them different by setting one "on the tip", for example). There are certainly a lot of things to consider here.

P. S. Yes, they could end up looking like a traffic light, but you choose the way you''ll align the stones so they don''t have to.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
When I think of "jewel tones", I always think of deep red, deep blue, dark green, a golden orange yellow, and rich purple. I would pick something from that mix in the same depth of color.

Laura

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 8:29:19 AM
Author: ma re
You can give golden tourmaline a try, if you''d like it to be similar to one of the stones you own, seems logical to me to make it similar to a peridot. So I''d consider a concave cut one, maybe done in a trillion shape (but another cushion would be nice too, you can make them different by setting one ''on the tip'', for example). There are certainly a lot of things to consider here.

P. S. Yes, they could end up looking like a traffic light, but you choose the way you''ll align the stones so they don''t have to.

Haha traffic light! Yes ma re I have a similar thought on the above suggestion.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 8:41:43 AM
Author: Largosmom
When I think of ''jewel tones'', I always think of deep red, deep blue, dark green, a golden orange yellow, and rich purple. I would pick something from that mix in the same depth of color.

Laura

Tks Laura for your input! you know what, I had actually took out my son''s box of color pencil to see which colors go better:) blue and purple looks good. Golden is nice too! anymore suggestion out there??

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a purple, nice dark and rich!! HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results