shape
carat
color
clarity

What charities do you give to, why and ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
.....how do you know the money goes to the needy?

All this talk about bling and material possessions remind me that DH and I need to contribute more to charities. At the moment, we contribute to breast cancer foundation, kidney foundation, Medicin Sans Frontier, donations to various churches as well as money and time to orphanages in Vietnam. The reasons are: we have friends and family who have been affected by cancer, kidney problems; MSF was the charity that was responsible for rescueing my family and myself from the sea when we were boat people; donations to churches are kind of obvious; there are so many poor orphans in VN who need both the time and the money that you could donate. We also make regular contributions to the Chicago Legal Clinic. When the tsunami hit South-East Asia, we donated money to the Red Cross and we've also taken holidays to Indonesia and Thailand (which are one of the best ways to help families affected).

We're also thinking of ways of making contributions to people in VN, Cambodia and Laos who are already affected by TB, and also to help prevent more people from getting it. My mum's problem with TB and the translating work I did recently helped highlight how prevalent this disease is in this part of the world.

I'm a little concerned about whether the money that you give to the various charities actually goes to the people that actually need it, rather than help line the pockets of others and/ or help finance their extravagant ways. There was some news in recent years about how some people in a well-known charity (naming no name) fly around in business class and in S'pore, there was a problem with this top guy in the National Kidney Foundation mis-using the funds. However, I know that if we go to VN and visit the orphanages, the money and food supplies actually do go to the kids. If I work in a hospital (even if it is just to help translating), then I know that I am actually helping the patients.

So I am wondering what you PS'ers do?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lien,

Check out: http://www.charitynavigator.org/

They tell you how much is spent on what for various charities and rate each charity for its efficiency and things. They also tell you how much the CEO makes, in case you're concerned with pocket lining!

Most of my charity money goes to UNICEF, next is United Way, and I also give to Heifer, usually in lieu of gifts to family members.

Almost all of what UNICEF raises goes directly to funding programs: building schools, immunizing kids, providing treatment for things like malaria, etc. A huge direct impact!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Doctors Without Borders is one of my favorite charities.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
This is a great thread!!

I give to a lot of different charities at different times, but here are the steady ones:

- Sickle Cell Foundation because I have family members and friends that suffer from this disease.

- Martha''s Table is an organization in DC that feeds the homeless and provides other community services. I started working with them back in 1990 and I have tried to support them ever since.

- Habitat for Humanity, because that is how I met my husband! I''d actually supported them prior to meeting my husband, but I got more involved when I went to his country for a H4H project. Long story short I ended up staying waaaaay longer than the specified end of the project. When we decided that we''d take a stab at a relationship I went back to visit several times, each time helping at the Habitat worksite. When I finally came back home I started working with the affiliate here in the DC. Now we are in the same country together, we are married and very happy. So Habitat holds a special place in both of our hearts!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, TG and Kimberly. That's so great! You ladies are amazing people.
1.gif

Just in case I gave anyone the wrong idea, I know a lot of charities if not most are properly run by people with hearts of gold. For example: I know for certain that the Chicago Legal Clinic is run by people with impeccable integrity, we know some of them personally and know their work. Medicins Sans Frontieres is another awesome charity.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2007 9:41:25 AM
Author: onedrop
This is a great thread!!

I give to a lot of different charities at different times, but here are the steady ones:

- Sickle Cell Foundation because I have family members and friends that suffer from this disease.

- Martha''s Table is an organization in DC that feeds the homeless and provides other community services. I started working with them back in 1990 and I have tried to support them ever since.

- Habitat for Humanity, because that is how I met my husband! I''d actually supported them prior to meeting my husband, but I got more involved when I went to his country for a H4H project. Long story short I ended up staying waaaaay longer than the specified end of the project. When we decided that we''d take a stab at a relationship I went back to visit several times, each time helping at the Habitat worksite. When I finally came back home I started working with the affiliate here in the DC. Now we are in the same country together, we are married and very happy. So Habitat holds a special place in both of our hearts!
That is so awesome, Onedrop! Love the way you met your hubby!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give annually to the Red Cross, United Way, SPCA and when I travel to Asia, I usually donate to temples and other smaller local groups. It''s great so see so many giving people here on PS; we aren''t all just into bling and sparklies. I am also very particular about which charity I contribute to because I''ve read a lot about mismanagement of funds.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It is neat to see who foilks support: we give to the United Way, Unicef, Fire Fighter Burn Fund, Terry Fox Run and the Cancer Society, Disabled Childrens fund (they buy wheelchairs, etc, for kids locally), Food Bank, Goodwill Society, Cerebral Palsy Foundation, and a gift basket at Chrstmas to my (one) ESL group.

cheers--Sharon

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
LienTN: no thank you for starting this thread! I realize I didn''t respond to the last part of your post which is determining how the contributions are used or how much go toward actual recipients vs. administrative expenses. How the money is actually used is a huge issue for me and that is why I am somewhat selective regarding the organizations I give to. I tend to provide more support to charities that I am actually familiar with. I do know that the United Way gives a breakdown of the money flow for each organization under their umbrella.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite charity is called Modest Needs. They give small grants to average people who run into the occasional bump in the road of life. Most are self supporting but have had medical setbacks, job loss, etc. I love it because it is a safety net to keep people from slipping into worse situations. They are very open about their spending and budget and they have a very thorough vetting process. Plus, they allow donors to participate in rating grant applications and they encourage the pass it forward philosophy. Web site is modestneeds.org.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lien I love this thread. I was wondering the same thing!

Both hubby and I give to United Way as an automatic deduction from pay checks; if we wanted we could designate a certain amount to a charity as long as they are a 501(c)3 non profit organization. Hubby and I volunteer out in the community because I think where we live we do not always see people who need help and that helps gives us perspective and how important it is to us to give. Sometimes we do the walks for a certain causes and give money that way too. Lien, why don't you sit on a board of a charity you like so you can make sure they are on the up and up?? I know a lot of accountants who do that. It is sad a few give the good ones a bad name. Just a thought.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I currently only give to the Humane Society that I adopted my doggy from

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
We give to our church, which has several very active community ministries. Some of our giving goes toward the church''s general fund (to keep the lights on and the salaries paid, etc.), and some is earmarked toward various ministries.

My parents live in New Orleans, and it will always be home to me, so I also earmark funds for various hurricaine recovery efforts. Habitat for Humanity is doing great work there, and there are a number of other organizations as well.

I also give to my alma mater''s alumnae fund. It''s not really a charity, but a large number of scholarships come out of that alumnae fund. I received some of those scholarships when I was in college and being there was an amazing intellectual and personal experience for me, so I like to do what I can to help other young women attend that college as well.

Finally, I''m a member of an organization that provides trained volunteers to the community, so I give a lot of my time to volunteer work. We have a literacy focus, and I''m currently involved in tutoring children.

Lien, my husband and I were thinking that we would like to help some worthy charities in Vietnam as well. Could you recommend any?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 8:57:10 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Hi Lien,

Indy, thanks for the link; that is awesome. My United Ways has 4 stars so it is good to see; I sort of knew it was a good one but this link is quite helpful and I will probably look at it if I decide to give to another org. Thanks again!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
We donate to Susan G. Komen for the cure (breast cancer) whenever we can by donating/participating in the mother's day 5k and by adding on the extra $1 when asked (for ex: we upgraded gift cards for our nieces to the pink breast cancer ones for $1 and the extra $1 went to the charity).

We also donate when we have a friend or family member involved in a run/walk that they're trying to get sponsors for.

I never really even thought about where the money was going. I just figured it was charity, so it must be for a good cause! I can be a bit naive sometimes...so, thanks for posting that link!

ETA: woops, forgot to put that we give for breast cancer because we have relatives who are survivors (my mom and others)

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
We give to our church''s weekly collection, and to the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance, because it affects my little brother.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We prefer to volunteer rather than donate, when possible. We both do work with the People Animal Connection (PAC) at the UCLA Hospital, which is animal-assisted therapy (basically lifting patients' spirits with our super-cute dog who is just OBSESSED with people... he has 10x more fun there than at the dog park!).

Other than that, FI's charity of choice is The Conservation Fund (he donates monthly), and mine is the Alzheimer's Foundation of America (I donate annually). I have to admit I have a selfishly vested interest in Alzheimer's research, though, as every woman in my mother's line has had onset before age 70
15.gif
. It's not something I'm looking forward to.

Anyway, I don't know about FI's charity, but for mine I know it goes directly to research because my aunt was a research subject in their program. The issue of whether or not the charity program is an honest venture is part of why I prefer volunteering to donating... with volunteering, there's no question where your time and effort are going, as there is with money.

ETA: IG, good link. FI's has four stars, so I'm glad to know that. AFA wasn't listed, though... hmm....
40.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to recommend the charity navigator; there are other websites as that rate charities. I feel more comfortable donating to larger organizations that have low operating costs where a high percentage of the money goes to the work than to operating/fundraising costs. There are just so places it''s just mind boggling.
I''m a contributer to a whole bunch of places where you give token amounts ($25,50), to the extent it''s a little out of hand. So for the annual giving through my job, just donating to 2 places, habitat for humanity international (helps both in the US and abroad) and Conservation International, which is conservation focused on preserving overall biodiversity of the planet. I''d like to do in the future is to give same amount money or more, but prune down to just to 2,3 organizations.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just skimmed the posts so I''m not sure if it''s been mentioned...

The March of Dimes is a wonderful organization. Besides donations, I also participate in the March. The contributions help not only premature babies, but also help fund research to prevent the premature births. They also educate the parents of these dear little ones.

Stardust

Rough_Rock
I don't donate to any. I've always worked for charities in jobs that pay less than I would if I worked a similar job that wasn't for a charity. I see this as my way of giving to charity. My salary doesn't allow me to give currently while still earning enough to save for a house.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Susan G Komen for the Cure
American Cancer Society

(both of those for breast cancer, and my mom was diagnosed last year)

Best Friends (helps rescue pets)
American Red Cross

(started giving to those after Hurricane Katrina)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 8:57:10 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Hi Lien,

They tell you how much is spent on what for various charities and rate each charity for its efficiency and things. They also tell you how much the CEO makes, in case you''re concerned with pocket lining!

Most of my charity money goes to UNICEF, next is United Way, and I also give to Heifer, usually in lieu of gifts to family members.

Almost all of what UNICEF raises goes directly to funding programs: building schools, immunizing kids, providing treatment for things like malaria, etc. A huge direct impact!
I was going to suggest Charity Navigator too. But IG, I have to set you straight on UNICEF, and most UN agencies for that matter...it''s a nightmare organization that almost never follows throughs on important programming; wastes HUGE amounts of money on maintaining a gravy train for too many people who do almost nothing other than pushing paper and doing the bare minimum; and put promotional stuff over actual programming (you know those infamous "UNICEF visits" that famous people do? Well, nothing gets done for months before one of those visits with all the silly prep that goes on to coddle VIPS around the field). Most of what you see is the high profile stuff paraded for the media. The really urgent stuff moves at a snail''s pace...I know firsthand, I''ve worked for them for many years. In fact, I dont even recommend people doing that Trick or Treat for UNICEF anymore, that''s how wasteful the org is. I could regale you with horror stories but I wont. To that end, I always recommend MSF/DWB because they get the job done. Seva is good for eye issues in remote locations, as is Heifer Intl. Family Health Intl is pretty good. Those are my personal picks. I know all the insider dirt on most intl agencies and there are very few I''d actually give money to knowing how they spend it (not all the info on Charity Intl reflects the reality on the ground)...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH donates to United Way at work, I typically give to St. Jude Children''s Hospital (my sorority''s main charity - as an undergrad, we went to Memphis every year-- St. Jude is AMAZING), and we also gave to the U.S. Humane Society (and St. Jude) in lieu of wedding favors. I also often support Easter Seals (also did a lot of charity work for them as an undergraduate - amazing people and organization). As for local charities, we mostly give to our church. We make small contributions, usually - I can''t wait for the day that we can do more. :)

A holiday giving tradition that I hope to soon make our own: Each year, a friend of mine is given a set amount (between $100-$200) each year from her mother. Everyone in the family gets the same amount, and on Christmas day, they share what they did with the $$$ to help others. I can''t think of a better way to truly capture the spirit of the holidays and a better gift to give your family.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 8:40:13 AM
Author:lienTN

All this talk about bling and material possessions remind me that DH and I need to contribute more to charities. At the moment, we contribute to breast cancer foundation, kidney foundation, Medicin Sans Frontier, donations to various churches as well as money and time to orphanages in Vietnam. The reasons are: we have friends and family who have been affected by cancer, kidney problems; MSF was the charity that was responsible for rescueing my family and myself from the sea when we were boat people; donations to churches are kind of obvious; there are so many poor orphans in VN who need both the time and the money that you could donate. We also make regular contributions to the Chicago Legal Clinic. When the tsunami hit South-East Asia, we donated money to the Red Cross and we''ve also taken holidays to Indonesia and Thailand (which are one of the best ways to help families affected).

We''re also thinking of ways of making contributions to people in VN, Cambodia and Laos who are already affected by TB, and also to help prevent more people from getting it. My mum''s problem with TB and the translating work I did recently helped highlight how prevalent this disease is in this part of the world.

I''m a little concerned about whether the money that you give to the various charities actually goes to the people that actually need it, rather than help line the pockets of others and/ or help finance their extravagant ways. There was some news in recent years about how some people in a well-known charity (naming no name) fly around in business class and in S''pore, there was a problem with this top guy in the National Kidney Foundation mis-using the funds. However, I know that if we go to VN and visit the orphanages, the money and food supplies actually do go to the kids. If I work in a hospital (even if it is just to help translating), then I know that I am actually helping the patients.

So I am wondering what you PS''ers do?
The orphanage in VN that Oliver Stone and others built is empty, so I hope it''s not that one. A lot of times money sent through the government does not get to the people who need it. There are some orphanages that they proudly show money going to, and then there are they don''t want you to see. If you have someone or an organization there that you trust, I prefer sending it to them who can make sure it goes where it is supposed to go. Or like you said, going to an orphanage/leper colony or hospital yourself you can be sure you''re helping.

I give to organizations which help persecuted people and supply Bibles to those who are in restricted countries where Christianity is restricted/prohibited/punishable.

I also give to The Boys and Girls Club of America. There are so many hurting kids in the world and so many without positive role models. I''ve worked with inner-city kids in Los Angeles (not through BGCA) and they were amazed that someone would care enough about them to drive in traffic, come to their neighborhood, not get paid just to work with them, and be a positive role model. It''s sad it should come as a shock to them that they are lovable, special, and can have a hope for the future.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Y''all might be interested in this (and I hope this isn''t against the rules to post?)... Community Plus... you sign up, choose an organization and use it as a gateway when you do your online shopping. Different companies donate different percentages from your shopping and most major companies are on there. You log into your account and see how much has gone to your organization. A lot of times I will choose to buy online instead of in-store for that reason.

Also, Windows Live Messenger has an option that if you put an organization''s code (yourscreenname*code), every time you log in, a donation is sent to the org you choose.

Oh, and Target lets you assign a school where donations will go every time you use your Target card. (I don''t remember if it''s a percentage every purchase or what).

Every little bit helps :)

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
We give to multiple charities. One I haven''t seen listed here is the ALS society. My dad died from ALS (lou gehrig disease). They are still not even sure what causes it and there is no cure.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 8:40:13 AM
Author:lienTN

All this talk about bling and material possessions remind me that DH and I need to contribute more to charities. At the moment, we contribute to breast cancer foundation, kidney foundation, Medicin Sans Frontier, donations to various churches as well as money and time to orphanages in Vietnam. The reasons are: we have friends and family who have been affected by cancer, kidney problems; MSF was the charity that was responsible for rescueing my family and myself from the sea when we were boat people; donations to churches are kind of obvious; there are so many poor orphans in VN who need both the time and the money that you could donate. We also make regular contributions to the Chicago Legal Clinic. When the tsunami hit South-East Asia, we donated money to the Red Cross and we've also taken holidays to Indonesia and Thailand (which are one of the best ways to help families affected).

We're also thinking of ways of making contributions to people in VN, Cambodia and Laos who are already affected by TB, and also to help prevent more people from getting it. My mum's problem with TB and the translating work I did recently helped highlight how prevalent this disease is in this part of the world.

I'm a little concerned about whether the money that you give to the various charities actually goes to the people that actually need it, rather than help line the pockets of others and/ or help finance their extravagant ways. There was some news in recent years about how some people in a well-known charity (naming no name) fly around in business class and in S'pore, there was a problem with this top guy in the National Kidney Foundation mis-using the funds. However, I know that if we go to VN and visit the orphanages, the money and food supplies actually do go to the kids. If I work in a hospital (even if it is just to help translating), then I know that I am actually helping the patients.

So I am wondering what you PS'ers do?
lien, I just wanted to say that flying business class is usually dependant on the number of hours one is flying. For example, most agencies say that if you have to fly on official business for more than 8-9 hours then you are entitled to business class. I fly business all the time, I wont fly economy for a job that's a 12-28 hour plane ride. I have to be able to hit the ground running when I arrive so it's important to arrive able rested and ready to work. I think the issue is more when org's say they do this and that, but they dont. Or they waste money keeping inept people employed who slow the wheels of progress. You wouldn't believe the stories I've heard and experienced about why someone who causes programming delays cannot be fired (s/he is the relative of someone high up in local govt, etc.). Meanwhile, people go hungry, services dont get promoted and implemented, etc. It's maddening. So much of that Tsunami money wasn't even distributed to those most in need. But I think the org's mentioned in this thread are for the most part worthy orgs that get the job done. I used to not care for MSF because they're like cowboys, often working around local govt and that used to bother me. But now? I realize that they do whatever they need to do to get services to those most in need. And that is something I can support wholeheartedly. I would caution against funding "orphanges" unless one is very clear on what sort of orphange it is. I say this in an HIV context because one of the things we're dealing with now is church do-gooders who want to set up "AIDS Orphanages" for kids who are either HIV+ and/or have lost parents who were positive. The problem is that such orphanges usually have a tendancy to end up as dumping grounds for HIV orphans whose own families dont want to care for them due to stigma and discrimination against those infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. So please, take care when donating to orphanages and be sure what you're funding.

Knowing so much of what really goes on in the field, I can imagine how confusing it is to people trying to make a heartfelt donation somewhere. I usually advise my friends to make a meaningful donation to something in their own community, and if there's money left over, choose something like MSF or Heifer for the rest. Heifer is great for teaching kids about giving. You can have your kids sell things, or give up their old/used toys to a charity and then take the value of those toys (or money they earned) and let them choose a donation from Heifer. It's more tangible to kids than a regular donation. Being able to choose giving a family in need ducks, rabbits, etc. is a great thing for kids. We do that with my nephews every year.

ETA: Lien, you mentioned going to orphanges when you're in VN and I think the best thing to do in those cases is ask what they need and buy it for them. That way you know your money was used in the manner intended.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We give the most to our church. Aside from that we give smaller amounts to Habitat, Crisis Pregnancy Center, Samaritan''s Purse, etc. But my most favorite thing outside of the church is supporting orphans and orphanages internationally. Current ones are in China and Haiti.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avon Foundation (breast cancer), Amvets (American Veterans), and misc. others, typically donations $50 or under annually. We don''t give cash to AmVets, I take our gently used clothing and household items to them a few times a year. Coincidentally I just dropped off 3 huge bags of my clothing to them today!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 10:02:16 PM
Author: monarch64
Avon Foundation (breast cancer), Amvets (American Veterans), and misc. others, typically donations $50 or under annually. We don''t give cash to AmVets, I take our gently used clothing and household items to them a few times a year. Coincidentally I just dropped off 3 huge bags of my clothing to them today!
Oh yeah, donating clothes in still good condition is a great way to help. There is a women''s shelter we can do that for through the YWCA. I''m sure many of those women have nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results