shape
carat
color
clarity

What carat diamond should I get for this custom piece?

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
For those who know about James Avery jewelry, I have one of his pieces in 14K gold & I wanted to go ahead and add a diamond in the heart center.

I emailed customer service to see if I could find the measurements and they emailed me back with a response.

Is anyone able to tell me, based on those measurements, the carat size needed to fill the heart shaped center?

9E819A27-FBFE-4B94-902C-959BE1FECDB3.png Thanks everyone

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered putting a heart shaped diamond in there?
It seems (dare I say)...fitting. :)

Oh wow- I just assumed she meant to put a heart shaped diamond in there. Regardless of what shape- you need to go by mm size not carat weight as diamonds can face up quite differently. But you are basically talking about 5mm to fill the space. How are you planning on attaching the diamond to the opening and that might determine what size you need?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider having a small diamond set somewhere on the metal, and leave the heart open as is. It would be more simple, but a different look.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
As I mentioned earlier you will need to look at the actual dimensions of diamonds as they will vary to make sure it will fit in the space. Do you want to fill the space? Make it larger than the space? Or smaller? A rough estimate is to start at around 1/3 ct (which will generally be somewhere in the 4.4mm range) to maybe .45ct. But hearts are cut in all different shapes, so you'll need to look for a heart diamond that has a similar shape to your cut out. To get an idea- go to the James Allen website, click on diamonds, click on the heart shape, try ct size of .35-.45, etc and see what pops up. That should give you a starting point. Your space is 5mm by 5mm according to what they said

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you plan on adding prongs to hold the diamond in the cut out?

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I decided as much as I'd like to, it's much too complicated to add diamonds to this charm. Thanks everyone for your input :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I decided as much as I'd like to, it's much too complicated to add diamonds to this charm. Thanks everyone for your input :)

Oh it was such a great idea

Sleep on it

if we know the dimensions of the cut out maybe we can help you find a diamond
do you have a budget ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results