shape
carat
color
clarity

what can you experts say about this pic? stud or dud?

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Hi pricescope! I need help.

I am thinking of getting this for my gf's engagement ring, which will be set in a solitaire platinum setting.

Does anyone see anything in this magnification they would be worried about?

I've blown it up a bit, in case that helps:

THANK YOU!!

_37.jpg

diabig.jpg

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
In terms of inclusions, no, but if you're asking about light performance (bling factor), it's not possible to tell from that picture. An ASET is a type of image that measures light reflection in a diamond. Any chance you could get one of those? Is this a diamond that you can or have seen in person?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kind of an odd shape, no?
is it just my eyes?

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
its not your eyes. its the forceps they used to take the pic. don't worry about the shape - this is a gia certed stone. i'm more concerned with light return/performance. i know its not a lot to go on and i want to wait for more responses before i point out what in particular i'm curious about.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't tell a thing about light performance without the ASET. The stone looks decently symmetrical which is good.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Ichinichi,
If you're looking for a stone that does well on reflector tests- which indicate light performance as it's discussed here, generally it's not going to be a traditional style Radiant cut.

I am a big fan of having folks see stones for themselves.
Trying to judge a radiant cut in particular based on ASET is far less intuitive than either looking firsthand- or even multiple photos or video.

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, gals and guys.

My only problem is that I haven't had ASET nor have I handled it. Should I just buy it to handle in person and rely on my return window or have it brought in for an ASET for assessment?

I could have it brought in, but the saleslady at WF I spoke with already tried very hard to talk me out of it - effectively refusing to bring it in for me! Can they even do that? I no longer feel like I can trust WF for their honest assessment given the extreme prejudice expressed by the saleslady. However, the ASET is the ASET - and they cannot bias that.

Does anyone have someone they can trust at WF to refer me? Someone higher up perhaps?

Thanks!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1340757464|3224124 said:
Hi Ichinichi,
If you're looking for a stone that does well on reflector tests- which indicate light performance as it's discussed here, generally it's not going to be a traditional style Radiant cut.

Trying to judge a radiant cut in particular based on ASET is far less intuitive than either looking firsthand- or even multiple photos or video.

Agree - most non-branded "traditional" radiants aren't designed for top performance as judged by tools like the ASET - they're designed to shine in a different way, one that these sorts of tools don't value or measure or grade. Having seen a fabulous specimen of this sort IRL I can honestly say that the nice ones are really beautiful in their own way. The one I saw was like looking into a tub of glitter (yes, I know, broken record!) - all glisten and edge-edge sparkle, no discernible patterning. Very different from the sharper on/off of a princess, or clear faceting in something like square H&A.

Have you seen this stone IRL? What did you think?

ETA: just saw your last post - why does your WF rep think it was not a good one to bring in? There may be other issues - overly thin girdle, not eyeclean, not up to the rest of your specs requirements... Honestly though, I love WF but this is not the *type* of stone they excel in. I would recommend you contact David at DBL in NYC (RockDiamond).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask where you got the magnified images? Are you working with a local vendor or with WF exclusively? If this is a stone that you found on a virtual list then you can ask another vendor to call the stone in for you.

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1340760901|3224151 said:
Rockdiamond|1340757464|3224124 said:
Hi Ichinichi,

Agree - most non-branded "traditional" radiants aren't designed for top performance as judged by tools like the ASET - they're designed to shine in a different way, one that these sorts of tools don't value or measure or grade. Having seen a fabulous specimen of this sort IRL I can honestly say that the nice ones are really beautiful in their own way. The one I saw was like looking into a tub of glitter (yes, I know, broken record!) - all glisten and edge-edge sparkle, no discernible patterning. Very different from the sharper on/off of a princess, or clear faceting in something like square H&A.

Have you seen this stone IRL? What did you think?

ETA: just saw your last post - why does your WF rep think it was not a good one to bring in? There may be other issues - overly thin girdle, not eyeclean, not up to the rest of your specs requirements... Honestly though, I love WF but this is not the *type* of stone they excel in. I would recommend you contact David at DBL in NYC (RockDiamond).

How do I contact David? I cannot seem to figure out how to PM. THANK YOU GUYS! Esp for the info re ASET and radiants and WF wrt fancies.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a radiant I qwould suggest DBL or Good Old Gold, myself.

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1340813021|3224420 said:
For a radiant I qwould suggest DBL or Good Old Gold, myself.

emailed DBL last night. haven't heard back yet. :(

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry- I got in a bit late today- reply has been sent

Ichinichi

Rough_Rock
Spoke with David. Thanks for the rec Yssie. I'm having it brought in for assessment.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ichinichi|1340878647|3225034 said:
Spoke with David. Thanks for the rec Yssie. I'm having it brought in for assessment.

NP ::)

He showed me the radiant I was talking about, and DBL made me a really beautiful setting earlier this year, so you're in good hands (you were w/ WF too but this is the sort of thing I would trust David's eyes in particular with)

Let us know how it goes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results