shape
carat
color
clarity

What can I get away with?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
So I need some advice/opinions from the people on here that know more than I do! I''m in the market for a wedding band and I want to know what I can get away with. What I want is a 1ctw. 5 stone, channel setting.
Her E-ring is a D color VVS1, ideal cut/polish/sym. no flour. 0.77rb. What is going to look too yellow next to that stone? Do they need to be D-E or can I go down a little more than that on the color? I realize that for .2ct stones that the clarity doesn''t need to be "great" but I''d want at least a VS2, VS1. Also how will it look next to the E-ring. I don''t want it to overshadow it. Ideally I''d like it to look like they were picked out as if they were a set, even though at the time I bought her ring the actual wedding plans weren''t even in my mind yet.
So let me know what you guys think. Or what you would do if you were in my shoes. Money really isn''t an issue, but she''s a simple girl. I couldn''t even convince her to go bigger on her E-ring even though I was well under the buget I had planned for. So for, lets say $2500 what would you do? Oh yeah, it needs to be Plat.

gracie007

Rough_Rock
i don''t know much about this, but i know it drives me crazy when i get no response :)---i had a jeweler tell me that my pave diamonds in the e-ring should be the same color grading as the center stone...so say I had an H colored center stone, the ones in the band should be H too...again, I don'' t know..just repeating what I was told...this might be different since I was asking about 1 ring- and you are talking about the wedding band compared to the e-ring....Great luck, I am sure it will turn out great and others will give better advice :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the D color diamond is set in white gold or platinum, then you better use nothing less than F color on the small stones, especially if she is prone to examine it closely. VS1 or VS2 will be just fine for looks.

If the main diamond has a yellow gold shank, then you might get away with G/H color smaller diamonds, if they are also to be set in yellow metal. It will mask their actual body color anyway.

I''d suggest that rather then take a chance, try to stick with F color.

I hope this helps you.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

My ering is a D as well and my wedding band is an eternity ring. The 3 pointers are G color and I don''t see a noticeable color difference. I think you can go as low as G, ideal cuts.

Also, I want to point out that a band of 5 .20cts may overpower her .77ct. Just make sure your fiance tries both rings on to make sure she likes the look. For me, I think my 3 points go perfectly with my .81ct ering.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Her E-ring is plat. She has reactions to gold, kind of makes her fingers and earlobes swell. So if it''s got to be F or better to not look yellow thats what I''ll go with. But how about the cut? If it''s going to be in a channel setting how important is it to get an ideal cut? Can I go down a grade there or should I stick with the ideal cut?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 4:18:53 PM
Author: klavigne
Her E-ring is plat. She has reactions to gold, kind of makes her fingers and earlobes swell. So if it''s got to be F or better to not look yellow thats what I''ll go with. But how about the cut? If it''s going to be in a channel setting how important is it to get an ideal cut? Can I go down a grade there or should I stick with the ideal cut?
Stick with ideal!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''d stick with ideal cuts too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results