shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your phobias?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Ur god is telling u something hahaha im sure u meant dog :) or did u mean god? Haha cracked me up

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1335207399|3178615 said:
THE DENTIST. HORRRRRRRRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGG...I can't even think about it. AND! I recently had half my tooth chip and I refuse to go unless I can be put under (I'm told I'll need a root canal or have the tooth pulled...my palms are sweating.)

I have one word for you.

Valium.

These drugs get a bad rap, since they can be abused and addictive.
There IS an appropriate use for such drugs.
Getting good dental care is very important and if a pill gets you through it . . . :appl:

Screen shot 2012-04-23 at 2.15.08 PM.png

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1335214814|3178728 said:
Ur god is telling u something hahaha im sure u meant dog :) or did u mean god? Haha cracked me up

hahhahahahahahahahaha...I meant dog! :lol: :oops:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1335216016|3178750 said:
THE DENTIST. HORRRRRRRRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGG...I can't even think about it. AND! I recently had half my tooth chip and I refuse to go unless I can be put under (I'm told I'll need a root canal or have the tooth pulled...my palms are sweating.)

I have one word for you.

Valium.

My friends have suggested that but I really don't think it will help me! My body has no reaction to some drugs so I'd wanna try it first - lol.

My friend just had a root canal and she said he numbed her up but she felt so much pressure and the noise was awfu;. omgggggggggggggggggggggg OMG. THE NOISE!!!!! GAH!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Glass floors. I don't care how thick and strong they are, but I'm terrified of falling through. I would last a minute in one of those' luxurious'

Caribbean/ Polynesian huts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1335216223|3178753 said:

I have one word for you.

Valium.

My friends have suggested that but I really don't think it will help me! My body has no reaction to some drugs so I'd wanna try it first - lol.

My friend just had a root canal and she said he numbed her up but she felt so much pressure and the noise was awfu;. omgggggggggggggggggggggg OMG. THE NOISE!!!!! GAH!!

Yes, my dentist told me to try it first a week prior to my appointment to find how MY body reacts to Valium.
He said don't drive and start wtih a 5 mg dose.
If you feel nothing try 10 mg a couple days later since this drug can remain in your systems a couple days, again don't drive or operate dangeous machinery.

I have an irrational fear of dental work (the drill) even though I have seen the same wonderful, gentle, kind, and expert dentist for 30 years now.
I think when I was a little kid a dentist must have hit a nerve so even though I floss daily and get semi annual cleanings and get all filling/crowns attended to promptly I still have enormous anxiety when the drill is going.
My neck and shoulders must really tense up becuase I wake up for days sore there.

Finally last year and wised up and told my dentist that since he doesnt' use Nitrous Oxide I insist on something like Valium or Xanax to lower anxiety.
It has been a blessing.

I never use it or any drug recreationally - well except Merlot. :lol:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, I am okay with a few dogs that I 'know' - one was a Pointer, the other was a Doberman (crazy I know - I didn't totally trust him, but he took a massive liking to me and used to lean on me at any available opportunity... they are quite heavy!)

I do like Greyhounds (the normal size ones not the little Italian ones which seem potentially snappy to me), but somehow they're not very dog like - I was thinking of adopting one and then met my husband and adopted him instead!

I'm sure much of it is very irrational. Terriers are one of the ones that will really freak me out especially those white ones. I'm also not fond of the Rottweiler or Alsation-type dogs.

Fortunately none of our extended family own dogs and my husband is so allergic to them that we can't actually visit anyone who does have one (he can get wheezy and start swelling up just sitting next to someone who owns a dog and has hair/dander on their clothes.

I do own two pythons, and DH had a tarantula as a child. His brother had a huge menagerie... he's one of the leading authorities in the UK on poison dart frogs, and owned amongst other things a large number of snakes, a crocodile, 4 barn owls and other assorted reptiles. My MIL was long-suffering: I believe she found the crocodile in the bath one day (they were building some new enclosure at the facility and so BIL brought him home!

My pythons are Royals and are the breed that is most commonly used for people with phobias as they are calm, not overly fast moving and extremely tame and placid (otherwise known as 'not very bright'). A friend of mine had terrible snake phobia - couldn't even look at a photo and over a year he started coming to see one of my snakes once a week, at the beginning he stayed at the other side of the room from the tank but at the end of 12 months I took a photograph of him sitting with a cup of coffee and the python round his neck.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Very afraid of the dark. Me being afraid of the dark leads to a fear of the 'unknown' too.

Auttum November--I wish I could introduce you to my dentist--he is so gentle--you wouldn't feel a thing and he would give you some valium if you still felt anxious. I also used to HATE going to the dentist, but he has cured me. There is PAIN FREE DENTISTRY out there.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
atp223|1335121178|3177858 said:
Vomit! I have hard core emetaphobia (sp?). I get that no one loooves it, but I have full-fledged panic attacks if I am anywhere in the proximity of someone throwing up (even if we are in different rooms within the same house). It's very odd. We think my mom's pregnancy with my sister (when I was 3) did me in...

I share this phobia! Until I was pregnant with my son (who is now almost 4) I hadn't thrown up for at least 15 years. I did once pregnant with him and a few times when pregnant with my daugther when the family got gastroentroitis. It was HORRIBLE! My fear hasn't subsided since having kids at all. Even knowing someone has been puking in like the last 5 days makes me feel sick just to be around them. Ugh. Yuck yuck yuck yuck!

I have other fears as well; heights being the next main fear, calf cramps, and fainting are also on the list.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have one word for you.

Valium.

I have an RX for valium and will tell you that even as a person who takes it regularily, I would NOT take it UNLESS I had a person to drive me home. I take it for sleep and 10 mg knocks me out for an entire night! If you don't normally take it, even 5 mg would require you to have a ride home. It wouldn't be safe to drive on it! But, it will work for the anxiety.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1335230854|3178976 said:
I have an RX for valium and will tell you that even as a person who takes it regularily, I would NOT take it UNLESS I had a person to drive me home.

I totally agree.
Get a driver.
I said this in my second post regarding Valium, but I should have said it in my first.

Thanks for the reminder MC.
You may have saved a life.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I have the front teeth phobia as well but mine is probably related to a scary root canal on my front tooth when I was young. The anesthesia didn't work and the dentist told me not to shut my mouth or the flame would go through my lip. Recently, I found out that my root canal failed and had the procedure redone. Thankfully, a lot has changed in 20 years and they gave me a lot of nitrous. I still cried out of fear but I made it okay:) Unfortunately, my second root canal failed so they will need to remove my front tooth and have an implant placed. I will need a lot more than laughing gas to get through that. I may even pay to go completely under. I'm going to put it off as long as possible.

I also have a fear of heights and a fear of dying in a horrible car accident.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

I have one word for you.

Valium.

AN, I have a phobia of the dentist, too! I'm terrified. I had to have some work done last year (including a root canal). I actually got a ton of support here on PS. A created a thread about dental anxiety and a lot of people commented with their similar phobias and also just experiences at the dentist. I remember it helping a ton!

I also was given Valium before the procedure. DH drove me and I kept telling him the Valium wasn't working on the way there. And then all of a sudden I started seeing things! There was a guy walking on the sidewalk as we drove by, and I was like "holy !*$&, THERE'S A BEAR!" So I guess something was working. I also had nitrous during the procedure. I knew what was going on, but I didn't really feel anything during the procedure, and what felt like about 15 minutes to me was actually like 3 hours. So they don't lie when they tell you it makes the time pass more quickly to you.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
My biggest phobia is of rodents. I. am. terrified. Rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, whatever. I hate them. I hate opossums, ferrets, and even rabbits are kind of iffy. I can't go near the small pet area of Pet Smart. When I go in there to buy cat food, I have to make a big loop to avoid that section.

For some reason, when I'm using a public restroom, I'm also scared that one will run across my feet. I don't know where that came from. My cats are indoor kitties, which is good, because if they ever killed something and presented it to me, I'd probably die right on the spot.

I don't know if it's a phobia, but I also am afraid of someone breaking into the house while I'm sleeping. I've banned myself from the crime shows, because they make me too scared and paranoid. I really like Criminal Minds, but I can't watch it. Haven't watched it in a couple years and some of those episodes STILL freak me out!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DivaDiamond007|1335230533|3178969 said:
atp223|1335121178|3177858 said:
Vomit! I have hard core emetaphobia (sp?). I get that no one loooves it, but I have full-fledged panic attacks if I am anywhere in the proximity of someone throwing up (even if we are in different rooms within the same house). It's very odd. We think my mom's pregnancy with my sister (when I was 3) did me in...

I share this phobia! Until I was pregnant with my son (who is now almost 4) I hadn't thrown up for at least 15 years. I did once pregnant with him and a few times when pregnant with my daugther when the family got gastroentroitis. It was HORRIBLE! My fear hasn't subsided since having kids at all. Even knowing someone has been puking in like the last 5 days makes me feel sick just to be around them. Ugh. Yuck yuck yuck yuck!

I have other fears as well; heights being the next main fear, calf cramps, and fainting are also on the list.

I didn't throw up for like 12 years until I turned 21. I think we all knew what made me throw up on my 21st birthday. Still gives me the willies thinking about it and I haven't thrown up since...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1335216843|3178764 said:

I have one word for you.

Valium.

Yes, my dentist told me to try it first a week prior to my appointment to find how MY body reacts to Valium.
If you feel nothing try 10 mg a couple days later since this drug can remain in your systems a couple days, again don't drive or operate dangeous machinery.

I have an irrational fear of dental work (the drill) even though I have seen the same wonderful, gentle, kind, and expert dentist for 30 years now.
I think when I was a little kid a dentist must have hit a nerve so even though I floss daily and get semi annual cleanings and get all filling/crowns attended to promptly I still have enormous anxiety when the drill is going.
My neck and shoulders must really tense up becuase I wake up for days sore there.

Finally last year and wised up and told my dentist that since he doesnt' use Nitrous Oxide I insist on something like Valium or Xanax to lower anxiety.
It has been a blessing.

Great advice, thank you Kenny!
Do I ask for the valium from my regular doctor or from the dentist?
My fear comes from the same place yours does. As I kid I had dental work done and my gosh, the dentist caused me a lot of pain and didn't seem to care.
The filling of the tooth that broke was coming apart so I'm thinking thats why it chipped.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1335238032|3179106 said:

I have one word for you.

Valium.

AN, I have a phobia of the dentist, too! I'm terrified. I had to have some work done last year (including a root canal). I actually got a ton of support here on PS. A created a thread about dental anxiety and a lot of people commented with their similar phobias and also just experiences at the dentist. I remember it helping a ton!

I also was given Valium before the procedure. DH drove me and I kept telling him the Valium wasn't working on the way there. And then all of a sudden I started seeing things! There was a guy walking on the sidewalk as we drove by, and I was like "holy !*$&, THERE'S A BEAR!" So I guess something was working. I also had nitrous during the procedure. I knew what was going on, but I didn't really feel anything during the procedure, and what felt like about 15 minutes to me was actually like 3 hours. So they don't lie when they tell you it makes the time pass more quickly to you.

I think I may have to find your thread after this! I know I *need* to go but I just keep pushing it back every time I go to pick up the phone. The valium sounds fun, haha! :) I will definitely have someone drive me if I go that route and I'm going to find a doctor that uses nitrous.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
MC - no driving for me!

Amber - I wish we lived in the same area. I wonder if I can find google reviews of some dentists in my area...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1335287061|3179488 said:
kenny|1335216843|3178764 said:

I have one word for you.

Valium.

It has been a blessing.

Great advice, thank you Kenny!
Do I ask for the valium from my regular doctor or from the dentist?
My fear comes from the same place yours does. As I kid I had dental work done and my gosh, the dentist caused me a lot of pain and didn't seem to care.
The filling of the tooth that broke was coming apart so I'm thinking thats why it chipped.

You can ask your dentist, but I would call first and talk to him/her. They're all different. I was totally shocked when my son needed fillings and the dentist offered to write up an RX so he could have a xanax! A little kid! Of course I said no.

A regular physician can give you an RX. Just be sure to specify why you need one and they'll write you out a prescription. It's a controlled substance and most doctors don't like to prescribe it b/c it's addictive, so asking for just one or two is fine! Also, you don't need to take a whole one. If you've never taken it and you're given a 10 mg tablet, taking 1/4 of it will relax you but won't make you fall asleep. Brain chemistry (as you know) is different for everyone so it's better to take less to be on the safe side. Even though I take it for sleep, I never built up a tolerance, so even now, 1/4 would calm me fine. ETA - you can get them in a small of amounts as 2 mg. Maybe ask for those instead and get five of them and test one out on a day you're at home.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I have an irrational fear of balloons, specifically balloons popping. I get nervous when they are around lights or when someone is grabbing them or trying to bend them. Don't get me started on balloon animals! I can't help but cover my ears, and I have to resist getting up and running away. Too many bad experiences with party games as a child or something I guess.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had a needle phobia. It was so severe that I ended up in a position where I had to choose between a blood test and the risk of potentially fatal illness. I chose the risk, and did not have the blood test. I was lucky, very lucky indeed, but fully expected to die at that moment when I made the decision. If the blood test had confirmed the diagnosis (ectopic pregnancy) I'd have needed emergency surgery, so more needles - no point, no way I could have consented.

So, I think that's about as extreme as a phobia gets. I had a course of cognitive behavioural therapy and I can now take blood from my own arm. I can't quite let anyone else do it, but I can do it myself,and I can place a cannula in my hand so that I could have surgery now if I needed it. I count that as a success and heartily recommend CBT.

I still don't like spiders, though

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1335028296|3177192 said:
Me too. I don't like how they are kind of hairy.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm afraid of being burried alive in a small tight space. There are small earthquakes all the time in Southern California, andI always picture myself being trapped on my toilet (which is separate from the rest of the bathroom), with the ceiling crashing down around me, and rescues teams would find me dead with my panties down.

That is why I try to spend as little time on the loo as possible. I have the same fear when I'm in a stall at work.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was only when I was washing my hands for the hundredth time today that I remembered I have a germ phobia. Its such a long term part of my life I didn't even think to put it here. I hate touching peoples hands, door handles, elevator buttons, those little pen thingys when you sign for a package on the display pad, my dog's lead, picking up dog poo (ugh! but I do it!) meat packages in the supermarket....the list goes on.

If I don't wash my hands often enough I get a really scary feeling that my hands are getting bigger and bigger. It stops when I wash them, but I have to wash them in a certain way or it won't work.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have a few

Spiders. Enough said. Too many legs to be trusted

Dark. Because I cant see. Who knows what could be inches from my face!!!!

Dark colored bathroom fixtures. As in black or dark blue or green toilets, sinks or tubs. Gives me the creeps. I cant use them.

Empty swimming pools, especially the deep end. Gives me goosebumps to have to be near one.

My biggest one is the fear that my brakes wont work while I am driving. I have nightmares about it. Most people have the falling dream that wakes them in the middle of the night. Mine is that the brakes wont work. I even recently had a dream that I died and had some time left with my loved ones before I "went". I spent almost the entire time finding out how I died and sure enough my brakes didnt work and I crashed.

omc111

Rough_Rock
Frogs--jumping out of the toilet at me; hopping down the hall after me; clinging to the sliding glass doors of my house so I can't get out! ugh, I hate them...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I just started my own thread on this without realizing there was one going.
I have two fears that are probably on the weird side- garbage disposals and train tracks. I absolutely cannot stick my hand down a garbage disposal. I mean what if it turns on spontaneously? You just never know. When I lived alone I would have to do it on occasion, and it really bothered me.

And train tracks...they just freak me out. Maybe from watching Fried Green Tomatoes or Stand By Me as a kid? What if a train just appears and runs me over? Ugh. My last half marathon had about a 3 mile stretch right next to the train tracks. Definitely had to work on focusing on ANYTHING else during that time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results