shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the Best Green Gemstones for Everyday Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Please show me the hardiest green gemstones for those of us who are rough on our rings.....please and thank you!
36.gif

Lori

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
There aren''t really many...

There is Chrysoberyl which is relatively hard and is a greeny yellow colour (they don''t come in emeraldy green colours) and green sapphire - but again that isn''t a brilliant green on the whole but tends to have a fair bit of grey or brown and look a tad murky.

I have a tsavorite garnet as my e-ring which I do wear most days - but only if I''m leaving the house. I''m super-careful with it and it comes off and in it''s box as soon as I walk in the door. They''re 7.5 on the Mohs, so fairly hard, but mine has chipped in the past and a friend of mine also chipped hers before I told her it was NOT a 24/7 type stone.

Chrome Diopside, Emerald etc are all not suitable for 24/7 wear

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Pandora. Green is my favorite color, so I spent a lot of time looking into this! Really great green sapphires seem to be extremely difficult to find. Here are a couple from pala.

http://palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=13136
http://palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=11659

Aside from finding the needle in the haystack sapphire, I am with Pandora that tsavorite is your best best. Though still, it is not a stone you can be hard on.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Green amethyst/green quartz/prasiolite/whateveryouwannacallit is a 7 on the Mohs scale and pretty inexpensive (I think).

I'm not at all well-versed in this, so just throwing it out there...green spinel?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Green tourmaline is just as hard as tsavorite, but as mentioned, that''s not exactly enough for 24/7 wear. Besides green diamond (color-treated ones are not that expensive), sapphire and chrysoberyl I think others are really not everyday stones, except maybe those super inexpensive coated topazes or prasiolites that you can probably afford to replace quite often.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if money is not an object, a natural colored GIA certed fancy green diamond!! However, anything about ten points will be costly. You can get irradiated green diamonds for decent, mortal, pricing, which is another nice option if treatments do not bother you. Green sapphires are available as well, but they tend to have a not so pleasant green coloration.

Peridot is definitely not an everyday wear green stone.

mugumbris

Rough_Rock
Light Apple green sapphire but can vary from yellow green,lime green to emerald green from Australia especially Queensland stone.Sorry for the fuzzy photo but the light coming off the stone is so bright its hard to get a good shot.Sapphire is the most durable for daily wear in faceted gems.

2009-07-10-70981.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 10:28:40 AM
Author: mugumbris
Light Apple green sapphire but can vary from yellow green,lime green to emerald green from Australia especially Queensland stone.Sorry for the fuzzy photo but the light coming off the stone is so bright its hard to get a good shot.Sapphire is the most durable for daily wear in faceted gems.
That''s a minty green to my eye - one of the nicer shades of green sapphire I have seen, and I do agree that green sapphire would be the best for everyday wear.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree green sapphire would be a good choice. Have fun searching.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s aren''t really any great looking green stones for everyday wear. I don''t think I''ve seen a pure green spinel but green sapphires are out there; just not so nice ones though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 10:28:40 AM
Author: mugumbris
That''s one of the nicest few green sapphires I''ve seen that doesn''t look too muddy.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My friend has some nice green sapphire stones in her e-ring that her husband bought in India. They are pale, but a very nice mint shade of green. I have never seen any other ones other than the one just posted.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/12/2009 4:11:47 AM
Author:loriken214
Please show me the hardiest green gemstones for those of us who are rough on our rings.....please and thank you!
36.gif

Lori

Jadeite. But you probably weren''t thinking of cabochons.

Richard M.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU EVERYONE! I really appreciate the feedback!
36.gif

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rick,
I love jadeite too but they are extremely difficult to find in the US if I want something top quality (undyed with that clear translucency).
39.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a terrific green sapphire that is a "parti" sapphire from Australia (mined locally to me actually) and its an amazing teal/emerald colour. Totally unheated/untreated (yes promise pics soon!) so I recommend you look at some Australian sapphire sites such as Coolamon Sapphires. http://coolamonsapphires.com/index.html or Gem Hunters http://gemhunters.com.au/ if you want beautiful green sapphires. I gather they are hard enough for daily wear. Good luck!
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:33:15 PM
Author: HotPozzum
I have a terrific green sapphire that is a ''parti'' sapphire from Australia (mined locally to me actually) and its an amazing teal/emerald colour. Totally unheated/untreated (yes promise pics soon!) so I recommend you look at some Australian sapphire sites such as Coolamon Sapphires. http://coolamonsapphires.com/index.html or Gem Hunters http://gemhunters.com.au/ if you want beautiful green sapphires. I gather they are hard enough for daily wear. Good luck!
9.gif

Get busy on those photos, Hot! I''m very curious to see your sapphire.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/13/2009 8:17:39 AM
Author: Chrono
Rick,

I love jadeite too but they are extremely difficult to find in the US if I want something top quality (undyed with that clear translucency).
39.gif

Pala still has a few top green jadeites and I imagine there are others available elsewhere although I haven''t looked recently. Certainly the silly Burmese import ban is causing supply problems in the U.S. at the moment but that doesn''t change the fact that jadeite and nephrite are among the hardiest, toughest green ring stones available. Nephrite is even tougher than jadeite and it comes from a number of non-Burmese sources (Russia, Alaska, New Zealand, Wyoming USA).

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:17:39 AM
Author: Chrono
Rick,
39.gif
Ohhh, I would love to have jadeite!!
18.gif
But ditto Chrono, its extremely difficult to find top quality in internet!
8.gif

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Canadian nephrite is gorgeous. The Jade Mine have a lovely cabs available at very reasonable prices.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:33:15 PM
Author: HotPozzum
I have a terrific green sapphire that is a ''parti'' sapphire from Australia (mined locally to me actually) and its an amazing teal/emerald colour. Totally unheated/untreated (yes promise pics soon!) so I recommend you look at some Australian sapphire sites such as Coolamon Sapphires. http://coolamonsapphires.com/index.html or Gem Hunters http://gemhunters.com.au/ if you want beautiful green sapphires. I gather they are hard enough for daily wear. Good luck!
9.gif
Hi HP!
35.gif

I''m loving those "parti" sapphires.....can you PLEASE post photos of your pretty green one???? What is the size of your sapphire? THANK YOU!
36.gif

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results