shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some of the Differences in Quality in lower priced vs. Higher priced settings?

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
To start... I'm totally of the opinion that you get what you pay for.

Getting a couple of stones set into 3 prong martini earrings. Live in Canada and have got a few quotes to source the setting and set the stone. These range from $300 - $700 CAD for 14k white gold martini settings and $350 - 850 for platinum of the same design.

My question is, is the price difference legitimate? Should I stay clear of the lower cost jewellers (even if well reviewed?). I could care less about designed brand settings... just want something that is of acceptable quality.

Thanks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you seen the work of any of these vendors?

while I am familiar with the phrase "you get what you pay for," sometimes you are paying more yet not actually receiving value for that additional $$$

price often is related to:
-- cost of materials (i.e., weight of metal, choice of metal, solid or hollow metal work)
-- customer service policies (i.e., return/exchange policy, courteous and professional communications)
-- experienced and knowledgeable bench, sales reps
-- fine polish and finish work on all pieces

so vendors on the lower price range may produce decent-looking earrings, but perhaps the earring posts are actually too thick or too thin or don't fit securely in the earring backs ... maybe the finish-work is okay but not actually consistent edge-to-edge ... maybe the pieces feel too lightweight and flimsy because so little metal was used

if these vendors you are considering have bricks & mortar stores, go in and see/handle/inspect the lower-end martini earrings and the higher-end ... see if the individual earrings in the pair actually look well-matched ... if the metal is well-formed with nice finish throughout, including any connection points

if the vendors are online, make sure you are getting some specifics, the mm size of the earring posts, the type of earring back, the metal weight of the settings -- so you know you are comparing similar things -- you'd think the higher metal weight goods by the more experienced benches would be the most expensive, but sometimes trendy places get away with charging more even while they deliver barely satisfactory jewelry -- make sure you also understand how they handle CADs, i.e., is only one drawing is included, and each change is considered a new drawing and costs extra?

Good luck!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quality comes at a price for definite!

Substantial settings that can withstand a lot of wear and tear will cost more due to higher material cost.

Higher gold or precious metal content will increase the price.

Labour cost is another factor to consider - it has a base rate regardless of how intricate is the setting.

For me personally, I would opt for Rhodium-plated 14K White Gold for the better CSs, platinum if I can afford it; and Rhodium-plated Silver for the cheaper/synthetic CSs.

I may use synthetic stones like Moissanite with Silver to cut down the cost of the setting even further, as I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money on a low cost CS.

To date, I have not had a hand-forged item made.

DK :))

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
@marymm @dk168 thanks so much for your time in the replies.

I have this stones already and don't necessarily have a budget for the settings, but just was weary of going with a jeweller who was half the price of the guy down the road.

I've only quoted well reviewed brick and morter stores. In Canada we don't have the network of diamond wholesalers like BN, JA etc, so I bought the stones in the states (through JA for their exchange policy for Canadians) and want it set here.

Is there a size of pegs I should be looking for? I'm going to be buying the locking chrysmela backs so the cheaper butterfly backs are fine as they won't be used.

Is there questions aside from pegs/gold weight I should be asking?

The one store quoted me $350 for platinum (so around 250 USD) and that's tempting.. I just work about quality.

Thanks again.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the jewelers who gave you the quotes are not making the settings, but buying them from a supplier, maybe find out who they will be sourcing them from? That may help you better determine the quality.
As an example, I had a pair of my studs reset into these settings by Stuller. I found them online and took the link to a jeweler who could order them. I'm happy with them and I don't think they charged me more than $200. This was about 4 years ago.

So perhaps you could go about it that way?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the US stuller is exactly what you describe.
Good quality and serviceable at decent prices.
Shipping and duty would make them impractical.
I'm not sure if there is a comparable Canadian
supplier.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure where you are located, but Stuller does have some partner jewelers in the Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City areas

I also found this website

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price of the loupe you must buy to find something wrong with it. :mrgreen:

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure where you are located, but Stuller does have some partner jewelers in the Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City areas

I also found this website

Thanks! Ya I looked at stuller retailers around my area and there are a ton. Live just outside Toronto in the tri cities area... So no shortage or jewelers!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd keep in mind that a high price does not necessarily guarantee a better product than a lower-priced craftsman within the price ranges you listed in your opening post.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I personally do not care for plat for earrings as plat is heavier and I don’t want the extra weight affecting my lobes/the piercings stretching.
If you get out there and look at different settings you will quickly be able to determine what is more substantial. And you will then be able to compare like for like in terms of price and determine what is the best value for you. I am not familiar with the backings you said you are going to order but you might be fine with backings that come with a well-made, substantial mounting. Why incur further expense? Also, you don’t know if backings purchased elsewhere will work with the settings you buy. Additionally, some of the more complicated backings are not comfortable. Toronto is a very upscale area with sophisticated consumers. I am certain there are fine jewelers who offer quality products and bench work to mount the stones. These elements are always worth the price. Some food for thought.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I would go with a local jeweller with the best stone setter/bench if you’re getting Stuller stock settings and one who offers a complementary inspection at least once a year.

I got custom platinum wire studs made by Atelier Dacko in Toronto. I went with La Pousette posts and wear them with Chrysmela jumbo backs. I ordered the earring backs off Amazon.ca. I wear them with all of my earrings.

All of the jewellers I contacted were able to give me quotes without the La Pousette earring backs and I could order them later if I changed my mind.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
I would go with a local jeweller with the best stone setter/bench if you’re getting Stuller stock settings and one who offers a complementary inspection at least once a year.

I got custom platinum wire studs made by Atelier Dacko in Toronto. I went with La Pousette posts and wear them with Chrysmela jumbo backs. I ordered the earring backs off Amazon.ca. I wear them with all of my earrings.

All of the jewellers I contacted were able to give me quotes without the La Pousette earring backs and I could order them later if I changed my mind.

Thanks!

So with the Chrysmela backs, she would have to wear regular butterfly (or whatever back I chose) at the same time? I was under the impression that Chrysmela backs were the only thing required? The reviews seem really good for the security aspect of them.

I don't want to cheap out on the setting, but don't want to overpay for a 'name'.

chere

Shiny_Rock
Chrysmela backs are the only thing required.

I got La Pousette earring posts, the stick part of the stud. It has 2 grooves on the post and feels more secure than earrings with only 1 groove on the post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results