shape
carat
color
clarity

What alloy mix do designers/manufacturers use with their Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
There has been a lot of talk with respect to Platium and the alloy mixes. Who uses what. Is there anyway that maybe we can start a list of manufacturers/designers use what platium mixed with what alloy? I think this might be very insigtful since everyone wants to know

I know I have questions about all the big name designers and what they use as the "other" alloy. I have a Scott Kay ring and I would like to know what he uses for the alloy mix. Also, A Jaffe, Tacori, Ratini etc. etc. I would think they would use a "harder" alloy other than the 950/5 Ir. I know that Simon G uses PT900 which I assume is 10% Ir.

I would also like to know what WF, NiceIce, or whomever makes their own rings use.

Is there anyone that use Paladium White Gold?

Do you think this info would be worthwhile?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Ok well it seems I see that there are still questions being asked about Platinum and it''s alloy''s
2.gif

So, I will start from what I know.

Scott Kay, PLAT 950/5% Ru - this is what I''ve read elsewhere, not validated yet

Simon G. PT900. Not sure the alloy.

Firenze (picture in gallery): PT950/5% Ru

A Jaffe, PLAT 950, not sure the 5% alloy.

Anyone else?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
I''m bumping this up because I have some more information.

I talked with the V.P. of Manufacturing at A. Jaffe. Their Platinum is 950 Pt/Ir, however, they also offer 950 plat HTA or Heat Treated Alloy. He told me this is like the Patinum S mix and is very hard. I''m not sure where it lands in the Vicker hardness scale, but let you know when I find out.

For thos e of you who like White gold, he said their 18kt white gold mix is very white and they do rhodium plate it however it is still very white. They also, off 18kt Palladium white gold if you choose but he said is pretty soft.

Those are the updates, anyone know anything else please feel free to comment.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What PT alloy do the tension setters like Steven Kretchmer and GelinAbacci use?

Isn''t is a different alloy to hold the spring?
It may be very proprietary.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure Kenny. There have been so many questions and threads related to what is the best Pt alloy mix so I figured I would start this thread with what I have found out but doesn''t seem to get much response from others

BTW, Scott Kay is 950 Pt/Ru and Simon G is PT900/Ir

I''m sure most manufacturers can make rings with other alloys but I am listing their standard mix used.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
New one,

D''Vatche:. 95% Platinum and 5% Iridium

LoudNoises

Rough_Rock
I was actually thinking about this the other day..

33.gif
Does anyone know what White Flash uses?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2005 7:11:21 PM
Author: LoudNoises

33.gif

LoudNoises,
I believe since White Flash designs their own they will probably make their rings with whatever mix you specify if they can. As for what they use as their standard mix I don''t know but I believe whiteflash is a member of this board so they can tell you or post here.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2005 7:29:18 PM
Author: Jr22

33.gif

LoudNoises,
I believe since White Flash designs their own they will probably make their rings with whatever mix you specify if they can. As for what they use as their standard mix I don't know but I believe whiteflash is a member of this board so they can tell you or post here.
I asked this question a few days ago (my setting is being made by WF) and I was told by WF that they only use 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2005 8:02:38 PM
Author: radiantlover

33.gif

LoudNoises,

I believe since White Flash designs their own they will probably make their rings with whatever mix you specify if they can. As for what they use as their standard mix I don''t know but I believe whiteflash is a member of this board so they can tell you or post here.

I asked this question a few days ago (my setting is being made by WF) and I was told by WF that they only use 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium.

Not true - at least at the time my ring was made - it depended on the smith they were using.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2005 6:00:46 AM
Author: Bertrand

Date: 9/21/2005 8:02:38 PM
Author: radiantlover

33.gif

LoudNoises,

Not true - at least at the time my ring was made - it depended on the smith they were using.
Bertrand -well maybe you got your ring done a year ago...this is the response Bob from WF sent to me (I wanted them to use the same mix as Mark Morrell -90% plat and 10% iridium):

"Our custom platinum rings are made with 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium. We cannot switch alloys with each ring. A year ago we were using 90/10plat/irid and people were wanting ruthenium. The jeweler made the switch but has to stick with only one mix."

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I''m glad to see more responses. I know there are others our there that are interested in the different plat mixes.
So here is an updated compiled list so far.

Scott Kay: PLAT 950/5% Ruthenium
Simon G.: PT900/10% Iridium
Firenze: PLAT950/5% Ruthenium
A Jaffe: PLAT 950/5% Iridium OR PLAT950/5%HTA (Heat Treated Alloy) 180HV
D''Vatche: PLAT 950/5% Iridium
Mark Morrell: PT900/10% Iridium
White Flash: 2005 on: PLAT950/5% ruthenium
Prior to 2005: PT900/10%Iridium

If anyone know others please do tell. There are some of the "big" designers missing still, Tacori, Ritani, Coast, Facets, Jeff Cooper etc. etc.
Do you think some sort of dBase should be started?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Here is the latest I have and it is a little interesting since I ddin''t think many used cobalt much anymore

Verragio: PLAT 950/5% Cobalt

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info Perry.

Yeah, ssems like most use the Plat/Ru combination these days because it is harder than the 950 plat/Ir. From what I''ve read is that cobalt is actually said to be one of the best platinum mixes because it is hard and has the "whitest" look compared to the others but I believe that cobalt comes fromthe nickel family which many people can be allergic.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
A little correction on Scott Kay. Plat 950 95.2% Platinum 4.8% Ruthenium. I donht'' know why the percentages are what they are.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Yes, this is an old thread but I will continue to update when I get new information. I hope all of you find this stil useful
9.gif

Today I updated the list with Jeff Cooper designs

Scott Kay:
PLAT 95.2/4.8% Ruthenium
Simon G.: PT900/10% Iridium
Firenze: PLAT950/5% Ruthenium
A Jaffe: PLAT 950/5% Iridium OR PLAT950/5%HTA (Heat Treated Alloy) 180HV
D''Vatche: PLAT 950/5% Iridium
Mark Morrell: PT900/10% Iridium
White Flash:: PLAT950/5% Ruthenium Presently Prior to 2005: PT900/10%Iridium
Jeff Cooper: PLAT 95.2% Ru 4.8%

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 5:42:51 PM
Author: Pricescope
This thread might be helpful.
Thanks, I am trying to keep a list of what alloy designers use in their platinum ring because they never tell you unless asked and depending on the company, that could take a long time.
I started this because I found a lot use 5% Iridium and I didn''t want that mix because of it''s softness. I know there are a lot of people out their like me who want that kind of information so hopefully I can continue to get more info from manufacturers to continue to help the list grow.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results