shape
carat
color
clarity

What a funny looking ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Some posters here told me that Tiffany & Co was like Zales. So naturally, I decided to take a look at this wondrous store called Zales.

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3436342

What a funny looking ring! What a disaster of a ring, really. I've never seen a ring shaped like this!

What a horrid site. CHEAP, strange looking jewelry and expensive prices.
6.gif

Should I go to Kays or should I just skip it?
2.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yipes! Unless the inside of the band was created like that on purpose, I''d go somewhere else.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 10:29:43 PM
Author: platinumrock
Yipes! Unless the inside of the band was created like that on purpose, I'd go somewhere else.

I'm sure it was made to look like that. If you read the text it calls the inside "ribbed".

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 8:25:37 PM
Author:Imdanny
Some posters here told me that Tiffany & Co was like Zales.
Hyperbole?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I get it. They''re both in "malls."
20.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/25/2009 10:46:32 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date:
1/25/2009 10:29:43 PM

Yipes! Unless the inside of the band was created like that on purpose, I''d go somewhere else.

I''m sure it was made to look like that. If you read the text it calls the inside ''ribbed''.

neatfreak is right as always. The inside is ribbed to keep the ring clean! We all know how huge a problem it is to keep a plain wedding band clean; one with ribs would obviously be so much better! Then there is the added incentive of paying $20.00 a month for the ring. I am sure that everyone would like to have to make a monthly payment for his ring as well as his rent or mortgage. Why save up and pay cash when you can tie yoursef down for the rest of your life?

Deborah
34.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 7:31:52 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
1/25/2009 10:46:32 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date:
1/25/2009 10:29:43 PM
I''m sure it was made to look like that. If you read the text it calls the inside ''ribbed''.
neatfreak is right as always. The inside is ribbed to keep the ring clean! We all know how huge a problem it is to keep a plain wedding band clean; one with ribs would obviously be so much better! Then there is the added incentive of paying $20.00 a month for the ring. I am sure that everyone would like to have to make a monthly payment for his ring as well as his rent or mortgage. Why save up and pay cash when you can tie yoursef down for the rest of your life?

Deborah
34.gif
Some people get married in a hurry and can''t afford to buy a ring right out
shrug1.gif
I think Zales has worse things going for it that rings with ribbed interiors and payment plans!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/26/2009 1:26:25 PM
Author: musey

Some people get married in a hurry and can''t afford to buy a ring right out.

That would be my parents. They were students and they got married at a fundraising dinner where their witnesses had tracked down the minister who was supposed to perform the ceremony (my father sitting in the rumble seat in the rain). They had to borrow a ring for the ceremony, but the guests were kind enough to pass a hat to collect money so that my father could buy my mother a ring after that.

Deborah
34.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey I think that piece gives Paloma Picasso a run for the money!!
27.gif

Cheap and strange looking jewelry at expensive prices - check out PP at Tiffany!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s ribbed for her pleasure.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 7:38:47 PM

Date:
1/26/2009 1:26:25 PM

Some people get married in a hurry and can''t afford to buy a ring right out.

That would be my parents. They were students and they got married at a fundraising dinner where their witnesses had tracked down the minister who was supposed to perform the ceremony (my father sitting in the rumble seat in the rain). They had to borrow a ring for the ceremony, but the guests were kind enough to pass a hat to collect money so that my father could buy my mother a ring after that.

Deborah

34.gif

What a great story, Deborah! Did the minister forget he was supposed to be marrying them?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 7:17:42 PM
Author: vespergirl
ROFL! I was just WAITING for someone to say that!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/27/2009 9:10:54 PM
Author: glitterata

What a great story, Deborah! Did the minister forget he was supposed to be marrying them?
No. I heard the story many times, but I was never quite clear on the point of who had consulted the minister and when. I know that he was some liberal minister who was at a Democratic fundraiser of some sort and I know that his denomination was Dutch Reform. I have seen his name on my parents' marriage certificate; I think it is Verlynn Sprague. The reason for a delay was that my parents had decided not to get married after all.

They had taken out a marriage license in New York City, but then the local paper in my mother's hometown in Connecticut found out about it. Her father found out and forbid my mother to marry my father because he was Jewish. So my mother had just told my father that they couldn't get married...but then the witnesses came in from New Jersey and took them off to the minister's house. Apparently the housekeeper said that he was at a fundrasing dinner and told them where. I know it was raining and, that my father was in the rumble seat, and that he was wet. I would bet that the delay was because my mother had been crying. As she has told me, she was a very good Catholic girl and was not used to disobeying her parents.

After the fact, my parents agreed to keep their marriage secret for one year. (My father's mother was devastated when she eventually learned of it, too.) My father easily kept the secret. My mother said that, being a good Catholic girl and used to going to confession, she went home to Connecticut that night; walked in the door; and said, "I'm married". Her father said, "You broke my heart," and went out bowling.

It was 1941, but my grandfather refused to meet my father until after World War II, in which both my father and his brother served, had ended in 1946. He said that the hardest part was telling his mother that his her granddaughter had married a Jew. When he broke the dire news to her, however, she received it philospophically, saying, "Just thank God he's not Italian".

Too bad she wasn't around to meet my husband ;-). (Just kidding. I knew and loved my great-grandmother. Like my grandfather, she came to love my dad. She would have loved my husband, too. People just fear what they do not know!)

I didn't mean to tell such a saga!!!

Deborah
34.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 9:14:21 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

ROFL! I was just WAITING for someone to say that!
9.gif

LMAO.....wow.....
11.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t see what the big issue with this ring is
shrug1.gif
It''s just a plain band from the outside, and I''m sure the ribbing feels somewhat cool on the finger. There are a lot worse pieces out there to poke fun at, and it''s sort of beyond me why we''d need to criticize what may well belong to someone on this forum.

That goes for Paloma Picasso, too - it may not be your taste, but many of her pieces (the ones with hearts, especially) are quite popular on PS and in the real world.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 8:08:38 PM
I honestly don't see what the big issue with this ring is
shrug1.gif
It's just a plain band from the outside, and I'm sure the ribbing feels somewhat cool on the finger. There are a lot worse pieces out there to poke fun at, and it's sort of beyond me why we'd need to criticize what may well belong to someone on this forum.

That goes for Paloma Picasso, too - it may not be your taste, but many of her pieces (the ones with hearts, especially) are quite popular on PS and in the real world.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not into halos, bezels or superwhite diamonds. There, I've just offended thousands of people. Tourmaline_Lover is not too crazy about Paloma Picasso. She thinks there are better ways to spend her money. It's called a preference. Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean we have to like it.

For someone who claims there's no need to criticize others, isn't that what you're doing? But if that makes you feel better, feel free. I won't get offended. After all, it's just your opinion.
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Deborah, what a wonderful story! And so deliciously wryly told. I''m sorry your parents had a tough time reconciling their families to their marriage, but I really enjoyed reading about it.

As far as this ring goes, it looks kind of cool to me. I wonder if it really is more comfortable? I bet the ribs are invisible when it''s being worn.

I''ve never been the least bit offended if anyone dislikes my jewelry. I expect lots of you think lots of my stuff is hideous. If anyone ever feels like saying, "Wow, that''s ugly," I won''t be hurt. I know I have over-the-top taste in many ways. Everybody''s different, which makes the world more fun.

I don''t care for lots of stuff that other people here like. Princess diamonds set my teeth on edge, for example. So what? I''m not the one wearing them. Just don''t give me any, and if you show me yours proudly, I''ll probably say something like, "Congratulations on your engagement! Wow, how exciting, look at that ring sparkle! Your boyfriend did a great job finding a diamond that suits your hand--it looks like a beautifully cut princess!" instead of "I love that diamond--that''s my dream diamond."

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 9:42:53 PM
Deborah, what a wonderful story! And so deliciously wryly told. I''m sorry your parents had a tough time reconciling their families to their marriage, but I really enjoyed reading about it.

As far as this ring goes, it looks kind of cool to me. I wonder if it really is more comfortable? I bet the ribs are invisible when it''s being worn.

I''ve never been the least bit offended if anyone dislikes my jewelry. I expect lots of you think lots of my stuff is hideous. If anyone ever feels like saying, ''Wow, that''s ugly,'' I won''t be hurt. I know I have over-the-top taste in many ways. Everybody''s different, which makes the world more fun.

I don''t care for lots of stuff that other people here like. Princess diamonds set my teeth on edge, for example. So what? I''m not the one wearing them. Just don''t give me any, and if you show me yours proudly, I''ll probably say something like, ''Congratulations on your engagement! Wow, how exciting, look at that ring sparkle! Your boyfriend did a great job finding a diamond that suits your hand--it looks like a beautifully cut princess!'' instead of ''I love that diamond--that''s my dream diamond.''

Glitterata, I happen to think your vintage/antique collection is exquisite. But take that with a grain of salt. That is, after all, just my opinion.
2.gif
I also feel excited for other people when they share their jewelry. It may not always be what I''d pick out, but I do appreciate the variety of styles. Oh, and your reference to princess diamonds just reminded me that I''m not into squarish shapes either. In any gemstone. I prefer smooth, curvy rounds, ovals and pears. I think it''s just easier for my eyes. I don''t like anything angular.

ABGF, I forgot to tell you that I loved the story about your parents! Thank you for sharing it with us.
5.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG so innappropriate and yet so funny
3.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/28/2009 9:42:53 PM

Thank you, glitterata. Your interest is what drove me to tell the tale in the first place. It was kind of you to take notice :).

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/28/2009 10:24:37 PM

ABGF, I forgot to tell you that I loved the story about your parents! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I thank you, too, platinumrock.

Deborah
34.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 9:13:51 PM
I honestly don't see what the big issue with this ring is
shrug1.gif
It's just a plain band from the outside, and I'm sure the ribbing feels somewhat cool on the finger. There are a lot worse pieces out there to poke fun at, and it's sort of beyond me why we'd need to criticize what may well belong to someone on this forum.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not into halos, bezels or superwhite diamonds. There, I've just offended thousands of people. Tourmaline_Lover is not too crazy about Paloma Picasso. She thinks there are better ways to spend her money. It's called a preference. Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean we have to like it.

For someone who claims there's no need to criticize others, isn't that what you're doing? But if that makes you feel better, feel free. I won't get offended. After all, it's just your opinion.
2.gif
I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just saying I don't get what the point of criticizing a particular designer is (and saying so is not criticism - "disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings" - it is merely an observation). I didn't say anyone was being offensive or that they don't have a right to voice their opinions. Simply that I don't see the point (or in this case, what's so horrid about these particular pieces). It doesn't make me feel any better or worse (about what? than what? why would I feel a certain way based upon what I or others post on an anonymous forum on the internet?) for saying this, I just felt it was worth pointing out that stating what we don't like in such an overt way is not really all that productive a contribution.

I'm all for pointing out to consumers that they can get better quality elsewhere (and PSers, including myself, do so all the time), or criticizing the quality of a certain designer/vendor/store, but I'm just unsure what bashing a particular store or designer for nothing other than one's "personal taste" accomplishes (and if your reply is "because it's fun" then you've proved that point).

Hmm, what is it about January through March on PS? The boards seem to jump in the animosity level around that time every year.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not into halos, bezels or superwhite diamonds. There, I've just offended thousands of people.
Oh, and probably not - since most threads in jewelry pieces don't get more than 300 or 400 views, and max out around 50 posts... if that. If this thread were in SMTR or RT, there would be pages of responses about how "mean" people are being in this thread (because some peoples' feelings get hurt more easily than others'), whether that's accurate or not. It's in a relatively inactive forum so it's flying on the radar (hence my being the only one to bring this up).

Besides, saying you're "not into" something is not the same as calling what is, essentially, a plain band a "disaster of a ring."
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 2:14:13 AM
It''s in a relatively inactive forum so it''s flying on the radar (hence my being the only one to bring this up).
That should read "under the radar"... sheesh I hate night calls, it''s WAY too late. I''m sure I''ll come back at a more decent hour to realize that I''ve written utter jibberish.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 2:06:49 AM

I honestly don''t see what the big issue with this ring is
shrug1.gif
It''s just a plain band from the outside, and I''m sure the ribbing feels somewhat cool on the finger. There are a lot worse pieces out there to poke fun at, and it''s sort of beyond me why we''d need to criticize what may well belong to someone on this forum.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I''m not into halos, bezels or superwhite diamonds. There, I''ve just offended thousands of people. Tourmaline_Lover is not too crazy about Paloma Picasso. She thinks there are better ways to spend her money. It''s called a preference. Just because something is popular, it doesn''t mean we have to like it.

For someone who claims there''s no need to criticize others, isn''t that what you''re doing? But if that makes you feel better, feel free. I won''t get offended. After all, it''s just your opinion.
2.gif
I''m not criticizing anyone, I''m just saying I don''t get what the point of criticizing a particular designer is (and saying so is not criticism - ''disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings'' - it is merely an observation). I didn''t say anyone was being offensive or that they don''t have a right to voice their opinions. Simply that I don''t see the point (or in this case, what''s so horrid about these particular pieces). It doesn''t make me feel any better or worse (about what? than what? why would I feel a certain way based upon what I or others post on an anonymous forum on the internet?) for saying this, I just felt it was worth pointing out that stating what we don''t like in such an overt way is not really all that productive a contribution.

I''m all for pointing out to consumers that they can get better quality elsewhere (and PSers, including myself, do so all the time), or criticizing the quality of a certain designer/vendor/store, but I''m just unsure what bashing a particular store or designer for nothing other than one''s ''personal taste'' accomplishes (and if your reply is ''because it''s fun'' then you''ve proved that point).

Hmm, what is it about January through March on PS? The boards seem to jump in the animosity level around that time every year.

You don''t get the point of criticizing a particular designer or store (disapproval). You just pointed out how bashing a particular store or designer doesn''t accomplish anything (pointing out faults). And you just stated that if I reply with "because it''s fun", then I''ve just proved that I am bashing someone''s taste for no good reason (pointing out my shortcomings). If you don''t see that as being critical, then you need to read your post again.
2.gif

Now I am being critical of your being critical about other people being critical.

Can we just agree to disagree before we have to resort to a vent thread?
11.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good grief, they don't even MAKE eyeroll emoticons big enough for this
20.gif

I said that if you think that criticizing a particular designer just based on design itself (not quality of workmanship) is just 'fun' and that is the only reason you're doing it, then you've proved my point that the largest impact it could possibly have is to upset someone who loves that piece/designer. All that that statement is meant to do is to point out that insulting a particular design has more chance of pissing someone off than helping to educate consumers (which is, after all, the point of these boards). It's only my opinion (though, to be fair, such threads/posts have been quite promptly removed by mods in the past), not me touting others' posts as being bad/wrong/etc.

I've seen threads like this go by before, and when in more highly populated forums they've led to a LOT of upset and hurt feelings, so when I know that that can result from this sort of thread, why wouldn't I attempt to remind people of that?

I love that I'm just trying to help remind people to be kind and keep the general positive and helpful spirit of PS (revisit the posting etiquette guidelines, primarily #4), yet I'm getting attacked for it
20.gif
(and honestly, those who want to defend their right to be outwardly "mean" do deserve criticism over it.)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
ROTFL!

Hahaha!

And $20 a month. If that doesn''t beat all. Wow. Just wow. I don''t know what else to say.
9.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 9:04:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Hey I think that piece gives Paloma Picasso a run for the money!!
27.gif

Cheap and strange looking jewelry at expensive prices - check out PP at Tiffany!
Perhaps. But I would humbly ask you to look at (and I realize this stuff is out of the price range of myself and most people here- of course, that is the way of the world) their Statement Jewelry collection. There is nothing Zales-like about those pieces.

I'd also like point out (to whomever it may concern) that Tiffany & Co. lists the treatments which they use. At least, the last time I looked for that page, I found a detailed list of them.

As to the possibility that my thread/ posts might be out of turn, that is an issue which I leave entirely to the discretion of the able moderators of this site.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:32:47 AM

Date:
1/27/2009 9:10:54 PM

No. I heard the story many times, but I was never quite clear on the point of who had consulted the minister and when. I know that he was some liberal minister who was at a Democratic fundraiser of some sort and I know that his denomination was Dutch Reform. I have seen his name on my parents' marriage certificate; I think it is Verlynn Sprague. The reason for a delay was that my parents had decided not to get married after all.

They had taken out a marriage license in New York City, but then the local paper in my mother's hometown in Connecticut found out about it. Her father found out and forbid my mother to marry my father because he was Jewish. So my mother had just told my father that they couldn't get married...but then the witnesses came in from New Jersey and took them off to the minister's house. Apparently the housekeeper said that he was at a fundrasing dinner and told them where. I know it was raining and, that my father was in the rumble seat, and that he was wet. I would bet that the delay was because my mother had been crying. As she has told me, she was a very good Catholic girl and was not used to disobeying her parents.

After the fact, my parents agreed to keep their marriage secret for one year. (My father's mother was devastated when she eventually learned of it, too.) My father easily kept the secret. My mother said that, being a good Catholic girl and used to going to confession, she went home to Connecticut that night; walked in the door; and said, 'I'm married'. Her father said, 'You broke my heart,' and went out bowling.

It was 1941, but my grandfather refused to meet my father until after World War II, in which both my father and his brother served, had ended in 1946. He said that the hardest part was telling his mother that his her granddaughter had married a Jew. When he broke the dire news to her, however, she received it philospophically, saying, 'Just thank God he's not Italian'.

Too bad she wasn't around to meet my husband ;-). (Just kidding. I knew and loved my great-grandmother. Like my grandfather, she came to love my dad. She would have loved my husband, too. People just fear what they do not know!)

I didn't mean to tell such a saga!!!

Deborah

34.gif
I'm glad you did. You told it beautifully. Thank you.

My mother is Methodist and my father is Jewish, so I know a little bit about what it is like to be the child of families with different religious backgrounds. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results