shape
carat
color
clarity

What a difference a recut makes (1ctw diamond studs recut)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Re: What a difference a recut makes (1ctw diamond studs recu

Beautiful recut! And as everyone said....they really look bigger and so much brighter! I love this visual because dh just ordered my very first pair of BGD signature diamond studs in similar ctw, and I have smallish lobes like you! Can't wait to play show and tell in a couple weeks: :)

Sorry for the little tangent....so excited!

lostdiamondsad

Rough_Rock

Hi, Well they look amazing. Johnathan is great!! I went to their store to shop for a replacement diamond, after losing mine and was astounded at how beautiful a well cut stone can be. After my first visit there, I found my ring, which was great, but made me feel a little disappointed having seen ideal cuts and some bright looking stones. Mine is lovely, bought by my husband 15 years ago in NYC but he was somewhat clueless. It's a GIA I color, with a good cut, but not like an ideal. So after all my research, and after having to return the insurance money paid to me after I found my ring, I am thinking about having it recut (at GOG of course) and the only thing I am concerned with is the size loss. It's a 1.5 ct round- So I will have to see whether mine's a candidate for a recut and if it is, how much weight loss is involved. I am amazed there is such an option! So can you tell me if you know, how accurate are they able to be in predicting the weight loss? And did you feel the brightness made them look bigger. You were very lucky to have such little loss and you certainly can't tell by the pictures. Does the person in Antwerp do the cutting? Or does Johnathan do that? Any details would be greatly appreciated!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Your studs look beautiful after their recut. They look really big on your ears!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! They came out so well. Beautiful and sparkly!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats, I bet they will get lots of wear now too!!!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The re cut makes your studs look larger. Lovely!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

lostdiamondsad|1399222587|3666044 said:
Hi, Well they look amazing. Johnathan is great!! I went to their store to shop for a replacement diamond, after losing mine and was astounded at how beautiful a well cut stone can be. After my first visit there, I found my ring, which was great, but made me feel a little disappointed having seen ideal cuts and some bright looking stones. Mine is lovely, bought by my husband 15 years ago in NYC but he was somewhat clueless. It's a GIA I color, with a good cut, but not like an ideal. So after all my research, and after having to return the insurance money paid to me after I found my ring, I am thinking about having it recut (at GOG of course) and the only thing I am concerned with is the size loss. It's a 1.5 ct round- So I will have to see whether mine's a candidate for a recut and if it is, how much weight loss is involved. I am amazed there is such an option! So can you tell me if you know, how accurate are they able to be in predicting the weight loss? And did you feel the brightness made them look bigger. You were very lucky to have such little loss and you certainly can't tell by the pictures. Does the person in Antwerp do the cutting? Or does Johnathan do that? Any details would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi LostDiamonds: I think these questions would be better answered by Jonathan. He's great about replying and always very helpful. I do know that my earrings were sent to Antwerp but I don't know if he has an inhouse person to do larger stones.

Good luck on your recut. I can't wait to find out what happens with it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, what a big difference! Well worth the time spent. :appl:

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! I can definitely see the difference! What a great decision to have them re-cut, and you hardly lost any carat weight either. Nicely done!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Awesome! The difference is clearly visible in the earshot. In the "before" pic the center of the diamond looks dull, in the "after" pic it's all brilliant. Love it! Sentimental pieces are the best ::)

Oh man, just noticed that this thread is from a year ago :rodent: I'm sure they still look lovely on your ears though!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing!! What a difference. Your studs are so shiny and bright now. Congrats!

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Found it interesting that you went from 1 to .88, because I have read so many times about how diamond cutters try to get a full half carat out of a rough that really cannot go there, and that there are therefore a lot of suboptimal barely-half carat and barely-full carat diamonds out there. i think perhaps your diamonds were always "meant" to be .88, the size they are now.

I was curious about why there were so few diamonds "just under" a half carat -- and this is what I was told in response to my query.

I just received diamond studs from Brian Gavin that are .856 TCW. I have been making a little surreptitious study of all the earrings I see at the health club every day - some are quite large yet just do not have any presence or zing to them. My relatively little studs (I have small ear lobes too) are so bright and fiery by comparison.

Sorry for the digression -- enjoy your newly cut earrings -- you have finally permitted them to have their full potential and expression!

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade

This is so cool! They look so beautiful and I think around .8tcw is a perfect size for super sparkly studs. It's amazing that the cut could be improved so much with so little weight lost. I understand how emotionally significant some pieces are and I love that you were able to have the best of both worlds. Enjoy them!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sayde64|1399413000|3667467 said:
Found it interesting that you went from 1 to .88, because I have read so many times about how diamond cutters try to get a full half carat out of a rough that really cannot go there, and that there are therefore a lot of suboptimal barely-half carat and barely-full carat diamonds out there. i think perhaps your diamonds were always "meant" to be .88, the size they are now.

I was curious about why there were so few diamonds "just under" a half carat -- and this is what I was told in response to my query.

I just received diamond studs from Brian Gavin that are .856 TCW. I have been making a little surreptitious study of all the earrings I see at the health club every day - some are quite large yet just do not have any presence or zing to them. My relatively little studs (I have small ear lobes too) are so bright and fiery by comparison.

Sorry for the digression -- enjoy your newly cut earrings -- you have finally permitted them to have their full potential and expression!

I think it's sort of a "mind clean" thing too. In my head I think "man, .88 ct is so much smaller than 1 ct," but then I think ".44 is NOT that much smaller than .5" Weird how the brain works. I'm glad you love your .856 studs!

phale

Shiny_Rock

They look beautiful and elegant on your ears!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

They look lovely, so good now you will wear them because they are sparkly - better than sitting in the jewellery box :wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow, what an amazing difference!! I love the sparkle!! Nice job AW!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They really do look beautiful! Glad you took the leap of faith to pursue this - it really paid off!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lostdiamondsad|1399222587|3666044 said:

They can very accurately project the finished size because they use computer imaging to plan the recut. I had a 1 ct diamond recut to .80. I'd far rather have an ideal cut .80 than a good cut 1 ct. In fact, I would not have worn that diamond as it was. It was a family stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was a great decision athenaworth!... :love: :appl:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

big improvement!!!! They are mad gorgeous

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

What a difference! :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006|1399486450|3667969 said:
They can very accurately project the finished size because they use computer imaging to plan the recut. I had a 1 ct diamond recut to .80. I'd far rather have an ideal cut .80 than a good cut 1 ct. In fact, I would not have worn that diamond as it was. It was a family stone.

That's the same size I started and ended with when I got my N colored brown diamond recut by Brian Gavin. The difference it enough that I had to look closely to be sure he'd sent me the right stone back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results