shape
carat
color
clarity

WF Re-cut

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Charmy, swingirl, TC1987, AprilBaby, Pregcurious: The transformation is incredible, quite stunning actually--the was & now is a drastic improvement IMHO.

Thanks for checking in on the thread, it was an interesting transaction, & I LOVE my three stone setting! :cheeky: :wavey:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity aside, steep deeps with slightly bigger tables and good girdles (nothing too thin) are easiest for re-cut. The cutter will shallow out the crown and pavilion angles, and hardly touch the girdle so the diameter will pretty much stay the same, or close to it.

A shallow-shallow will require taking in the girdle to make the angles steeper, so the end diamond will have a smaller diameter.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1405189955|3712108 said:
Clarity aside, steep deeps with slightly bigger tables and good girdles (nothing too thin) are easiest for re-cut. The cutter will shallow out the crown and pavilion angles, and hardly touch the girdle so the diameter will pretty much stay the same, or close to it.

A shallow-shallow will require taking in the girdle to make the angles steeper, so the end diamond will have a smaller diameter.

Thank you Teobdl for your succinct explanation! Completely 'get it' now, although I'm sure it's a difficult thing to do & not as easy as it seems! ;))

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, and kudos to WF on a stunning recut. :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have missed it, but are there any pictures of before and after 'on the hand'? :)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
two_little_birds|1405195114|3712157 said:
Beautiful, and kudos to WF on a stunning recut. :appl:

Oh thank you TLB, your project will be interesting to follow!! I'll watch for your SMTB thread!! :wavey:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1405207268|3712216 said:
I may have missed it, but are there any pictures of before and after 'on the hand'? :)

OooShiny, that would've been a great idea, but I never thought to do that. I was absolutely convinced we were on the path to buying a new stone, so I never thought to take pictures! Now I wished I had.

I have pictures on my old ering with the uncut stone in it, but nothing that would give you a glimpse of what the stone looked like. When we originally bought it, we bought on color & clarity, not realizing just how critically important cut was!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP
I don't currently have a stone that I want recut but often see good sized OECs that don't appear to have the best cuts and I wondered if I purchased one if it could be given a better cut.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You would be better served by discussing this with someone who does recuts and can speak to your question specifically. Personally, I am not that person! :wavey: But I have read on this board, that reverse engineering a recut is not the best path--ie buying a stone with the intent to recut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results