shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to Jeweler row today.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I brought my blue tourmaline with me in case I saw a setting I fancied, and at one store, after I said it was a blue tourmaline, the guy didn't believe me. And then proceeded to weigh it and then whip out his refractometer (without asking if he could, he kind of just started moving around with it in TWEEZERS which nearly had me holding my breath, but he didn't drop it). And of course everything checked out ok, it was just so weird. I mean, what if it hadn't checked out, would he have told me it's a fake? That hardly seems the way to make a sale.

Anyways, I just thought it was funny that he didn't believe me and felt the compulsion to make sure I wasn't fibbing
3.gif
It's as if I was trying to sell him something instead of the other way around!

Has this ever happened to you? I wasn't really sure how to react to it. I mean, nobody selling jewelery ever tested my diamond to see if it was real
3.gif
Seems bad for business.

ETA: And no, still haven't set it yet..

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a weirdo MTG! I had someone test a friend''s CZ though, and he freaked out when he found out it was a CZ--he thought she was duped and believed it to be a diamond. That was an interesting experience.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 11:09:27 PM
Author: FrekeChild
What a weirdo MTG! I had someone test a friend''s CZ though, and he freaked out when he found out it was a CZ--he thought she was duped and believed it to be a diamond. That was an interesting experience.

Hahaha that must have been so awkward for him!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 11:03:23 PM
Author:MakingTheGrade
And I brought my blue tourmaline with me in case I saw a setting I fancied, and at one store, after I said it was a blue tourmaline, the guy didn''t believe me. And then proceeded to weigh it and then whip out his refractometer (without asking if he could, he kind of just started moving around with it in TWEEZERS which nearly had me holding my breath, but he didn''t drop it). And of course everything checked out ok, it was just so weird. I mean, what if it hadn''t checked out, would he have told me it''s a fake? That hardly seems the way to make a sale.

Anyways, I just thought it was funny that he didn''t believe me and felt the compulsion to make sure I wasn''t fibbing
3.gif
It''s as if I was trying to sell him something instead of the other way around!

Has this ever happened to you? I wasn''t really sure how to react to it. I mean, nobody selling jewelery ever tested my diamond to see if it was real
3.gif
Seems bad for business.

ETA: And no, still haven''t set it yet..
I think most jewelers just do not have any clue as to the range of colored gems there are out there. They are very closed minded, to them, this is what they know as far as colored gems are concerned: blue=sapphire, purple =amethyst, violet=tanzanite, green=emerald, red=ruby, light blue=aqua. Everything else is a coated topaz. LOL!!

My jeweler, even though they specialize in some more "exotic" colored gems, like tsavorite and some red spinel, always find it fascinating that I have a gem that they''ve never seen before. In fact, I often play "guess the gem" when I bring it in for setting. They thought my last violet/blue spinel was a tanzanite. When I said it was a spinel, the jeweler (who has been in the biz for 20 years mind you!!) thought only spinel comes in red. LOL!! It never ceases to amaze me how many do not know what other colored gems are truly out there. They didn''t even know what a demantoid was, and as for my various colored tourmalines, they just look confused.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was even funnier because he sold gems wholesale himself, and had in his parcel of tourmalines, ones that were various colors including blue, so he was obviously aware that they existed...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 11:21:26 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
It was even funnier because he sold gems wholesale himself, and had in his parcel of tourmalines, ones that were various colors including blue, so he was obviously aware that they existed...
Maybe they were those dark inky indicolites that look more typical of tourmaline. If you showed him one with a lighter tone and an open c-axis, with saturated blue color that didn''t go extinct, I could see the blank stare of disbelief. LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2010 11:21:26 PM
My guess is that he’s never seen a lighter coloured indicolite; most are typically darker toned, cut in a rectangular design with a closed c-axis.
9.gif

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well, look on the bright side - at least he knew tourmaline existed! I consider myself a novice, so it scares me a bit when I encounter established retail stores that know less than I do. Of course given the average customer...

A good friend of mine recently went to a fairly high end jeweler in our area recently to look at diamonds for an engagement ring. I'd given him the bare basics (I specialize in colored stones, and don't know a whole lot about diamonds) about color, clarity, cutting, etc. So....he was shocked when he asked about a ring in their display and was told it was an I3!

He asked about better diamonds, and they were startled to find out that he knew terms like VS and VS1 and what they meant. He got the impression it was a rare customer who asked about anything other than carat weight and price.

So, I guess count yourself lucky your jeweler didn't congratulate you on that lovely blue topaz you had
38.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
When a jeweler has a customer in the shop, he wants to make a sale. The first thing he needs to do is keep the customer in the shop. Expressing interest in the customer''s gemstone is a convenient topic. The customer is flattered and may reveal some useful information about potential purchases. The jeweler also welcomes any opportunity to demonstrate his expertise (though this can backfire in the case he has little).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally just sent it off to Michael to set in a semi bezel, haha. Figures. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 8:58:06 PM
I finally just sent it off to Michael to set in a semi bezel, haha. Figures. :)
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m hoping to do two tone if I can. Otherwise I still can''t decide yellow gold or white gold... I like that the yellow gold brings out a little green so that it doesn''t look like a blue topaz, but I don''t wear that much gold jewelery and the white gold makes it look very crisp and icey. Hmmmm...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Deep down inside, MTG..you have to think to yourself.. "you see mr. salesperson..i am not just another clueless buyer coming into your store" and snicker
1.gif
i am sure like 95% of all folks who buy gems have really no idea what they are doing..so it takes someone back when you pop in with a stone he has maybe only seen a couple times..especially in a color he may have never seen...sticking it to them..well done MTG
2.gif
LOL..think if you would have brought in one of your more exotic stones...LOLOL

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, another saleswoman said she thought my 2.7ct tanzanite pendant was an alexandrite.

BWAHA! Do I look like the sultan of a small country? Um no.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, maybe you ARE fabulously wealthy, heehee! Could happen, right!

I would have also been holding my breath and then I would have said quietly, "you drop that and damage it, prepare to answer for that."

Now, if a store staffer asked or indicated a desire to take the gem out of the box I would ask them why (I know what my gemstones are/aren''t) and how they are going to handle it. And if they don''t like that, its okay because I really don''t want an unknown person handling my gems.

I have learned here at PS not to hand over my gemstones unless I''m super sure of who is handling them. I was shocked at how many vendors at Tucson offered me tweezers when I got my loupes out to examined a stone. THEIR stone, not mine.

I have gem grippers for my own use, they are 100% certain. I''m a klutz and I know it.

MTG, who is "Michael" who sets in full and half bezels? Thank you for sharing!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry. Michael is Michael edgett who also posts here as michaelE. If you search his ps name you''ll find a lot of beautiful stones cut and set by him. He''s both a cutter and a jeweler and I can''t say enough nice things about working with him!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2010 10:02:15 PM
Haha, another saleswoman said she thought my 2.7ct tanzanite pendant was an alexandrite.

BWAHA! Do I look like the sultan of a small country? Um no.
Yikes!

I am costantly surprising jewellers and gem saler around here. They know the basic Brazilian tourmalines (dark green, pink, etc), aqua, opal amethist antd the like. My spinels, benitoites. sphenes and so on constantly amaze them.

I freaked a jeweler when I whipped out my loup to check the setting when I went to pick it up (there was a screw up too).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. I didn''t send the tourmaline back to Michael to set off the bat because I thought it''d be nice to build a relationship with a local jeweler, but I haven''t found one yet that is both comfortable with colored stones, flexible in doing custom work, and doesn''t charge a huge mark up. But to be fair, I haven''t really met with all the jewelers philly has to offer, I''ve only been to maybe 10 or 15.

My current dilemma is not: Yellow gold, white gold, or two tone semi bezel for the tourmaline

Here''s the tourmaline again
500x375.aspx

Here''s the setting
SideShowtourm.jpg

crecchia

Rough_Rock
Trade
I find it frustrating as well-- it seems ridiculous to have all these people right here and not be able to work with anyone. I would like a simple custom setting for a stone I bought from a cutter-- how is that so difficult, and you get the 3rd degree? It makes me very uncomfortable, and it shouldn''t be.

There''s just no graciousness. It should be a helpful, cordial business exchange, not an interrogation by someone who knows less than I do. God help me when I take out my LOGR setting I bought (once I find the center stone, I will be contacting a cutter).

Grrr!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a slightly different experience but it''ll make you laugh!

In Turkey I went into a jewellers and just happened to be wearing one of my Alexandrite. The jeweller asked what the stone was and when I told him he asked me if I wanted to buy some! The curious blingster in me said of course I''d love to see some if he had any.

Out came a tray stacked full of "Alexandrites". He then got out a lighter (I kid you not) and heated one of the stones until it changed colour! At this point I explained to him that his tray of Alexandrites were NOT Alexandrites and showed him how to see the colour change i.e. change of lighting. Heat does nothing to Alex but he clearly thought it did!
9.gif

The same jeweller then proceeded to show me another tray of "Tanzanite" which were obviously a synthetic of some description.

At that point I made a hasty exit!
9.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that people need to understand where most jewelers are coming from. They usually started in the business through family and are either strictly business people, (meaning that they may understand what they are doing, BUT they have never done it, relying on employees to deal with most sales, repair and custom jewelery fabrication), or they are benchies who have worked their way into a business owner position. Neither one of these types of people have generally had much involvement with colored gems...even if they have a gemology diploma from the GIA. This is because, until recently, the focus in jewelry was in diamonds. The margins were 2.5 or 3 times their cost and a person could focus on diamonds and setting them exclusively, making a very good living doing so. That changed rather abruptly about 10 years ago and many jewelers are still trying to bring back the good old days, (meaning that they have still not broadened their views to encompass more than diamonds). When you think about it, diamonds are REALLY easy compared to colored stones. There are just so many variables, things happening in terms of supplies, prices, different grades, color popularities, etc. It is just plain mind boggling for someone who doesn''t REALLY want to get into this stuff. The truth is that a few weeks of reading stuff and looking at pictures on gemstone forums and YOU are heads and tails above 90% of the jewelers out there when it comes to colored gem knowledge.

The downside is finding someone to work with who understands the differences between setting diamonds and setting color. Diamonds are nearly bulletproof...color can be hugely frustrating. The key to finding someone to work with is in their attitude and experience levels with color. It just takes a bit of walking around and talking to different people. Often times it as simple as asking a bench person or shop owner who they would recommend to set your colored stones for you. In my city most of the shop folks know each other and know who''s good at what. Often times they will express a desire to do a project, take that project on and then farm it out to the person that they know will do the best job on it. Walking and talking, a little time and I''m sure that you can find the right person to do some fine work for you.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Michael
9.gif

I''ve had sapphires and diamonds set locally in the past with no problems, but I''ve also had people scuff up my colored gems accidentally since they didn''t take as much care as they should have. People who usually set diamonds don''t need to be as diligent about not scratching the rock since nothing other than diamond would scratch it.

I''ve heard Debs in Philly is good with colored stones, but I haven''t been there myself. One of these days though..
I often find that the most informed jewelers are those in the smaller family run stores. The sales people at the big chain jewelery stores can be just hopeless sometimes.
38.gif
One of them once complimented me on my lovely peridot ring while I was wearing my tsavorite...really?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/24/2010 2:23:33 PM
Author: He then got out a lighter (I kid you not) and heated one of the stones until it changed colour!

That''s pretty funny. I wonder what you were supposed to do, carry a lighter around and look at the "color change" by heating it up all the time ?

There are a lot of stones which change color under heat, (easy to see when re-tipping a stone). Blue sapphires, for instance, often change to a light green and then changes right back once it cools. Moissanite gets bright orange...a great way to separate it from diamond, but then CZ can POP, so maybe not such a good test.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha LD, nice story!

And believe me, if that guy had dropped and damaged my stone without reimbursing me, I probably would have drop kicked him in the head. Or accidentally "knocked over" his little boxes of loose gems all over the floor
11.gif
More as a matter of principal than monetary value, it''s just rude to start handling someone else''s goods without asking! (And this applies to more than just gems).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 2:35:23 PM
Haha LD, nice story!

And believe me, if that guy had dropped and damaged my stone without reimbursing me, I probably would have drop kicked him in the head. Or accidentally ''knocked over'' his little boxes of loose gems all over the floor
11.gif
More as a matter of principal than monetary value, it''s just rude to start handling someone else''s goods without asking! (And this applies to more than just gems).
This had me laughing until I thought I was going to choke! Remind me to take you shopping with me when I run into a rude jeweller!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG

I really love the color of that stone and the setting. I would go with WG because I really really want a WG RHR. May work for you too if you don''t wear much YG.

I''ve had jewelers at retail chains check my diamonds before taking them away from me. Makes sure that we both know it''s a diamond when it leaves my hand.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 3:47:35 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 2/24/2010 2:35:23 PM

Haha LD, nice story!

And believe me, if that guy had dropped and damaged my stone without reimbursing me, I probably would have drop kicked him in the head. Or accidentally ''knocked over'' his little boxes of loose gems all over the floor
11.gif

This had me laughing until I thought I was going to choke! Remind me to take you shopping with me when I run into a rude jeweller!

Haha, oh yes, I may look like an innocuous little asian girl, but I''m ALL ninja!
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 6:26:27 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I''ve had jewelers at retail chains check my diamonds before taking them away from me. Makes sure that we both know it''s a diamond when it leaves my hand.

That makes sense if you agree to have them do something for you, but the guy I was talking was molesting my gem before we had even started looking at possible settings! I had taken it out to show him what I was looking to set, and he just opened the jar up and started weighing it, and poking at it...

I like WG against my skin better too, but I think the color looks richer in Yellow gold. I feel like the white gold makes the color look really cold.

empress

Shiny_Rock
I have been really lucky - I guess - in using local jewelers for projects.

But, I cruise stores and talk with the owners before embarking on a project. I see what they have in their cases and what they are producing versus what they are marketing for others.

When I lived in Bellingham, WA - my first colored gem purchase was a mandarin garnet. They worked with me to design a setting with a pair of tsavorites in 18k yellow gold.

Then I fell in love with one of Ed''s - Wild Fish - stones. A carnelian cabochon and they made a setting that I designed with turquoise and lapis in 20k that is drop dead...

I had developed a "relationship" with the owner of the store before i trusted them. The owner - she - was a former bench jeweler and designer - and was really open with what she did and didn''t know.

After I figure out how to post pictures (I''m veryyyy slow) I''ll show you the results.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results