shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to a jeweler today. Some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And saw a replica of this Daniel K setting (like pokey''s by Leon)-- it wasn''t an exact copy... there were differences and I noted them... but it was well made (had them break out the loupe for me) and very nice. In 18K it was $1100 but I''m fairly certain I could have talked them down from that price if I''d wanted to. Diamonds were G-H SI1 and I didn''t see anything wrong with them through the loupe. Over all it was a lovely, cost effective way to get the look. The one they had in stock was for a round, and they said getting one for my asscher would be no problem. So... if anyone is interested, I have the information of the store and the manager''s name. And for my own information... I asked for a price quote for a 6x6 square in platinum with G or better diamonds, manager was helpful and said she''d get it for me tomorrow. Not bad overall. Jeweler is in Wall/ Sea Girt NJ area.

For me it clarified that I ADORE the split shank that MsSalvo is looking at (which is different than this one). And that I would defintely consider cheating on my ''new'' setting with that Daniel K-- if given the chance...lol.

And that I MUST get an ultrasonic cleaner ASAP. My asscher looked amazing all day today (winking all kinds of fire at me now too) after it got cleaned and prong checked at this jeweler. Also... my prongs are still as tight today as they were four years ago.

02TT13.jpg

Here''s the Daniel K that the setting was like:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 7:09:58 PM
Author:Gypsy
And saw a replica of this Daniel K setting (like pokey''s by Leon)-- it wasn''t an exact copy... there were differences and I noted them... but it was well made (had them break out the loupe for me) and very nice. In 18K it was $1100 but I''m fairly certain I could have talked them down from that price if I''d wanted to. Diamonds were G-H SI1 and I didn''t see anything wrong with them through the loupe. Over all it was a lovely, cost effective way to get the look. The one they had in stock was for a round, and they said getting one for my asscher would be no problem. So... if anyone is interested, I have the information of the store and the manager''s name. And for my own information... I asked for a price quote for a 6x6 square in platinum with G or better diamonds, manager was helpful and said she''d get it for me tomorrow. Not bad overall. Jeweler is in Wall/ Sea Girt NJ area.

For me it clarified that I ADORE the split shank that MsSalvo is looking at (which is different than this one). And that I would defintely consider cheating on my ''new'' setting with that Daniel K-- if given the chance...lol.

And that I MUST get an ultrasonic cleaner ASAP. My asscher looked amazing all day today (winking all kinds of fire at me now too) after it got cleaned and prong checked at this jeweler. Also... my prongs are still as tight today as they were four years ago.

02TT13.jpg

Here''s the Daniel K that the setting was like:
That looks like an awesome setting, Gypsy, and very well priced too.
9.gif

Would an e-ring sit flush with that split shank setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you find out who the manufacturer of the ring is by chance? It is really pretty and would be beautiful for your asscher! I like the split shank myself but just can''t make myself pay the designer prices.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, Isaku, (HI! BTW) an ering wouldn't sit flush... but it was still really nice. The biggest differences that I noted were that the pave on the prongs didn't go all the way to the tip like the Daniel K does and that from the side in that gap... the Micheal K's gap is much more fluid.

I wouldn't get it for my asscher cause it has the same width as my current setting... what I mean by that is the two shanks together (with the space in the middle) have the same width as my shank does now... so I think it would still make my asscher look smaller than I want it to look. But honey... let me tell you... I'd put a Tsavorite (lol) in it in a heartbeat and call it a RHR!

DS... no they wouldn't tell me who the manufacturer was... and that's common around here-- none of the jewelers around here will tell you where they get their settings from unless its a designer setting. I like the split shank too. Honestly it was a stunning setting for a round too which surprised me because well... the pic I have of it on my computer is set with an asscher.

Here's that pic:

split shank asscher DKR.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had actually liked a Beaudry split shank earlier but there''s no way I''d pay about $7000 for a split shank setting! So it might be worth looking at the imitations out there. The reason I was looking at that kind of design was that I thought it might make a good stand-alone ring. However, I think it would look best with a relatively large center stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
just for some handshot perspective, ecf8503 visited pearlmans as well and tried on the split crown asscher, it's different than the split shank gypsy posted. she couldn't remember the size of the center stone though.

DSC05397DanielKasschera.jpg

DSC05403DanielKasscherzoom.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is the split crown with the cushions. the first is the 1.55 which i tried on and the smaller one is a 1.03. i have yet to see a knock off of this one...

DSC05416DanielKcushionshandshot.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I think I prefer the split crown to the split shank. Both are yum though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:08:35 PM
Author: mrssalvo
and here is the split crown with the cushions. the first is the 1.55 which i tried on and the smaller one is a 1.03. i have yet to see a knock off of this one...

DSC05416DanielKcushionshandshot.jpg

THAT''S THE ONE I would cheat on my setting for! It''s just amazing. And-- unlike any other setting... I think I would even like it with my 1.09 in it. Although... frankly I think it would look the *best* with a square cushion.

I am going to have to ask that jeweler if that manufacturer has anything like THIS one! Wouldn''t THAT be a pickle. Especially if it was as good a likeness as the other one is.
31.gif
Although... if you look at this one from the side... OH BABY is that gorgeous... AND hard to copy.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:10:32 PM
Author: blueroses

me too BR. the split shank looks more masculine in the pics and I don''t remember it in person b/c I was so blown away by the the split crown. However, Leon''s recent version looks yummy and I''ve heard they are much more dainty and delicate looking in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:18:32 PM

me too BR. the split shank looks more masculine in the pics and I don''t remember it in person b/c I was so blown away by the the split crown. However, Leon''s recent version looks yummy and I''ve heard they are much more dainty and delicate looking in person.

The one I saw today was surprisingly dainty... and it was made for a 1.5 mm round. The split crown though... that one just looks remarkably dainty and so amazing. That''s the ONLY setting I''ve seen that I''d give mine up for. Possibly.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:21:32 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 6/15/2006 10:18:32 PM

The one I saw today was surprisingly dainty... and it was made for a 1.5 mm round. The split crown though... that one just looks remarkably dainty and so amazing. That''s the ONLY setting I''ve seen that I''d give mine up for. Possibly.

yes, it looks waaaaaaay better in person than the pics i''ve seen one any websites. I think you''re asscher would look fab in something like it. It was also thin enough that the wedding band could be worn, while not flush, it was a very tiny, tiny gap. I do love your halo idea though
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 10:24:26 PM

yes, it looks waaaaaaay better in person than the pics i''ve seen one any websites. I think you''re asscher would look fab in something like it. It was also thin enough that the wedding band could be worn, while not flush, it was a very tiny, tiny gap. I do love your halo idea though
30.gif

That''s high praise honestly, as I''ve seen your taste in rings and well...thank you very much. I love my setting, I don''t know how tempted I would be by that setting IF it (or a ring inspired by it) were a real option. I love dainty feminine and unique jewelery. And that is the nicest setting I''ve seen in a long time. Just a stunning piece.

I would get the split shank inspired ring I saw today (for $900) and set a 2 carat colored stone in it in a heartbeat, though. YUM!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay ... here''s what I''ve learned ... Tsavorite ain''t cheap. Darn it.

This one for example
Tsavorite garnet
$3250
Cushion cut tsavorite with a beautiful open color.
It measures 8.0mm and weighs 2.71cts

tsavorite3k.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco that sucker is STUNNING! Where'd you get that? What site? Spill! NOW! LOL.

ETA: It occurs to me that what we have here... Deco, between the setting I found today... and that stunning Tsavorite you found... is the look of the Pokey's E-ring (without the extra Leon pave and the claw prongs) for about $4000. Hmm... well I've got to guess that Leon setting set him back about $2750 and his cushion was probably around the price of that one... so. 5,750--6,000. It's not a bad savings.... Of course that's for 18K instead of platinum.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 11:38:45 PM
Deco that sucker is STUNNING! Where''d you get that? What site? Spill! NOW! LOL.

ETA: It occurs to me that what we have here... Deco, between the setting I found today... and that stunning Tsavorite you found... is the look of the Pokey''s E-ring (without the extra Leon pave and the claw prongs) for about $4000. Hmm... well I''ve got to guess that Leon setting set him back about $2750 and his cushion was probably around the price of that one... so. 5,750--6,000. It''s not a bad savings.... Of course that''s for 18K instead of platinum.

Really? You think Leon''s setting ~2,750? Somehow I think it must have been more than that.

And, YUM = your asscher + that split crown

I think I got my math right on that one
2.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like the name of that Sea Girt/Wall jeweler, please!
2.gif

Unless it is Bentley...after the way the owner insulted my cushion, I don''t think I could stomach buying anything from them!
14.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not Bentley... LOL.... funny thing was I wanted to go to Bentley and browse... but got lazy and since I was in the strip mall with Bannana Republic and Williams Sonoma and Ann Taylor anyway.... I went to Bellew Jewelers and the manager's name is Marsha Chasinov. She was nice... but canny. So be on your toes. 1195... sorry I was off by a hundred is the price-- but that's the price on the tag. Negotiate.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 8:59:58 AM
Author: dbgaap

Date: 6/15/2006 11:38:45 PM
Deco that sucker is STUNNING! Where''d you get that? What site? Spill! NOW! LOL.

ETA: It occurs to me that what we have here... Deco, between the setting I found today... and that stunning Tsavorite you found... is the look of the Pokey''s E-ring (without the extra Leon pave and the claw prongs) for about $4000. Hmm... well I''ve got to guess that Leon setting set him back about $2750 and his cushion was probably around the price of that one... so. 5,750--6,000. It''s not a bad savings.... Of course that''s for 18K instead of platinum.

Really? You think Leon''s setting ~2,750? Somehow I think it must have been more than that.

And, YUM = your asscher + that split crown

I think I got my math right on that one
2.gif
I might have been... that was my guess from the qoutes he gave me for a pave halo setting for my asscher. I could easily have been 3,500. Don''t know... and pokey isn''t telling...lol.
But that just makes this a better deal.

Deco''s also not talking... I think she''s got plans for that cushion!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''ve been in Ballew''s. They''ve never been super-helpful to me, but I did try on a 2ct. round in a split shank setting there that was really nice. I wonder if it was the same setting?

I''m trying to stay focused on getting a halo for my cushion, but you guys are all distracting me with these gorgeous split shank beauties!
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might have been the same setting... this one was definitely for a round. BUT there wasn't anything set in this one... it was a semi mount. And I thought it was lovely. As for halos... did you see the Beverly K ones I posted in the Professor's thread? Those are very reasonable in 18K and just beautiful.

Also... I emailed Marsha the split crown pictures just in case... to see if that manufacturer had anything similar to that one.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 1:29:06 PM
It might have been the same setting... this one was definitely for a round. BUT there wasn''t anything set in this one... it was a semi mount. And I thought it was lovely. As for halos... did you see the Beverly K ones I posted in the Professor''s thread? Those are very reasonable in 18K and just beautiful.

Also... I emailed Marsha the split crown pictures just in case... to see if that manufacturer had anything similar to that one.
Let me know what you hear about that! I''m thinking a yummy colored stone RHR might be in order!
31.gif

And I am getting a custom halo from WF -- I''ve already gotten the quote -- but I am loathe to part with my ring, so I am trying to figure out when I am going to send it in. Plus, I have had a few moments of questioning the halo, but it is what I have wanted ever since I saw the Tiffany Legacy three years ago, so I am going to stick with it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will certainly update when I hear anything!

Can''t wait to see pics of your cushion in WF halo! It''s going to be lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results