shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, no more ebay stones....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:44:26 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
Then dont post on it. Whats not enthralling is taking everything someone says and twisting it into something else to create drama, or turning it into something offensive in nature. THe post was origionally about not being able to buy stones of ebay anymore, but was turned into a mess about not trusting people from other countries and not using paypal. That is why people cant even sneeze today w/o offending someone because society is so wrapped up making EVERYTHING someone says or does into something it isnt. I try not to associate with people like that because while taking offence to something, they are i n reality creating the tention that causes the drama in the first place.

So with that, I wish you the best of luck in your stone buying. Im outtie.
Please don''t presume to know me. I find your post above extremely objectionable and I''m sure so do others. Whilst we all have sympathy with not being able to use Paypal AND none of us would willingly give information out that could end up being used fraudulently that is a million miles away with being impolite about foreigners and making a sweeping statement that they can''t be trusted.

You appear to like to "attack" others. You''ve done so in this thread to 2 posters and have admitted to doing so with the Paypal operative. You had a go at another poster on a thread this week when they dared to be truthful about one of your gemstones also. Perhaps you should turn the mirror on yourself before accusing others of trying to create tension and drama!

I doubt very much whether you''re "outtie" but in case you are
35.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a foreigner as well. But TG''s comments don''t bother me at all. I do not think it meant distrusting foreigners; TG is right, the more links in a chain, the more difficult it will be to find an end in case of stolen identity. I opened a bank account with a major US bank several years ago. In a while, someone started "slicing" small sums off my account; the money went to a tiny coffee shop in Barcelona. Luckily there was a very small amount in that account. The bank asked me not to close it because they wanted to track this chain...and were unable to! Amazon.com used to have a branch in my country. Well, I never bought from it just knowing how "scammy" some people in my country could be.

Of interest, I am a buyer and have been using Paypal. Recently I got an email indicating that I have a "limit" on the amount I could spend and I could either "remove" it by following certain procedures or, better, open a Paypal credit card. My main card has always been in good standing, no overdrafts, no late payments. I do not know where it came from but it is interesting that it appeared at the same time as TG''s problems with her account. I am going to follow their link to see where it leads me. But if they start asking for any sensitive information, it will be a red flag to me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 3:40:37 PM
Author: crasru
Of interest, I am a buyer and have been using Paypal. Recently I got an email indicating that I have a ''limit'' on the amount I could spend and I could either ''remove'' it by following certain procedures or, better, open a Paypal credit card. My main card has always been in good standing, no overdrafts, no late payments. I do not know where it came from but it is interesting that it appeared at the same time as TG''s problems with her account. I am going to follow their link to see where it leads me. But if they start asking for any sensitive information, it will be a red flag to me.
This is standard Paypal procedure. You may not have noticed it before, but I believe you have the initial ability to send $2,500 to whoever you want to, and once you get close to that limit, they ask you to link your bank account to your paypal account or open a paypal credit card to become a "Verified" member.

I wouldn''t think anything of it. They aren''t singling you out.

As for the rest of this thread, I agree with LovingDiamond''s last post on the previous page. Generalizations do not make friends.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
TropcGal, I too was startled by your statement, but hopefully blame it on your frustration with bureaucracy. I am in a different pinch with PayPal, apparently they are not happy when you change your name...like you TropicGal, they want very private information (fax new ss card and marriage cert) to prove that I changed my name. My bank didn''t want as much info as PP does! As a result of their difficulties, I recently had to send an envelope of cash to Freke for some earrings! Luckily she has been verified by the PS community
9.gif
Good luck with finding a resolution with PP.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct me if I am wrong but Paypal and Ebay go hand in hand! When I received a "spoof" email from Ebay wanting me to update my account info..........I investigated it before hand by opening up Ebay in a new browser window. Nothing needed updated and there was no message in my Ebay file warning me to do so. I forwarded the email to Ebays spoof dept. Right away I got an email reply saying that the email was fraudulent and that EBAY will never send an email telling you to update your acct.............Since Ebay now owns Paypal, I would think that Paypal would be the same way. Never change your account info at the request of an email................ Always open up the site under your browser first!

TG...I hope you get this resolved. It may take some efforts on your part........but there is no way that I would give Paypal $480 of my hard earned $$!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm interesting thread! I have to agree, I don''t think the issue is with "foreign people" it more about sending private documents to an unknown source. I too, would be extremely unhappy sending such personal information such as birth certificate as this can easily lead to idenity theft. Some many internet scams these days, I think it would be wise to be careful....

empress

Shiny_Rock
I''d venture a guess that pre-paid cards are considered "high risk" by any number of credit rating entities. If you are not linked to your bank account, that could be considered high risk.

Maybe someone else has tried to get money from your account and they are trying to verify who you are.

I had a credit card number stolen before I ever used the card - and they tried to pay for over $20,000 worth of medical procedures. The credit card company''s fraud office called me to let me know and establish me credibility.

In this day of identify theft and larceny, maybe you need to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are trying to protect your funds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tropic,
I feel your pain and your frustration because I am not even willing to share basic information with PayPal, and as such, refuse to have an account with them. That said, I also understand a few other posters'' point of view about your insult of foreign workers. It is because you made it such a general and sweeping statement, implying that ALL these people are not trustworthy. You probably did not meant it to sound like that; only that at the height of your anger and being upset, it came out as such.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread kind of went in an odd direction.

I will only say this; when I had to call paypal and deal with them, I spoke with people who had very distinct american accents.

CCN is very correct, I have never accessed my paypal account from an email sent to me, always from a browser window. And Ebay owns paypal.

Tropicgal, for what its worth I think its worth talking to someone else at paypal. Call their customer service number & see if they can give you a better explanation for whats actually happening.

Sending someone a social would also make me freaked out. I didn''t open my paypal account with one, they shouldn''t need one. So I can agree with you there. They shouldn''t need a birth certificate either. If you have a bank account connected to your paypal that should be all the info they need.

-A

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL I am still currious when I said the words "foreign people" at all. Also I am currious when I said all 'foreign people" are untrustowrthy! I never said this, others said I said this. Everyone seems to be refrencing this and I have no clue where it is comming from! Again, my words are being taken out of context and twisted till they are something completely different. My words were I dont want to send some over seas worker my personal information. No "foreign people" there, and this phrase was comepletely made up by LD. Read the thread please!

So If I got that nigerian man e-mail where he is asking for money and I said "I wont send my money to some nigerian man"....I guess that would be a general sweep against all men in nigeria? COMMON!!! I think people need to stop being so dang sensitive and stop looking for insults in every comment.

Please inlighten me on the 'foreign people' comment...I will be waiting!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tropic,
I read your full and original post. Umm...any one from overseas is also a foreigner to whoever is in the US. That''s just the definition.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have read my origional post, and I think it is being twisted into something it isnt to create drama. Honestly, I think it is funny how some people have twisted my words. It shows great insecurity. Heck, if someone said something about not wanting to buy from germans (I am german) I wouldnt even flinch at it. And that is someone ACTAULLY making an offensive comment, not some twisting of words.
I am still waiting for where I said all 'foreigners' are untrustworthy....still waiting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 6:20:19 PM
LOL I am still currious when I said the words ''foreign people'' at all. Also I am currious when I said all ''foreign people'' are untrustowrthy! I never said this, others said I said this. Everyone seems to be refrencing this and I have no clue where it is comming from! Again, my words are being taken out of context and twisted till they are something completely different. My words were I dont want to send some over seas worker my personal information. No ''foreign people'' there, and this phrase was comepletely made up by LD. Read the thread please!

So If I got that nigerian man e-mail where he is asking for money and I said ''I wont send my money to some nigerian man''....I guess that would be a general sweep against all men in nigeria? COMMON!!! I think people need to stop being so dang sensitive and stop looking for insults in every comment.

Please inlighten me on the ''foreign people'' comment...I will be waiting!!!
Usually I wouldn''t comment on these types of thread because they are no longer benefical to anyone. However, some of your comments really show how poorly you are handleing this situation. Bating or trying to get the last word in to the other posters is no way to respond. Instead of being defensive- just realize you might have offended some- say your sorry and move on. Additional nasty comments are not needed. Just MHO.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 6:37:22 PM
I have read my origional post, and I think it is being twisted into something it isnt to create drama. Honestly, I think it is funny how some people have twisted my words. It shows great insecurity.
I am still waiting for where I said all 'foreigners' are untrustworthy....still waiting.

You really are insulting.

How dare you say I'm trying to create drama. You said this in your first post and THIS is what has been quoted back at you. It says it all. It says that you don't trust "some over seas outsourced worker". Please don't try to justify your words as they're abundantly clear. Nothing has been twisted. Nothing has been misquoted. YOU have been quoted ................

"I havnt had a problem with the stones lately, but paypal froze my account. Dont know why, except they thought "I was high risk". I am super teed off about it expecially sence I had $480 in my paypal account that I now cannot touch. I have 190 100% feedback, no bid retractions...no clue what put me into the high risk catagory. Anyone have an idea? The only way they will release my funds is if I fax them a TON of personal information, give them a detailed description and tracking number of the past 15 purchases and my bank account/routing number.

Sence I do not feel like having my identity stolen (the amount of info they want is enough to get a social security card and birth cirtificate made...and I dont trust some over seas outsourced worker with that information) I guess I am out $480 and no more ebay stones. I have gotten some GREAT deals on my stones and I am sad I will find deals no more on there.

My tanzanite supplier is paid via paypal too, so I am hoping he got paid (I paid him right before the paypal nazis froze me). I havnt been able to get into contact with him.

*grunt*

~*~*~*Rock Hugger*~*~*~"

You don't trust "some" over seas outsourced worker???????? So what exactly did you mean? This is a multi-national community. You may think that it's fine to insult a group of people but it's not. If you think that's too PC for you then fine but don't get upset when offended people speak up.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LD, seriously.....you really need to to talk to someone about whats going on deep inside if you are seriously insulted. Do some research on Frued, and look up his studies. It may help you in the long run. I think I explained what I ment throughout this thread...but you might have missed it sence it doesnt fit into your frame of mind.

If the nigerian e-mail post bothered you....then I will be more then happy to forward you the e-mail and you can fall for the scam. Because I guess if you dont send him money like he asks, then you are being insulting to all nigerians. Thats how we are thinking right? Just lemme know your e-mail and ill find it in my spam and send it right off to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tropic,
You have definitely crossed the line. Your sarcasm is NOT appreciated.
29.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 8:56:03 AM
Paypal is completely outsourced. I am not giving someone in another country this information.
Date: 12/13/2009 10:38:53 AM
Would you send you SS card, ID and vital information to a person over seas you spoke to over the phone and never met in person? Any time I have given my SS and vital information together is when I am face to face with a person in a secure setting (a bank or federal/state office).

I am sorry, I do not trust handing this information over to someone I spoke to over the phone.

Please dont twist my words either. I never said 'just because Paypal's services are 'outsourced to foreigners' it means your identity will automatically be stolen'. If you are going to quote me, quote my exact words. Giving my information to someone I spoke to over the phone in another country increases my risk for sure. I do not know their screening process for their employees or their privacy measures in countries other then the US.
Date: 12/13/2009 11:05:51 AM
Thank you correctly quoting me. And as I said, employment screening and personal security measures are different and regulated differently overseas.Yes I do. I have worked with vital information and here in the US (and taken a years worth of college classes for it), by law you must shred or destroy written information or secure it in a locked cabinet. The places that hold this information is regularly audited to make sure they are protecting peoples information. Sending my information to some country (I have no idea where it will be forwarded to) where I dont know what laws are in place to protect me isnt going to happen.
Date: 12/13/2009 12:22:20 PM
I cant believe so many people have taken what I said completely out of context. People interpret anything they can in order to make it offensive and thats a shame. You are twisting what I said to mean I dont trust over seas workers, when I mean (and clarified) that I dont trust the laws and screening used in an unknown country where my information is being sent. If that is obnoxious of me and wrong...then I guess I am a horrible person for it. So be it. I have worked in areas where this type of information is handled and it is VERY easy to let one piece of paper slip and be given to the wrong person w/o proper guidelines. Can you tell me what the federal guidelines for customer privacy are in russia, china, japan, india, greece, dubia, mexico, germany, and spain are? If you cant give them to me for every country (the main countries of outsourcing, and sence I dont know what country my information is being sent to) then you cant tell me I am being narrow minded or 'obnoxious'.

Trust who ever you want to trust I guess, and willingly give out your information to unknown sources. Its not my money, I dont care. I hear there is a man in nigeria willing to give money out...you just gotta give him some of your personal information/bank account information.
Date: 12/13/2009 12:44:26 PM
Then dont post on it. Whats not enthralling is taking everything someone says and twisting it into something else to create drama, or turning it into something offensive in nature. THe post was origionally about not being able to buy stones of ebay anymore, but was turned into a mess about not trusting people from other countries and not using paypal. That is why people cant even sneeze today w/o offending someone because society is so wrapped up making EVERYTHING someone says or does into something it isnt. I try not to associate with people like that because while taking offence to something, they are i n reality creating the tention that causes the drama in the first place.

So with that, I wish you the best of luck in your stone buying. Im outtie.
Date: 12/13/2009 6:20:19 PM
LOL I am still currious when I said the words 'foreign people' at all. Also I am currious when I said all 'foreign people' are untrustowrthy! I never said this, others said I said this. Everyone seems to be refrencing this and I have no clue where it is comming from! Again, my words are being taken out of context and twisted till they are something completely different. My words were I dont want to send some over seas worker my personal information. No 'foreign people' there, and this phrase was comepletely made up by LD. Read the thread please!

So If I got that nigerian man e-mail where he is asking for money and I said 'I wont send my money to some nigerian man'....I guess that would be a general sweep against all men in nigeria? COMMON!!! I think people need to stop being so dang sensitive and stop looking for insults in every comment.

Please inlighten me on the 'foreign people' comment...I will be waiting!!!
Date: 12/13/2009 6:37:22 PM
I have read my origional post, and I think it is being twisted into something it isnt to create drama. Honestly, I think it is funny how some people have twisted my words. It shows great insecurity. Heck, if someone said something about not wanting to buy from germans (I am german) I wouldnt even flinch at it. And that is someone ACTAULLY making an offensive comment, not some twisting of words.

Date: 12/13/2009 6:52:41 PM
LD, seriously.....you really need to to talk to someone about whats going on deep inside if you are seriously insulted. Do some research on Frued, and look up his studies. It may help you in the long run. I think I explained what I ment throughout this thread...but you might have missed it sence it doesnt fit into your frame of mind.

If the nigerian e-mail post bothered you....then I will be more then happy to forward you the e-mail and you can fall for the scam. Because I guess if you dont send him money like he asks, then you are being insulting to all nigerians. Thats how we are thinking right? Just lemme know your e-mail and ill find it in my spam and send it right off to you.
Yes you are being offensive. And you are the only person creating drama on this thread, and as you can see by the text I have QUOTED above, you continue perpetuating it.

You have been making gross generalizations and being discriminatory about people from other countries. There are dishonest people here in the States too. I have yet to see any "twisting of words" by anyone but yourself. People who aren't from your home country=foreign people. The only person here that I have perceived being insulting is you--towards foreign people, of whom there are a lot of on PS.

And now with your most recent posts, you are personally attacking another member, and being incredibly condescending and inflammatory. I suggest you knock it off.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Am I being sarcastic. I am totally serious. In order to be insulted, there must be an insecurity. And if you can be insulted by someone saying the dont want to send information to an over seas worker over the phone...then there must be a WHOLE lot of insecurites and that is something that should be talked about with a professional.

I am actually thinking of showing this thread in my Human Psychology class, because it shows alot of the issues with society we are talking about in class (we were talking about racism and the recent claims of racism with a new disney movie) and the psychology behind it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 6:58:46 PM
Am I being sarcastic. I am totally serious. In order to be insulted, there must be an insecurity. And if you can be insulted by someone saying the dont want to send information to an over seas worker over the phone...then there must be a WHOLE lot of insecurites and that is something that should be talked about with a professional.

I am actually thinking of showing this thread in my Human Psychology class, because it shows alot of the issues with society we are talking about in class.

Dearie me! You really are incredible at twisting words to your own purposes! I have no issue with you not wanting to send personal information to anybody. I have an issue with the manner in you quite clearly stated that because people are overseas they aren't to be trusted!

I do hope you show your Human Psychology class this thread. I wonder if they'll help you identify the real issue:

A definition of bigotry:

"a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2009 7:05:40 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 12/13/2009 6:58:46 PM

I am actually thinking of showing this thread in my Human Psychology class, because it shows alot of the issues with society we are talking about in class.

Dearie me!

Perhaps show them this as well:

A definition of biggotry:

'a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance'
Wow! I am now saying I hate foreigners? Amazing!!! Please tell me what else you can pull from my comment! I am learning alot about myself today.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Tropicgal, I agree with AJ and the others. AJ isn''t trying to twist your words, otherwise hurt you. AJ, and the others as well, are all trying to help you understand just how your words might hurt others, even if that was not your intent. You don''t want to turn your information over to people you''ve never met. However, most of the people that manage your bank account and Paypal accounts are people you''ve never met and won''t ever meet. Throwing in that they are outsourced workers is irrelevant unless that is part of the reason why you don''t trust these workers...

Asking for the federal guidelines for consumer privacy in other countries? That is entirely irrelevant since the companies you are dealing with are in the good ole'' United States of America. The screening done for those employees isn''t through the "unknown countries" but from the known countries of the United States. I understand not wanting to give your information out. If you don''t want to, you shouldn''t. But you also shouldn''t use Paypal.

Using the term "Paypal nazis" can also be offensive. I understand entirely about being frustrated by Paypal, and using PS as a sounding board for your frustrations and methods to cope.

AJ, LD and the other posters are not "trying" to interpret what you say negatively. They are trying to make you see and understand why your words are giving you a negative image and offensive to others. They are helping. Personally, if I''m wrong, I love to be corrected. If I''m hurting others, I want to stop it. I want to know and understand why someone might take something I say in a way that I didn''t mean it. Sure, it hurts sometimes, but more often than not, I learn from the experience.

Tropicgal, and others, I suggest that we all leave this thread and keep our discussions on CS related to...colored stones!!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dont worry, I wont be posting about it anymore or about stones. I have been thinking about leaving the board because of other posts made in the past by some people (but didnt jump on them because I AM NOT LIKE THAT. This is icing on the cake obviously. I respect many of you and wish you the best of luck with your gemstone searching. HOPEFULLY there will be some soul searching and issues resolved within some people here...but I highly doubt it.

Have a great christmas! (oh wait....is that allowed or is that insulting to those of other religions...) ;-).

Have a good night all!!!

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 12:28:57 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Read the words you used again. They are offensive. 'I dont trust some over seas outsourced worker...' If you use words as you have, don't be surprised if foreigners find it obnoxious.

This forum is about gemstones and quite frankly discussing Paypal and whether you can use it or not isn't exactly enthralling.
You're being absurdly sensative on the matter. He doesn't trust someone he doesn't know with his information. They are working in a country who's regulations he didn't know. If it was an American working for the company out of Belize (random country) do you think he'd be any less aprhensive? It's not because they are foriegners it's because of there foriegn manner of doing business.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
It seems this thread cannot be kept on topic, so it will have to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results