shape
carat
color
clarity

weird questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
OK, so while I am waiting for any recommendation for a nice ED I have some questions regarding the diamond industry. I hope they do npt sound too stupid..

1) Has anyone heard of this company in the wet coast that''s making "man-made diamond" using simulation-pressure-and-heat machine on diamond seeds? Apparently they "grow" their diamond in a simulated enviorment that resembles nature, and grow a diamond in 7 days instead of million of years. Has anyone examined one? From the news report, the color is the only thing that gives it away from the real thing. so does tha mean in a white stone nobody can tell the difference?

2) WHo certifies the dimonad cutting tecqniches in USA? Approximately how any dimond cutters are currently working full time? Do they belong to some professional association?
How does a diamond dealer go about choosing a good in-house cutter?

3) Now that AGA guidlindes are out on almost every shape of diamond you can find, will that encourage diamond cutters to only cut according to the measurements of the AGA charts? If so, will that result in consequences of maybe increasing the overall diamond pricing (given the same GIA grades) in the industry? Or will it actually plato-out in a few years so we can get diamonds of superior beauty (in population level) without an increase in price?

I know that was a lot of questions for a saturday morning
9.gif
. I hope I can receive some feedback from experts!

BTW, anyone found a EC beauty yet?
30.gif

G.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Apollo and Gemesis are the companies you are referring to. One in an undisclosed location in the Northeast, and the other in Florida. You can search past threads by company name for info on man made diamonds. It''s been discussed a lot here.

Dunno about cutters. If they have a professional association or not. How many are working vs not. If there are certification proceedures or not. There are several cutters from various locations in the world that post on PScope. Brian Gavin from White Flash in Houston, TX. Paul Slegers from Infinity/Venus in Antwerp, Belgium. MDX is with the Melbourne Diamond Exchange in Australia and has discussed cutting diamonds in the past. Garry Holloway does tons of research on diamond cut. Sergie from MSU in Moscow is a diamond optics researcher that posts here. Sibelius is another cut researcher. Rhino is a Vendor that has performed lots of optical performance research and analysis. There are others I am sure I''ve forgotten to mention. Their posts are in-depth, detailed discussions about the intricacies of cutting diamonds.

The AGA cut charts are the result of independent research, analysis, and evaluation of diamonds performed by Dave Atlas and crew at www.gemappraisers.com . The AGA cut charts are guidelines to finding better performing diamonds, especially while shopping sight unseen. You can also use the cut charts to help with price indexing. Why one diamond costs more than another can be a direct result of minor nuances in the quality of the make. The cut charts are not cutting guidelines and not meant to replace evaluation in person.

Cutting a diamond isn''t as straight forward as taking a piece of rough and saying, "I wanna cut a round with this one." The rough decides what the cutter can and cannot do. It''s very complicated. Octahedral planes, inclusions, etc. One piece of rough may be well suited for a round while another piece of rough will produce a princess cut. Computer imagining does help the cutter evaluate the rough and plan the best approach to take. Many times diamond rough cooperates, and other times it doesn''t.
1.gif

GiGi

Rough_Rock
WOW< Thank you for the in-depth reply. I will do more research on the "growth diamond". After all, I think the magic of any stones comes from processing the unpredictability of a raw stone and transforming it into a beauty to wear. I have a lot of respect for creater (cutter) of gem stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I just saw the typo. It''s Genesis with a N and not a M.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results