shape
carat
color
clarity

wedding band to go w/ E ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
This forum was great in the purchasing of the engagement ring and I thank everyone again for that. Now, the band is next. I have my eye on Signed Pieces and wanted some feedback and thoughts. Her setting is the 2.7 mm 6 prong Tiffany style setting. Does the band need to match that size (2.7 mm)to look uniform or does it not matter? I really want something to compliment the E ring in a classic look and not over power the stone. To help here are pics of the E ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pictures-finally.30368/=

Here is a link of the contenders:

http://www.signedpieces.com/search.cfm?item_category=FDW&style_number_id=37

I like the 9 stone .62ct for $1140 (2.7 mm)

Would this look good to everyone or do I need to upgrade to the 9 stone .90 ct for $1588?

Or am I completely off and need to start over with my choices?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, KC....nice to see ya back.

As far as your choices go....it looks like the smaller weight uses approximately 7-pointers; the larger uses 10-pointers.

The center stone on my e-ring and yours are similarly sized (1.19/1.24), so maybe these will help.

My w-ring is 5-pointers.....in this picture, try to imagine focus on just the center stone and the w-ring. (or maybe ANA/VALERIA can photoshop this for you to look like a solitaire and take out my side stones.
1.gif
)

I consider 5-pointers and 10-pointers; I felt the smaller size complimented, and I felt as though the 10-pointers competed more with my center stone, but that''s my preference.

I''ll post another pic I think will help next.

2ringsddjjss.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pictures that WF took of my e-ring next to a 5-pointer band and a 10-pointer band.

If you went with the heavier .90 cwt band, it would resemble the band on the right.

510compare4.JPG

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and another note: Your solitaire is a 6-prong like my e-ring, and the band you are considering is shared prong.

On shared-prong rings, if the girdles of the stones in the w-ring hang over the edges of the metal, it can scratch the southern prong......so make sure to specify to SP that you want enough metal on the edges to prevent scratching/rubbing. (i.e. if the diamonds measure 2.3mm, you may want the band to be 2.5mm)

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I agree...I like the smaller one!

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 10:40:17 PM
Author: aljdewey
Oh, and another note: Your solitaire is a 6-prong like my e-ring, and the band you are considering is shared prong.

On shared-prong rings, if the girdles of the stones in the w-ring hang over the edges of the metal, it can scratch the southern prong......so make sure to specify to SP that you want enough metal on the edges to prevent scratching/rubbing. (i.e. if the diamonds measure 2.3mm, you may want the band to be 2.5mm)

Thanks a ton. Can you elaborate on this a little? If I chose the .62ct as ya''ll suggest to then what do I need to specify? The e ring is 2.7mm so I need a wedding band that is 2.9mm, correct because of the shared prong? How can I know if the girdles of the stone hang over the edges?

Just want to make sure I''m getting this correct!!

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
I wanted to bump this for more feedback.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 7:03:56 PM
Author: kcwade33

Date: 12/1/2005 10:40:17 PM

Thanks a ton. Can you elaborate on this a little? If I chose the .62ct as ya''ll suggest to then what do I need to specify? The e ring is 2.7mm so I need a wedding band that is 2.9mm, correct because of the shared prong? How can I know if the girdles of the stone hang over the edges?

Aljdewey was saying that if the diamonds in the SP band measure 2.3mm, ask that the metal of the SP band measure 2.5mm. Basically, you want the metal of the SP band to touch your prongs on your solitaire instead of the girdles of the diamonds on the SP band touching your solitaire prongs.

Demelza can attest, but basically, the girdles on shared prong bands scratch and "eat" at the prongs next to them. So your e-ring prongs next to the wedding band easily get scratched and marked up. So if the metal on the SP band extends further than the girdles of the diamonds on the SP band, then you shouldn''t have this problem.
1.gif

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
My wife wears a 6-prong tiffany style setting that looks just like the one you show. We got her a 9 stone, 3 pointer, shared prong band. In our case that was the size where the width of the band matced the width of her e-ring band. I think that this looks best. It adds sparkle, but the stone in the e-ring stays the center of attention. Ive never liked bands that were wider than the e-ring band. Also, what was said earlier is true. On my wifes ring, the diamonds in the band are wearing a groove in the platinum on both lateral prongs on her e-ring. Eventually it will wear down enough so that the band sits perfectly flush with the e-ring and no more wear will occur. In our case there will still be plenty of platinum on the prongs left for strength, and we don''t mind about the wear. You may feel differently. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
How do you know how many points are in the 9 stone .62ct SP band?

If my E ring setting is 2.7mm wide, and the .62ct SP band is 2.7mm wide and 2.3 mm thick, then what do I need to tell them I need as far as measurements so they don''t rub?

just trying to get a grasp of this.

Thanks again.

graceelou

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of my 1.38 in a 6 prong tiffany style setting. I believe it is 2.5 mm. The wb is a approx .68ct shared prong half eternity. It consists of 12 diamonds so approx. 5pts each. Hope it helps!
1.gif

ringandhalfeternity3.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 3:29:03 PM
How do you know how many points are in the 9 stone .62ct SP band?

If my E ring setting is 2.7mm wide, and the .62ct SP band is 2.7mm wide and 2.3 mm thick, then what do I need to tell them I need as far as measurements so they don''t rub?

just trying to get a grasp of this.

Thanks again.
There are 9 appoximately 7 point stones in the .62ct band (.62 / 9)

I would ask them if the bottom of the ring (where there are no diamonds) is wider than the top of the ring. That way the diamonds won''t rub against each other. You can also ask them the diameter of each of the 9 diamonds - that way you can determine if they will hang over the edge of the band.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 3:47:22 PM
Author: graceelou
Here''s a pic of my 1.38 in a 6 prong tiffany style setting. I believe it is 2.5 mm. The wb is a approx .68ct shared prong half eternity. It consists of 12 diamonds so approx. 5pts each. Hope it helps!
1.gif

graceelou, this is exactly the way I want it to look. Does your WB rub the e ring setting? The e ring setting is 2.5 mm you say, so what is your WB?

very beautiful.

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
Judging from the picture, I'm guessing that most likely graceelou's diamonds rub against the side prong's on her e-ring (hence the space). Whether you have rubbing may depend on the design of your e-ring. Some have side prongs that run all the way down to your finger (like my wifes' and gracelou's I think), and some have a basket that sits on top of the band. If you have the first kind then as far as I know there is no way that it won't rub. Even if you have the band wider than the diamonds, because of the angle of the e-ring prong, the diamonds will still rub. The only way around this is a curved w-band that bends around the prong, or get a channel set band (which would have platinum rubbing against platinum instead). If you have the second type of e-ring setting, the basket on the e-ring would have to be high enough that the diamonds in the band would sit below the prongs. I'm guessing that most likely you have the first type of setting which means, like me, you're stuck with the rubbing if you go the shared prong route. The bright side is that you can't really hurt the diamonds because they're only rubbing on platinum and eventually the rings will sit flush (assuming you don't wear away too much of the prong).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The e ring is 2.7mm so I need a wedding band that is 2.9mm, correct because of the shared prong? How can I know if the girdles of the stone hang over the edges?

No, that''s not right. This has nothing to do with whether the width of the w-ring matches the width of the e-ring....that''s irrelevant.

On a shared prong band, you want the band itself to be a bit wider than the stones....therefore, the girdles of the stones can''t touch the prong of the e-ring.

So, if the 9-stones are 7-pointers and they measure 2.7mm, then you''ll want THE W/RING band to be about 2.9mm or so....a touch wider than the stones IT holds. In this way, the girdles won''t scratch the ering.

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
Al, correct me if I''m wrong (which I may be...) but even if the band is wider than the diamonds, wouldn''t the prong still hit the girdle, at least part of the time, because of the angle that it comes out of the e-ring? I realize I''m only giving advice from the one and only e-ring/band I''ve ever dealt with (my wife''s) so I don''t want to mislead.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 4:22:00 PM

The e ring is 2.7mm so I need a wedding band that is 2.9mm, correct because of the shared prong? How can I know if the girdles of the stone hang over the edges?

No, that''s not right. This has nothing to do with whether the width of the w-ring matches the width of the e-ring....that''s irrelevant.

On a shared prong band, you want the band itself to be a bit wider than the stones....therefore, the girdles of the stones can''t touch the prong of the e-ring.

So, if the 9-stones are 7-pointers and they measure 2.7mm, then you''ll want THE W/RING band to be about 2.9mm or so....a touch wider than the stones IT holds. In this way, the girdles won''t scratch the ering.

OK, I got it. With a 1.19 ct ring in a 6 prong tiffany setting, how many points and stones for the WB would be ideal so they won''t take away from the center stone?

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
I call SP and they stated the band is normally 1/2 mm wider on each side. Would this be enough to ya''ll? They stated it would be.

graceelou

Rough_Rock
Yes they do rub together and it has scratched the prong it hits but it is not as bad as I thought it would be. I did just buy a 2mm wedding band in 14k white gold to wear between the two and it looks fine and prevents the rubbing. Part of my problem though is that I need to size the e ring and diamond band down so they fit tighter. Right now they''re loose and I think that contributes to the rubbing. I''m not sure what kind of head for the diamond would prevent this but the ideas about making the shared prong metal wider than the diamonds seems like it would solve the problem.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 4:28:24 PM
Author: Thegroom
Al, correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be...) but even if the band is wider than the diamonds, wouldn't the prong still hit the girdle, at least part of the time, because of the angle that it comes out of the e-ring? I realize I'm only giving advice from the one and only e-ring/band I've ever dealt with (my wife's) so I don't want to mislead.
Don't know. My guess would be no becuase the prong would hit the metal edge instead of the girdle, but I guess it would really depend on how low the stone is set, etc. etc. If it's set high enough to clear the metal edge but not the girdle, then possibly???

In my case, the prong scratched until the rings sat flush. Wasn't enough to compromise the integrity of my prong, and I don't see it (because I wear the rings together), so I didn't care. Everything worth having requires a bit of maintenance over the years, so I'll just make sure to have it checked regularly and amended if need be.

For me, worrying about minor scratching wasn't worth sacrificing the look I really wanted of the shared-prong. I'd still make the same choice today.

recran

Rough_Rock
Checked out the ering - that is FAB!!!! I love me some Js in white metal. Just bought one myself.
18.gif

Random question: Will whiter stones in the band make the center diamond look any less perfect? I don''t know myself.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 7:10:12 PM
Author: recran
Checked out the ering - that is FAB!!!! I love me some Js in white metal. Just bought one myself.
18.gif

Random question: Will whiter stones in the band make the center diamond look any less perfect? I don''t know myself.

Good question. I would like to know that myself.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 4:36:36 PM
I call SP and they stated the band is normally 1/2 mm wider on each side. Would this be enough to ya''ll? They stated it would be.
Question above: is 1/2mm on each aside enough to prevent rubbing?

Also, the answer to this

Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results