shape
carat
color
clarity

We went to the store to compare other diamonds and she simply loves the poorly cut one

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rleejones

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think,

I know that it is a poorly cut diamond but is it possible because of other dimensions for it to still have equivalent brilliance or are we just taken by the whole presentation of the diamond itself.

(refer to rleejones latest post)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you know she prefered the worse stone?

Maybe it has lessor proportions but better performance.

In rounds I can show you better looking AGS 7''s than some AGS 0''s

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RleeJones:

Compared to what... Is she comparing the performance of a truely excellent cut and a poor cut side by side. Or is she just comparing the Ideal-Scope immages of both cuts, but looking only at a poor cut one in the store.

Store lighting is designed to make even the worst diamond look good; thus a poor diamond in a store will look lots better than a picture of a great diamond on the web.

If it is a store diamond - how do you know that it really is cut great? Just because the averages work out on the HCA, please be advised that the diamond may have horrible symetry, polish, or a dozen other ways to "cheat" the diamond- and in fact looks horrible dispite the seemingly perfection of the averages.

Perry

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are talking about the princess with the large table, right ? In your other thread, "poor" versus "good" cut is relative to the AGA tables... Is it so here too?

Well, then this may explain a few things, since AGA does not predict brilliance and a set of off numbers can indeed make decent happen. At it's best, that stopne could be a bright fellow with not much fire, but still, a very bright diamond. So, why not ?

It takes quite a few more numbers than that to predict the light return of a princess cut at least as well as the HCA does for the rounds. There no such tool for princess cuts yet, so there is no way I can imagine what you have seen beyond your own description. But I can imagine why what you say can happen
2.gif

Here's an example from Jonathan's library: LINK - this one has even more extreme stats (88% table - flat face!) than yours and under direct light (that's what the Brilliance Scope does) reads ok: not tops, but no disaster either. Actually, it doesn't score any worse than this one with aparently nicet 73% depth & 71% table
8.gif
Meaning ? Those numbers are simply not enough.
I would expect that there will be some difference in favor of the second stone in diffuse light (office light, assuming stark white ceiling lights for "office"). In a shop, you probably observed those stones under strong direct light though.

Hope this 0.2 worth makes some sense...

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
jewelers can sell stones that are mounted al day long --its a lot harder to sell them loose. You are seeing the ring and not the stone I am afraid

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Cut - Princess
Weight 1.3 ct
Two Side Stones - .5 TCW (.25 each)
Color - F
Clarity - SI2
Measurements - 6.36X6.28X3.92
Depth - 62.5
Table - 81.0
Crown - 5.9
Pavillion - 53.8
Girdle Thin to Medium
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Fluorescence - None
Culet - None
Price - $5500.00

I copied and pasted so that others could have an idea of what you are talking about.

Did she tell you why she liked the stone? Has she seen others next to it (better ones). It is just that, by the numbers, this stone doesn''t seem like the best? It is possible that she just wants "A" ring, any ring will do, so she can show off to her family and friends that you guys are committed...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, it''s impossible to tell. Perhaps the other stones were more badly cut. Perhaps they looked smaller. Perhaps they were more yellow. So many reasons why she could have prefered this one. Still, if you''re not getting ripped off and she truly loves it, who cares if it''s not ideally-cut?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well said hest. and if she really loves it, isn''t that what it''s all about?

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I would say that if she is still talking about that one, you may have a winner. I don''t think most people who buy diamonds ever even know much about the cut -- and most diamonds I see around are stunning anyway. You can probably get a "better" cut stone, but if she is already in love with that one, I guess what can be better than finding that?

Like someone else said, she probably just cares about getting engaged right now, and that ring means it''ll be sooner rather than later. She probably doesn''t care THAT much about the details of the stone or the ring (
6.gif
gasp for all of us women on the forum!) -- she probably just cares about getting engaged to you.

So, I''d say, visit the ring again now that you''ve seen some others and had a chance to think about it. If the jeweler will let you, take it outside and make sure she likes it in natural light. Get a good return policy so you can look at it around the house and make sure it still sparkles there. If she still loves it after all that, I''d say it''s your ring.

You can struggle and struggle to find a perfect stone -- but the one you''ve found might be the right ring at the right time, and it sounds like she''ll be happy with it, so that''s all that matters.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results