shape
carat
color
clarity

Ways to keep cats stimulated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had Lola for about a month now, and I''m worried about her while I''m away at work. I''ve tried getting her toys (like the Cheese Chase, which she ignores, and the Boogie Mat, which she loves to nap on) but she really only likes chasing strings and the laser pointer, and her catnip mouse. I''m concerned that she''s not stimulated enough and that I''m risking her being unhappy because she''s home alone.

How do you all keep your cats stimulated while they''re home alone? I know cats sleep a lot, but I want her to have things to do while I''m out of the house. I want life to be exciting and fun for her. She''s got a place to live and somebody who loves her, but that''s not really enough to have an exciting, fulfilling life.

I would really appreciate any ideas.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
How old is she? It may not be too late to get her a playmate. Seriously, cats are so much better in twos. I didn't want to believe it when I first got Morty because I had a small apt and didn't think it would be fair to have two cats, but by the time Morty was one, I could tell that he NEEDED a buddy. No matter how much attention I'd give him, it wasn't enough.

Anyway, I spent a LOT of time at home this past semester (teaching evenings) which involved plenty of kitty observation in the day - trust me, it's QUITE the life! You say that you're worried about your kitty having a happy, active life - trust me, they, do! Let me tell you how jealous I am of my cats. My cats' schedule is this:

7am Wake up and eat
7:05-8:30 Watch birds outside of the window
9am snooze upstairs in my bed
4:05pm wake up, watch birds
4:15 start whining for dinner
4:30 PLAYTIME/bird watching
5pm Petting time/brushing
5:30 Playtime again -
7pm Eat and make rounds around the house, chase each other
etc....

Kitties truly are nocturnal animals. If you're really worried about a kitten, get her a friend, but honestly, what's important is making sure you play and wear her out in the evenings when you're home.

You can try some automated toys, but honestly they break easily and just eat batteries. And, if she's super young, she may not be into catnip yet. My kitties LOVE to boogie :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adopt more cats.

That''s what we did, and it worked wonders!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree as a general rule. Some cats really are ONLY cats... Noel (cat in my AV is one) and I knew a few at the shelter... but much of the time they do better in pairs. Duncan, who is my baby, and can do virtually no wrong in my eyes was just bored out of his mind when he was an only cat... when we got Frodo he just seemed much healthier.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand your concerns, I felt the same way till I had a few days off work once and really got to see "Boo''s Days" up close and personal! Aye Yi Yi!!! What a lazeeeee skalawag!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Seriously, cats sleep A LOT! Like crazy lots. I think I read that they sleep the most of any mammal... up to something like 16 - 20 hours a day (or some other ungodly number!) is normal!

That being said, though, I do understand your desire to keep Lola stimulated while you are not home. You can try hiding some treats around... sprinkling some catnip here or there, rotating her toys, and scattering a few out and around at a time.

Make sure she has several comfy window perches, with different "views"... Boo''s front window faces the bird bath and his back window faces the bird feeders. Also, you could try those Cat Sitter DVDs, I know some cats LOVE them (unfortunately, Boo isn''t one of them). Leave music on some days. Call home and talk to her once in a while on the answering machine (yes, I do that!!!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
)

I "hide" feathers under throw rugs, and when I come home, they are gone and somewhere else, so I know he likes that. I also have a few of those "hang-from-the-door" toys that he bats around.

Lots of days DD brings over her cat for the day, and when we get home, nine times out of ten, they are both just snoozing away on the bed or in a sunbeam! I am telling you, those guys just NEVER get a DARN THING DONE!
1.gif

BabyBoo_12a1.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Lynn, what a cute picture. The epitome of cat harmony.

I leave treat games out for Holly. I take a tp cardboard tube, close off the ends, cut holes in the sides, and put treats inside. She has to bat the thing around to get treats out. I also put up bird feeders outside so they have entertainment to watch. These seem to work really well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such cute cats, Lynn. It must be wonderful to be a kitty. Eat, sleep, play. . .

Catnip is the ultimate stimulant!!! lol One of my cats loves it, the other furry baby would rather just lay around. He''s only a couple years old, but pretty much just needs to veg!

For my cats, they really love when I leave the windows cracked open so they can look around, hear activities, AND sniff the outside. They were indoor/outdoor cats before we moved, so now that they''re inside they still need a taste of the outside.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for cat DVD''s. I have several cat-mom friends who swear by them.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 3:40:27 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Another vote for cat DVD''s. I have several cat-mom friends who swear by them.
Add me to that list...I have Catsitter vol. I and II and the cats love them. Holly climbs up next to the tv and swats the animals on it. LOL.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the proof. Catsitter I was on.
9.gif

hollycs.jpg

dendon

Shiny_Rock
My cat is an only child and the days I am home from work, I barely see her, spends a ton of time sleeping!! She is very attentive when I get home from work, waiting by the door for me and wants to be petted for around 5 minutes, then goes on her merry way, not to be bothered again until she wants to. Love her though!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 3:49:03 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Here''s the proof. Catsitter I was on.
9.gif
OHMYWORD! That is SO HILARIOUS, FG!!!
36.gif
I LOVE it!!!

Boo shows NO interest in TV, whatsoever... which is too bad because I would buy those DVDs for him in a minute.

Sometimes I leave Animal Planet on for him while I am gone, but I know that I''m really just wasting electricity... he''s usually *sound asleep* in another room when I get home!!!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I''ll try the catsitter DVDs. I was also thinking about getting a battery powered radio (a good idea anyways) and leaving it on every now and then.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
We're big fans of the empty box or paper bag chez pjean. Especially if it contains something that rattles or smells interesting. There's currently an empty toilet roll in a cardboard box that is attracting lots of attention. Plus, since the box is quite large and I have several cats, the outside cat gets a bonus toy - a box that is making nifty sounds and possibly moving across the floor! Exciting!

My cats couldn't care less about the TV, but my roommate's deaf cat loves it. She likes shiny lights too, and will stare at the wall for (literally) hours waiting for cars to come by and make lights move in the right spot. She's a little whacked.

Cats, interestingly, are not actually nocturnal. They're crepuscular - they're most active at dawn and dusk. That's why they have those incredibly annoying bursts of activity around 4 am. I have a cat who, I swear, can make a racket with kleenex.
20.gif
When the sun starts to come up, she finds the noisiest thing available.

Also: cutest picture EVER.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Oh those picture are sooo cute-One cracks me up and the other one makes me very sleepy. What cuties! Those are such neat ideas too.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results