shape
carat
color
clarity

Wax molds vs the final product

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
I have a question for those of you that have ordered a custom ring online. Has there been a problem trying to look at pictures of a wax mold of the ring before they actually make it in metal? Did the ring turn out how you expected based on the mold? I''m just trying to gauge how well the mold replicates the final product and if there are any issues with not actually having the ring to inspect before buying it. Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know it is common practice in uSA, But i would never dream of showing a client a wax.

Even we experianced people think waxes are too fine and delicate and we are constantly amazed at how much heavier looking the real thing is.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Crash,

A wax is not a ring.
A photograph is not a wax.

These two combine to leave all kinds of areas for confusion and misunderstandings. I think you will have better luck looking at a rendering (a drawing) of the expected finished piece. Skilled metalworkers are not necessarily skilled drawers but this has always seemed to be a good way to communicate the plans whenever possible. CAD is great for this if it’s the appropriate approach to your design. In most cases, the difference between a well done wax and a poorly done one are extremely difficult to pick up even when you can examine it in person and the wax is only one step in the process of making the final piece. Make sure that both you and the jeweler understand the objectives at the beginning and then let them make the piece. If you must see the wax, have them send it to you for examination. Special note: Be careful, they’re fragile and you may get charged if you break it.

I think it’s a mistake to try to do a wax approval via photographs.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results