shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon tourmaline found!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We were at the mall and I smelled gemstones nearby. There was a stand in the middle of the hall with a bunch of cheapcostume jewelry in it, and I looked in the glass and saw a large gem box of gemstones. I looked closer and they were all tourmalines. I asked about them and he said they were amethysts....ummm...I told him amethysts arnt green, pink, and blue. He swore they were amethysts and then said he doesnt know much about gemstones his sister brings them over from pakastan and he uses them as decoration in his stand.

OK! My kinda guy, doesnt know gemstones! I picked up the watermelon tourmaline and asked him what he would sell it for. He said 60$. I told him I would pay 10$ for it. After much descussion (mainly me giving a reverse sales pitch) he agreed to 10$.

I have been looking for one of these FOREVER! It is moderately included, but as far as watermelon tourmalines go it isnt too bad. I took it down the hall to a jewelry store I go to and use their equiptment (scopes, scales ect...I occasionally give the workers free gemstones as a thanks) and it weighed in at 1ct exactly and is a natural unheated stone.

t7746644.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
finger shot

t89948.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Booty shot magnified by 15x.

t77377.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tropics.. I am glad your excited about it! Honestly, I can''t imagine paying the asking price of $60 for it!!!
38.gif
Good thing you talked him down to $10....

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No kidding! I told him its an included stone and most I will pay is 10$. Thats when he said OK. I like it and it looks neat sitting next to my pink and blue tourmalines.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I cant find it in his stock. I dont set the stones...so not to worried about it. I thought it was an interesting stone and a low price!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pretty tourmaline!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 7:05:47 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
I cant find it in his stock. I dont set the stones...so not to worried about it. I thought it was an interesting stone and a low price!
just click on the link.... I figured you didn''t buy it to set it........... but you don''t set "any" stones?? I need to wear stones to appreciate them if they are setting worthy.......!!
9.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I did but it just shows pictures...no price or anything..? I havnt set anything so far. There a couple I want to set but just havnt decided how. I have a BEAUTIFUL champagne/chocolate diamond I have been wanting to make into a ring. Gold prices are just WAY too much right now.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2009 8:04:34 PM
Author: Tropicgal10

I did but it just shows pictures...no price or anything..? I havnt set anything so far. There a couple I want to set but just havnt decided how. I have a BEAUTIFUL champagne/chocolate diamond I have been wanting to make into a ring. Gold prices are just WAY too much right now.

Attempting to fix the link. Link

I think $10 is fine for just about any stone, but I gotta say, that is a very pale shade of watermelon.

ETA - Another attempt that shows the price. Link

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
You have sharp eyes! Even if it''s not the highest quality stone, it''s surely an interesting story and worth $10!

Laura

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I smell them, LOL. They could be under something and I would ask the sales person to pull them out. Like a gemstone magnet. And for some reason certain stone ''call to me'' ya know? Even if they arnt perfect I just gotta have it.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Funny! "Sherlock Stones...."

My local jewelry store has a gorgeous piece of watermelon tourmaline mounted as a pendant. They''ve been helping to educate me on stones when I go in (and they have time...this time of year that''s getting shorter!). This was one they pointed out to me, which is the only reason I would know it!

Laura

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Interesting find and you can''t beat the price.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully Tourmaline fans will chime in but I think that''s a bi-colour Tourmaline as opposed to a Watermelon Tourmaline. I think that a watermelon tourmaline has a red inner and green outer ring - just like the fruit. When the gem is pink at one end and green at the other I think that''s a bi-colour.

Mind you for $10 I bet you don''t care what it''s called
9.gif

Here''s what I''ve always thought is called a watermelon:

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 6:39:08 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Hopefully Tourmaline fans will chime in but I think that''s a bi-colour Tourmaline as opposed to a Watermelon Tourmaline. I think that a watermelon tourmaline has a red inner and green outer ring - just like the fruit. When the gem is pink at one end and green at the other I think that''s a bi-colour.

9.gif

I''m not a expert, but I agree with you LD, that is what I would call a watermelon tourmaline. Very pretty setting. Is it yours??

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 6:42:23 PM
Author: mochi

9.gif

I''m not a expert, but I agree with you LD, that is what I would call a watermelon tourmaline. Very pretty setting. Is it yours??
No Mochi - strangely it''s one gem not in my collection! I think I may have to rectify that!!! I just pulled this photo off the internet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ding ding!
36.gif
LD is correct; a watermelon tourmaline is where it''s like a watermelon. Pink center with a green outer rind. What Tropicgal has is a bi-coloured tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 6:44:02 PM

Date: 11/29/2009 6:42:23 PM
Author: mochi

9.gif

No Mochi - strangely it''s one gem not in my collection! I think I may have to rectify that!!! I just pulled this photo off the internet.
OMG- there''s actually a stone you do not have???!!! Fainting from shock!!
23.gif
lol!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah well. I still like it :). He had another that was a true watermelon tourmaline I am guessing. I would have snagged that one but it had a HUGE chip in the face of the stone. It was super cool though...it was an emerald cut with pink running through the middle and green on the top and bottom of the stone like a sandwich. Pity about the chip.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dan Stair's newest stone is a tourmaline that he refers to as watermelon. Link So, you aren't alone, Tropicgal.

He writes: STONE: Watermelon Tourmaline
WEIGHT: 1.35 Cts.
CUT: Elongated Step Triangle
DIMENSIONS: 7.86 x 9.42 mm
ORIGIN: Nigeria
COLOR: Pink and Green
CLARITY: Very Good++ (Eye Clean, Nearly Flawless)
TREATMENT: None
PRICE (U.S. Dollars): $135

In person, the pink is s little lighter, and the green a little greener and less goldish looking. This is a very clean stone for a bi-color tourmaline. Usually, there would be eye visible inclusions where the color transitions, but not with this one.

NewRockWatermelonStair.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
That''s a neat stone Flygirl!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I thought a watermelon tourmaline was pink and green in color, no matter which direction it is cut in? The one in the picture is just cut in a different direction? Pretty either way
1.gif

Fly Girl, holy cow, I want that one!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know who got that tourm of Dan''s...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 2:50:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Ever the tease, huh, Freke?!?
2.gif
I figured it wouldn''t last long. It is a very pretty and striking stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 2:16:06 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I thought a watermelon tourmaline was pink and green in color, no matter which direction it is cut in? The one in the picture is just cut in a different direction? Pretty either way
1.gif

Fly Girl, holy cow, I want that one!!!
Yes and no!!! How clear is that lol!

I believe that the title "watermelon" tourmaline should only be applied where the gem (usually sliced through) resembles a watermelon. However, you quite often see people refer to it when a gem is bi coloured and half pink half green. Technically that''s bi-colour.

Looking at Dan''s stone, it''s bi-colour but as it has the same colour top and bottom (presumably green from his description) and pink in the middle he''s calling it watermelon. Actually it''s a very very beautiful stone so if a lucky PS''er has it, please ''fess up!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:01:13 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 11/30/2009 2:50:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Ever the tease, huh, Freke?!?
2.gif
I figured it wouldn''t last long. It is a very pretty and striking stone.
You know it!

I think so too. And it''s the very same shape as a gem that is coming my way shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results