shape
carat
color
clarity

watch regrets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I hate cheap watches, to my mind, why pair beautiful jewelry with a cheap watch? It''s an accessory too. That said, I have two watches, both are nice, not cheap like Timex, but not in the upscale end either. I have a Movado I got at Costco and love -- it''s my dress watch, I love it because it''s so thin. It cost less than $300. I also have a Coach (made by Movado) watch that retails for around $400, but I got mine for $75 used on Ebay. It''s definitely not a fake, and it''s the watch I wear the most.

Oh, I have a third watch that I hate hate hate, it''s a Tag Huer (sp) that my then boyfriend gave me as a gift. I wore it for ten years and hated every minute, then thankfully the band broke and we found it would cost as much to fix as the watch originally cost.

My dream watch is an Ebel.

Ladykemma, I hope you grow to enjoy your lovely watch more and not feel guilty about it. Raymond Weil watches are really nice!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I doubt I''d spend a few thousand on a watch... not at this age anyway... but I have a handmade bracelet watch that I ADORE. It''s sterling silver with squares of lapis bezel set and hinged together with a toggle clasp. I spent a few hundred on it during a vacation a few years ago and it still makes me as happy today as when I first spotted it in the case. Of course, being sterling, it''s delicate and I''ve had to have it repaired a few times. Just noticed that one of the links in the chain to the toggle has cracked so I had to squeeze it together with pliers until the next visit to a jeweler... and the crystal has cracked... need to get that replaced... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT still and the money I spent on it was well spent. My $60 fossil doesn''t give me this kind of pleasure!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 1:09:31 PM
Author: portoar
Ladykemma, I hope you grow to enjoy your lovely watch more and not feel guilty about it. Raymond Weil watches are really nice!
well, i don''t feel guilty, i just feel "nothing". usually when i wear my diamonds or my mikimoto pearls i can''''t take my eyes off them and they give me joy. with the watch i feel nothing.

i think i will get a yellow gold watch next time. i hate hate hate white gold and i let the saleslady talk me into buying the two tone so i could wear both metals.

now i am pleased to learn that this is rather a cool watch, now that i know about sapphire crystals, and from a gemologist that they are indeed rather spiff. this helps.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I know how you feel -- I don''t like white gold either for jewelry. Strangely, though, I prefer white metal for my watches. My Movado has a two tone face (mostly white metal with gold accents) and a black strap. My other watch has a silver face and a black strap.

I never feel like my watches are clashing with my other jewelry.

sunflowers

Rough_Rock
SuzyQZ:

I''d like to get a watch with a 14K gold bracelet. I don''t mind if it''s a "no name brand". Could you please tell me where I can get a "no name" Italian gold watch?

Thanks.

sunflowers

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady K. - If you don't enjoy your watch then you should get one that you do enjoy! I have the "basic" two-tone rolex (I think the real name is the Oyster Perpetual Datejust, or some crazy thing like that) and I LOVE it. Wear it with everything from blue jeans to ball gowns. It is true that if you don't wear it regularly it will stop working because of the perpetual motion mechanism (have not idea how it works...). One thing about the sapphire faces, they are great but not *indestructable*. I scratched my original face somehow, then knocked the watch face down on the marble floor of my bathroom and broke the face (it didn't shatter off but watching the hands chase the little pieces around inside face until it finally ran down what just so *sad*... ), and now I've somehow got a tiny scratch on the new face too. (New five years ago, but you get the picture.)

Seriously, get a different watch. Can you sell your current one to put toward a new one? Or trade it form some value toward the new one? Don't know where you got it but some places will take an old watch in trade if they also have a resale business.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you''re right. I don''t love it.
Right now we''re on a spending moratorium, but when cash reserves build back up, i will sell it and buy the yellow gold one I wanted in the first place.

Thanks!

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
I could never understand expensive watches until my husband bought me a Rolex!
I have the two toned gold and stainless with a champagne face.
Over the past few years I have upgraded my Rolex with a diamond set bezel and a dial set with a diamond at each hour.
I love my watch as much as any other piece of jewelry I have!
I wear it day and night,I only remove it to shower.
By the way, any of you Rolex wearers, there is a great place in NYC to upgrade your watch-- Renaissance Watches on 47 th street-- ask for Michael!

Diamond Diva

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
dee jay, not thread jacking but there are these gizmos that you put the rolex on when you are not wearing it and it helps it by moving continually so the watch does not stop. most jewelry stores sell them and I think rolex recommends it...just FYI!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love nice watches. SuzyQ, I have that cartier style watch but in stainless steel. I don''t like how yellow gold looks with my platinum rings. Thats my dress watch.

For everyday, I alternate between a Movado stainless steel with a white face (one that has numbers on it I can''t read no nmber watches) and a Baume and Mercier stainless stell with a baby blue face. I love this one, its a small tank style and so elegant.

So I guess they are midlevel high. The Cartier was a gift from my late grandfather. He gave it to me After I had my 4th child, shortly before he passed away.

The other 2 watches, one was a gift from hubby a few years back and the Baume and Mercier one I got myself.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
One more question, Movado makes Coach watches? I did not know that! I have 2 coach watches that I bought at the coach outlet store. So they are movado? They don''t have the sapphire crystal though. I don''t think they do??

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 12:17:09 AM
Author: diamondfan
dee jay, not thread jacking but there are these gizmos that you put the rolex on when you are not wearing it and it helps it by moving continually so the watch does not stop. most jewelry stores sell them and I think rolex recommends it...just FYI!
Like this? Time Cube

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple of watchers that were around $200 that I never wear. I think one''s a Citizen and the other is Bulova. A few years ago I decided to go watchless and like the look so much better. I find that I don''t really even miss not being able to glance down at the time. Of course, I have a desk job with the computer telling me the time which is different from my student days when it really mattered. And when I''m on "MY" time, I don''t care to watch the clock that much. Besides, if I really cared what time it was, I''d just dig my cell phone out of my purse to see its clock.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 1:18:26 PM
Author: Christa

Date: 8/23/2006 12:17:09 AM
Author: diamondfan
Like this? Time Cube

I know there are a few different manufacturers...they make them to hold one or you can buy the multiple holder if you have more than one watch that needs to move constantly. They can be expensive, and they look like nice boxes sometimes, so it is nice to have on the dresser. My only issue is I lock up all my stuff and could not fit one of those in my wall safe. I would be afraid to leave a really nice watch just sitting out...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 2:50:05 PM
Author: IslandDreams
I have a couple of watchers that were around $200 that I never wear. I think one''s a Citizen and the other is Bulova. A few years ago I decided to go watchless and like the look so much better. I find that I don''t really even miss not being able to glance down at the time. Of course, I have a desk job with the computer telling me the time which is different from my student days when it really mattered. And when I''m on ''MY'' time, I don''t care to watch the clock that much. Besides, if I really cared what time it was, I''d just dig my cell phone out of my purse to see its clock.
that''s interesting. i know a lot of young people use the phone for time.

for me, as a school teacher, we arre forbidden to show or have a cell phone while at school. so i have to have a watch.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Diamondfan and Christa. I think I''ll look into one of these!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 9:11:52 AM
Author: asscherisme
One more question, Movado makes Coach watches? I did not know that! I have 2 coach watches that I bought at the coach outlet store. So they are movado? They don''t have the sapphire crystal though. I don''t think they do??
I can''t find the watch case/booklet at the moment, but yes, I believe they are made by Movado. I don''t know whether they have the sapphire crystal.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I understand the beauty of a well-made mechanical watch. I wouldn''t pay 20k for it, but I get it. If I had it I would buy FI up to a 5k watch. I think he should get eqiuv amt of money on a watch as I would on jewelry.

I HATE most blingy watches (for myself, of course). I just don''t like throwing perfectly good diamonds on a watch. My favorite watches are Lange&Sonne :) Old-school vintage Omegas are a close second. Hate Rolex in general.

My favorite *affordable* watches are Seikos. FI got mine for 60.00 off overstock.com (retail 300 plus ) Love that website! It''s quartz, but you can''t have everything.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
LK, why are you forbidden to *show* a cell? bad example or somesuch?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
they used to be expressly forbidden but since columbine, allowed if put away in backpack

it''s really distracting to be teaching and the kids are texting each other, or worse, texting each other answers on a test. they are a distraction that keeps them off their lessons. so, no cell phones during school. turned off. period.

and this goes for us too. it''s really unprofessional to be teaching and YOUR cell phone goes off.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
I have K18 rolex with 10 point and diamond bazel, Frank M.etc ( my DH gave to me even I was not intresting with watch)
but I don''t wear it all. I usual wearing $28 watch
1.gif

Joane

Rough_Rock
I love watches and especially vintage watches, but I wear a stainless Rolex Oyster I got 22 years ago. It''s totally carefree. You don''t have to worry about if it gets wet and it is very robust. (I bang into things a lot.) My ring is white gold, matte finish like the watch band. I do wear a plain yellow gold chain bracelet next to the watch all the time, and mix yellow and white jewelry every day. Sometimes I wear a vintage watch for a couple of days but I always come back to the Rolex. It''s like a security blanket.

That said, since I got that Rolex, the price has more than tripled. I would not spend that amount on a watch today but would be satisfied with a nice vintage watch--I''d just have to be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results