shape
carat
color
clarity

Washington DC Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

faces11

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Is there any benefit to buying in Virginia or Maryland as opposed to DC? Is there any way to save on taxes?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have it shipped out of state you can avoid taxes, but not if you go into a B&M store and just buy it. You''d have to have it shipped.

faces11

Rough_Rock
Ok, sorry for the repeat question, but I want to be sure of what you are saying.
41.gif

If I go into a store in DC and have it shipped to a non-DC address I can avoid taxes? Or do I have to go to a non-DC store and have it shipped anywhere?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 6:39:17 AM
Author: faces11
Ok, sorry for the repeat question, but I want to be sure of what you are saying.
41.gif

If I go into a store in DC and have it shipped to a non-DC address I can avoid taxes? Or do I have to go to a non-DC store and have it shipped anywhere?
Either technically assuming that the store DOES NOT have a presence in DC. So say you have a Bob's Jewelers in DC, you can't just go to the one in MD and have it shipped to DC. You'll still be charged tax because the store has a physical presence in DC too.

But say if you go to NYC and buy something from GOG or ERD and have it shipped to DC, you won't pay taxes because they don't have stores in DC.

But remember that doing this is technically illegal, as you are then supposed to turn around and pay sales tax to the state you live in anyway. But I've never seen anyone penalized for this realistically...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results