shape
carat
color
clarity

Was it a mistake to get a diamond at a B&M?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Before my FI proposed to me, I knew I wanted an asscher. So he bought a loose one from a B&M. The stats are as follows. I don''t know what the cut is rated at.

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: February 20, 2007
Square Emerald Cut
Measurements: 5.60 x 5.56 x 3.70 mm
Carat Weight: 1.02
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VVS1
Proportions:
Depth: 66.5 %
Table: 62 %
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

What do you think is a good price for this diamond?

Man I wish I discovered pricescope sooner.

Also, what should I expect in terms of prices to get the diamond set? I originally wanted to get a diamond that was smaller than 1c so we could afford to get saphire baquettes on either side of the center stone set in platnum, but now I am thinking I should get a solataire platnum setting until we could afford the rest of the ring.

Everybody''s advice is much appreciated. TIA

g

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about emerald cuts but I had another question. Is the stone still under a reurn policy or is there an upgrade option?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not very knowledgable about square emeralds either (what a lot of help we are, huh?) lol Doing a quick PS vendor search, prices ranged from $4500-6000. How much did your boyfriend pay, including tax?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of cut, what you have posted doesn''t seem bad at all. In fact, everything sounds like it could well be a dazzler. Of course, I don''t know the crown height, vvs1 is overkill but all in all, the stats look good. Any chance of pictures to see the step faceting? A magnified top down view would be nice.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Forgive me for being new here. What''s a B&M?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B&M = Brick & Mortar (an actual store made of brick and mortar which has a showroom with all those wonderful spotlights versus an online place which is usually just an office with safes).

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
heraanderson - We got the diamond from our friend''s jeweler. I''m sure they would upgrade, but I don''t think they will take the return.

MC- yes the diamond is a dazzler, I will try to post pictures of the stone soon. I can''t seem to get a good shot of it. I guess that can be taken as a good sign. How would I find the crown measurements? The cost of diamond including tax was $6500.

Thanks again.

g

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
Nothing wrong with the ole B&M stores. They are a fun experience and there is nothing intrinsicly wrong with shopping at them any more then there would be at an online retailer. The chances of getting scammed/not buying a good stone are equal and again fall on you.

My question has nothing to do with angels, it is this--IS THE STONE PRETTY TO YOU?

If so, then, " angles? We don''t need no stinkin angles!"

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 2:45:21 PM
Author: gtn
heraanderson - We got the diamond from our friend''s jeweler. I''m sure they would upgrade, but I don''t think they will take the return.

MC- yes the diamond is a dazzler, I will try to post pictures of the stone soon. I can''t seem to get a good shot of it. I guess that can be taken as a good sign. How would I find the crown measurements? The cost of diamond including tax was $6500.

Thanks again.

g
If the diamond is a dazzler, then enjoy. Don''t worry about the details.

It isn''t too hard to find great diamonds at many B&Ms as long as you know what to look for and are willing to be firm when talking to sales people. I found amazing AGS00s at a few stores, and basically the only significant difference between those on ones online is the cost. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Congrats on your engagement.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. I was looking online after we got the diamond and saw prices lower than what we paid, but I forgot to take into consideration tax and at 8.5% sales tax it does add up. Also, I do love that diamond and more importantly, I love the man who bought it for me. My gf who has a 1.5c princess cut center stone 1c tw side stones vvs1, e color diamond ring is now drooling over my diamond.... and she has a gorgeous sparkler.

I will post pictures soon!

=g

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Right now by searching the vendors on PS there is a 1.02 asscher E SI1 for $6120 and a 1.03 F VS2 for $6306 so I dont think you were necessarily ripped off by anymeans. Tax on either of these would put you very close to what was spent on yours. A thick girdle could take away from it slightly but to answer your question, I dont think you could have done a LOT better for what you got.

Enjoy it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results