shape
carat
color
clarity

Was I scammed by Shenoa & Co. too??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunsail

Rough_Rock
I am really distressed reading all of these negative posts about Shenoa & Co. since my husband gave me a pair of diamond studs for my birthday from, guess where, Shenoa & Co. last fall. They came with GIA certs and I also ran them by the appraiser we''ve been using for other jewelry. They looked at them briefly under the microscope and checked for fluoresence and basically said the stones matched the GIA certs without going into too much detail. Also my husband bought them in the store so he saw what he was getting.

Anyway, 4 months later I am confessing that these earrings have been disappointing because despite their seeming great credentials (1.37 and 1.36, 59.5% & 61.6% depths, 60% & 60% tables, med-slightly thick & thin-med. girdles, very small & no culet, VS2 & VS2, both I color) they appear uniformly white and flat compared to my engagement ring, for example.

Is this because of bad cut? The crown & pavillion angles aren''t included in the GIA reports. Is this a case of not enough homework and not enough information?

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have on why these stones are not "lighting my fire".

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it sounds like it's probably cut quality...

typically pre-set earrings are not going to be the best cut stones...that's why i like to buy loose stones and set them...having had badly cut earrings to begin with, now i would take smaller stones that were better cut because they just plain LOOK BETTER.

sorry to hear you are sad about your earring performance, can you try to get another set knowing more about specs this time around through S&Co?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 3:12:56 PM
Author:sunsail

Is this because of bad cut? The crown & pavillion angles aren''t included in the GIA reports. Is this a case of not enough homework and not enough information?
yep

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sunsail welcome
35.gif
Storm and Mara are right, it is probably cut quality, however with earrings keep them as clean as you can as they do get dirty so quickly, that will help them look better and brighter for you. One of our posters cleans hers every time she wears them, it is a good way to get the best from earrings as hairproducts and stuff can dull them very quickly, even if they have a great cut. VERY nice size by the way!

sunsail

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding. You know, these were loose stones that they set, but still - I don''t think my husband was armed with anything beyond depth & table %''s to go on. Shenoa has a "100% lifetime upgrade" policy so maybe we can go back and yes, probably find something smaller but more brilliant for virtually the same amount. (I wonder what their definition of "upgrade" is going to mean - will they have a minimum amount they want us to spend over what my earrings cost?).

Thanks again for your feedback.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds as if the diamonds are dirty and need a good ultrasonic bath. It is unusual to select decent diamonds and find they don''t look good later on unless they have become coated with powder and oils. I suggest a good cleaning before becoming too distressed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also as Dave suggests with the cleaning, if this doesn''t do the trick ( try ammonia one third to 2 thirds hot water is my fave recipe) see if a jeweller can give them a professional cleaning as this can often make a lot of difference, then just maintain them.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
"Scam" is a pretty harsh word. It sounds as if your husband received what he thought he was getting. That might be poor judgment, but it''s not a scam.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
He didn't get scammed. Good thing that they have an upgrade policy. With the knowledge you have now you can go to their store and buy a better pair that has an excellent cut. Dave is right keeping them clean is key. Buy an ultrasonic cleaner, you'll be amazed at how clean it gets your stones and all your other jewelry.
2.gif

Shenoa_and_Co

Rough_Rock
Hi ! It does sound like they need a good cleaning, which we can do professionally FREE of charge. Please stop by the store 7 days a week. You are also welcome to upgrade them, but quite frankly you would probably need to go up 2 color grades to see any difference. The cut proportions are well within excepted standards for "premium cut" diamonds. We will also give you a jar of cleaning solution upon your visit at no cost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results