shape
carat
color
clarity

WARNING - "Free" Cleanings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just got back from a lovely weekend but something terrible happened to a friend of mine & I wanted to warn other people in the hopes it saves people a lot of trouble & heartache!!!

A few of us were at an outlet mall & we went into a clearance center of a national jewelry chain. A nice guy offered to clean my ring but I declined because of the teensy bead-set pave. Then a few minutes later he offered to clean my friend''s gorgeous three stone emerald ring. She accepted & they started talking about how platinum patinas & he offered to buff it as well. First, he said, he''d check to see if all the stones were tight. (Keep in mind -- there are only three stones & they are all large ... not likely to drop out in an ultrasonic cleaner). He comes back, tells us the stones are all tight & a few minutes later presents the shiny new buffed e-ring & wedding band. They were brand new looking. We were so dazzled by the shine we didn''t notice anything else. He gave us his card re: some earrings I''d been asking about and we left.

This morning my friend noticed a chip on her center Emerald stone. Right near the prong. Right where he would have been "testing" the prongs. She took it to a jeweler in the Resort where we were staying, and they looked at w/loupe & microscope & told her it was probably chipped during the "prong test". That buffing machines are all velvet ... and that the ultrasonic couldn''t have done it. That it was probably human error. She came back to the room & told us the sad situation.

Don''t worry -- she has insurance on the ring ... but it''s her original engagement stone & very very nice ... VVS1 etc ... the chip wasn''t a preexisting flaw inside the stone. It''s a chip/scuff/cleave of a layer right off the table near the prong. AWFUL!!! I let her know what little I know about re-polishing stones or recutting if possible if she is so attached to it she can''t deal with replacement ...

SO -- WARNING WARNING WARNING ... "free" cleaning is really a stranger poking at your precious with metal objects. DON''T DO IT!!!!

p.s. -- I know I know you''ll all say to go back to the store & confront the guy etc .. but she chose not to do that. The lawyer in our group and I both URGED her to go & at least SEE what they''d offer to do for her -- seeing it has been less that twelve hours since the damage, and we were hours away from home on vacation - so it would be difficult to get back there in person. We know his name, we have his card, I was a witness to the entire transaction as was my sister ... perhaps her insurance company will pursue a settlement with the store. I''m just SICK about it! I even feel guilty because we''d never have been in that stupid store if I wasn''t checking out the diamond earrings for my new piercings.
7.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Oh deco, it''s not your fault at all that this happened! It sounds like the salesperson was untrained and negligent. He probably didn''t even realise he''d chipped that beautiful diamond. I feel so sorry for your poor sister. It must be heartbreaking
7.gif

She really should go back and see what they can do to make up for this. At any rate, she deserves an apology and an explanation.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it is not your fault. I hope that your friend can get some sort of compensation here. That is terrible, she must be so upset.

sera

Ideal_Rock
OH that's horrible!!!
29.gif
Thank you for the warning!
38.gif

Hopefully the insurance co. will pursue something because he should not get away with that!
29.gif
Especially because the stone has sentimental value! So sad!
7.gif
Perhaps, like you said, something could be done with it.

Someone should poke his head and check for loose parts.
12.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful! I can''t believe they would stick a delicate emerald in a US machine.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, this is SO not your fault! I''m very sorry this happened to your friend, and I agree that she should have confronted the guy when she had the chance, but please don''t blame yourself for this happening.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes. Thanks for the warning. I''m so sorry about your friend''s engagement ring. That''s terrible! I hope she can learn to love a new center stone if that''s what she decides to do...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! ((I didn''t mean to make this about *me* & my guilt pangs.
5.gif
) And ... just to clarify .. it was an three stone Emerald CUT diamond ring ... not emeralds. Such a gorgeous ring too! Created specially for her and about eight years old.
7.gif

AIIIGHHH ... its always something you know! It was such a great weekend and then that! Something totally innocent and nice that turns into such a mess. The guy at the store was so friendly & helpful and now it all has a sinister pall to it. I mean .. he HAD to know he chipped it, right? So everything thing happened afterwards was just to cover up & hope she didn''t notice -- distracted by all the freshly polished metal & still wet stones.

*I* thought about it my whole four hour drive home and it didn''t even happen to *me* ... Can only imagine how she felt.
39.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry deco. Even more for your emerald cut friend. What a shame.

It is unfortunate that your friend has to bear this lesson for the rest of us...but yours is sage advice.

DKS

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for clarifying on the emerald but that is still horrible her stone got damaged. I can''t believe they would treat it so carelessly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes! That''s terrible! Thank god it''s insured!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is awful! Your poor friend. I am not sure what I would have done in the situation either. Good thing she has insurance.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm I wonder if a 'free cleaning' typically includes prong testing at all jewelers. When I have taken my ring into random jewelers before they just clean it. But I do also do get my prongs checked every few months at my local jeweler, but I take it in and request it. Seems like if they did anything to it or something happened while they had it, doubt I could really do much as I requested they prong test it. Unfortunately, anything could happen anytime you let someone else handle your ring, that is why having insurance is so fabulous. Sorry to hear about your friend's ring...I hope she can get it repolished or replaced and it'll be like it never happened! Actually, I wonder if maybe the guy didn't know that he chipped it...would he have given you his card to come back for earrings if he did? Maybe he was just really clueless and not malicious. What a drag though...ugh!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Deco-This makes me cringe....it is just awful
29.gif

If this happened to me I would be so upset and sad. I hope your friend is doing better, all things considered!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2007 12:18:10 AM
Author: marcyc
Thanks for clarifying on the emerald but that is still horrible her stone got damaged. I can''t believe they would treat it so carelessly.
HI:

Oh people are! I recall, shortly after I getting my new ER, I went into high-end store X and knew the gal who asked if she could clean my ring. I said yes, yet thought the better of it b/c I thought she might not be so careful as I; and sure enough she drops my ring into the u/s (from a distance of 3 inches)--and I didn''t knw whether there was a basket there or not. I was mortified! Face down it went, glug glug glug hitting that hard metal bottom. I ususally take the basket out of mine and place my items in first, then put the basket back in. That was the LAST time I let anyone clean my ring.

So sorry for your friend''s grief and trouble.

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 1:40:31 AM
Author: Mara
Hmm I wonder if a ''free cleaning'' typically includes prong testing at all jewelers.
I got the feeling that this guy was really eager & loves diamonds ... that he loves to see the rings close up & play with them. Maybe fancies himself a bit of a jeweler instead of a salesman?? I wonder if that''s why he "tests" prongs instead of just cleaning ...

I wonder if maybe the guy didn''t know that he chipped it...would he have given you his card to come back for earrings if he did? Maybe he was just really clueless and not malicious.
The weirdest part was that he was SO NICE -- it''s hard to replay that whole thing back with him perhaps knowing what he''d done. No one else touched her ring. He was the only one helping us & everything he did he did in plain sight. There was no "backroom" etc. Granted -- we were distracted w/my earring hunt & weren''t watching him intently. But he carried on conversations with us the whole time! Also ... he told us way more about himself than he had to ... where he''s from, neighborhoods etc. And he gave us BOTH cards at the very end. Not just "interested in earring" me ... but "possibly harmed her gorgeous e-ring" Friend.
33.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
That''s horrible! Thank goodness your friends ring is insured!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
So weird. I wonder how testing the prongs could have chipped her stone though. I mean, it seems like he''d have to have actually dropped the ring or whacked it against a counter top or something like that. Testing prongs usually just involves looking at the ring under the scope and prodding the stone with a teeny tiny tool..I''m trying to think how that could have chipped it but it seems unlikely unless testing prongs involves something other than what I''ve seen. Maybe he dropped it in the back?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
other random thought is that maybe it was chipped to begin with but the dirt was hiding the nick? when cleaned, maybe dirt came out of the nick leaving it free and clear to be visible at next scrutiny? hmmm.

deco if he gave you both cards i have to think gosh he must not have known? OR as my potential scenario up above maybe it was just there, he didn''t know, your friend didn''t know and because it was visible later, assumed that the cleaning/prong testing caused it?

so many scenarios. again thankfully there is insurance!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
deco, please keep us updated on what your friend decides to do...I have no idea what I''d do in that situation. I suppose if it didn''t show much and didn''t affect the overall performance of the stone, I''d leave it?

sputat

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thanks for posting this warning. I never would''ve thought that a bad cleaning can lead to possibly damaging the ring.

I''ve always been curious to try it whenever I see the "Free Cleaning" banners in the mall jewelry stores but I get too initimidated to go in and browse. Now I know to be cautious.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to say this but I think it would be extremely difficult to prove that he did it. But at least she has insurance.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sucks Deco. I think this will be hard to proove, but the good thing is that she has insurance. Phew on that!! But please keep us posted.

IHeartOldCuts

Rough_Rock
So sad to hear
7.gif
.. Thanks for the warning, Deco!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results