shape
carat
color
clarity

WANTED: Pair of Eyes

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww great news and he's seriously only 1.75" high? He looks so much bigger. I just adore him whether he's blind or not :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

kittyinthehand.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitty is so cute and well done that it looks lovely as is. Of course, having the finishing touches and actual eyes are icing on the cake.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hand-shots are a prerequisite for this forum (even when speaking of carved kittens).

Very nicely done, btw.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Looks like kitty is getting ready to be on Nip/Tuck

catniptuck.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two kitties?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
You know how kitties are, you leave them alone for a short while there's no telling how many kitties there will be

thentherewerethree.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
VL, you are so talented. You could sell these!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The cat's eyes from Dana arrived just now!!
3.5 mm so I will need to cut them down a little to fit.

eyecanhaseyes.jpg

eyecanhaseyestoo.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL I spy a second pair of eyes crying out for a commission for me! Seriously my daughters name is Katya and we call her KitKat and we both love cats but she's seriously allergic to them which is a great disappointment No pressure but I need one in my life :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the size of Mama Kitty? They are both looking better every time you post an update. :appl:

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1362421814|3396031 said:
The cat's eyes from Dana arrived just now!!
3.5 mm so I will need to cut them down a little to fit.

eyecanhaseyes.jpg
eyecanhaseyestoo.jpg

lol to the file names!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Haven't had a lot of time lately for projects or PS, but today I thought I should post an update of progress.

The carving is near complete. The chrysoberyls came and I glued them to sticks and cut them smaller to fit. Then polished the cabs. They are now 2.4mm diameter. I just took them off the dops and placed them on the cat to check. here are the photos.

eyescabbed.jpg

eyescabbed2.jpg

eyesfitting.jpg

eyesfit2.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Very cool, Vapid! :appl:

And a little freaky, too . . . :???:

Did you already cover which hopelessly endangered tree you're using this time? I missed which one it was. (I'm teasing you, obviously :bigsmile: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little kitty looks cross-eyed in the first picture. :bigsmile: Wow, it is getting more and more realistic as it nears finish. :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono. Portraiture was never a skill nor interest of mine, but I have been trying to make this as real and natural as I could. The closer it gets the slower it goes. Still more refinements to make in the face, paws and thighs, but she is getting there. Kitty has an appointment with the Optometryst soon to straighten out the cross-eyedness.

iLander, I know you were only kidding, but the grotesque exploitation and decimation of resources anywhere in the world is not a joke. There is a big differance between the use and misuse of these gifts. My kitty is 42.75 millimeters of Gabon Ebony from Cameroon. The block has been in my inventory for ten years and was legitimate old stock when I bought it. In all my life I have used less of this Ebony than it takes to make one clarinet. My kitty has only good intentions. Though that may mean she is on the Highway to Hell, at least it will be paved so she can drive there in a red sports car instead of an ATV.

kittypurrpose.jpg

kittymoon.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

kittyglowinbowl.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is simply gorgeous. I am speechless.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid, you are quite talented! This is a fun thread, so neat to see the progress being made.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL - you know I'm an admirer of your work and desperately want one of your kitties but would you mind if I said I prefer him without the cabs? They make him a little spooky looking :(( Funnily enough, my favourite photo is when he was less carved and eyeless (not sure what that says about me)! I don't know why but it then left more to the imagination and kitty was soft and cuddly and yum. New cab eyed kitty has a completely different persona.

Your skill is amazing and I hope you've enjoyed making your new cat family? It's clearly a labour of love.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! Love kitty in the bowl.

I think it looks a little spooky, but I like that. Its funny, without the eyes, I didn't really notice the cat's color. Now with the eyes, it really looks like a black cat to me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1365454196|3422767 said:
VL - you know I'm an admirer of your work and desperately want one of your kitties but would you mind if I said I prefer him without the cabs? They make him a little spooky looking :(( Funnily enough, my favourite photo is when he was less carved and eyeless (not sure what that says about me)! I don't know why but it then left more to the imagination and kitty was soft and cuddly and yum. New cab eyed kitty has a completely different persona.

Your skill is amazing and I hope you've enjoyed making your new cat family? It's clearly a labour of love.

Ditto. Perhaps it is because the eyes are bulging outwards from the domed shape?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Nice work, I like the eyes, I just think they need to be set further in.

Agneau

Shiny_Rock
This is so sweet looking Vapid! You're doing a great job.

I once, while riding my bike, I had a little black kitten follow me home and it was all black with green eyes. I wish I could have kept it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results