shape
carat
color
clarity

Want "twin" of Tiffany round-with-pear-sides setting - any help very welcome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

a.rot

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,
Thanks so much for all the great diamond advice in the past. I am SO glad I found this site! My current conundrum is this: I have fallen head over heels in love with a setting... at Tiffany. As you probably know, Tiffany only sells finished pieces, so I can''t get the diamonds elsewhere and just have them set in the setting from Tiffany. And obviously ther is no way I am paying sixteen million dollars in name-brand premium just to get the ring I want! So here is the ring:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_fancy_ring.asp?ring=pearsides&

If you look at the "enlarged view" you will see that from the side it has a totally fluid look - no odd angles or clunkiness to the bridge. From the front it has that slight knife edge shank that really draws your eye around the whole piece.

I know there a tons of other setting sout there that are for a round center with pear sides, but none of them have the fluidity and grace of this setting. I am a stickler for details (as I bet you could tell!) so I am now dying to find a setting that I can buy just plain (and put in my own diamonds) but that has the same elegance as this one.

Vatche has a nice one... do you know of any others?

THANK YOU!!!!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope~ I hope you find the answers you''re looking for.

I like your taste! I have the DVatche version of this setting. I''m not going to steer you away but I will say that in my experience it is not worth the money. I have had the prongs redone twice and it basically is not a DVatche anymore. If you are dead set on this style, why not take it to a custom jeweler and have them make it from scratch? Surely you will get very similar results and not have to pay the unreal markup for the brand name.

Just my 2 cents.

lax18

Rough_Rock
I thought about the Vatche setting also, but I ended up going the custom route and purchased from Kao Jewelers, Inc in Philadelphia on Jewelers row. The setting was almost identical to Tiffany and Vatche. It was also half the price of Vatche. They set my Whiteflash diamond for free and I can honestly say Kao put the ring together to perfection. I''ve looked at the setting from every angle and I cannot find anything wrong with the piece. The prongs are wonderful, the arrows in the diamond are aligned perfectly with the prongs, everything is even and symmetrical--I could go on and on. There is no question that I will be going back to Kao for my wedding bands. If you are in the Philly area or have a local jeweler who could do the same I would highly recommend you go this route.

a.rot

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your advice! I think the custom route sounds like the best option. It always kills me to pay for name and I have a jeweler here in Boston who I really trust and who does nice work. Awesome! Problem solved :)

High Cotton

Rough_Rock
Tacori has a nice setting.....check it out....

http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?Product=9003
18.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting that link, High Cotton! I''ve never seen that Tacori design before, and it''s to die for. I wish there was a close-up side shot.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
Hi a.rot,

I''m actually looking for the same thing you are. After looking around I decided to go through WhiteFlash. They said they get a request for the Tiffany setting with pear sidestones frequently and are able to copy it fairly exactly.

I''m looking at using the following center stone:

1.25 F VS2 EX/EX AGS0 cut
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1182558.htm#

The setting is platinum with F VS pear sides, 0.55 cttw

I''ll let you know when I have pictures of the wax mockup of the ring and the finished product.

- Jeremy

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Jeremy--Please do post photos of your wax and finished ring. I''m trying to decide between this setting and a knife edge solitaire.

Thanks!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Even though this is a very old thread, I would love to hear about the ring. Do you have links for the pears as well? What size will they be?

jldunn

Rough_Rock
Alright,

Here is the wax model they made for me:

JDunn_1.jpg

I think it looks really nice. The prongs look a little long to me. Looking at the top it at first seems like it''s 8 prongs for the center stone but then I realized that the extras were for the pears. I''d like the center stone set a little lower than its showing in this image too. All this though I think is just because its a wax model and will end up looking right in the finished ring when the diamonds are set and prongs bent. They''ve done a great job with this ring I think, I''m impressed with how well they''ve matched the design.

I''ll keep you posted with any updates.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous and something I am considering, too. Please do post more pictures when it is finished!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Jeremy...the wax looks great! Thank you for sharing it with us. I would make sure to voice your concerns over the center stone being too high right now. Hopefully once the ring is cast and all of the prongs are polished down that the "basket" will be bigger so the stone can sit lower. I definately want mine a bit lower so that I can see the cutlet through the bottom gallery hole like in the picture on the Tiffany website.

You have to post pictures of your finished ring. I can''t wait to see it!

BTW, does yours have a knife edge all the way around? What did you decide to do on the shank? How wide is it going to be at the bottom?

Thanks!

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I let them know my thoughts on it, and they told me that the prongs are always long on the wax and get cut down in the finished ring. I''ll make sure to put up pictures of the finished product.

As for the shank, I didn''t give them any instruction on it other than ''like Tiffany''s''. I don''t know much about the options myself, my girlfriend liked pretty much everything she tried on from that aspect as long as it wasn''t sharp. Maybe I''ll measure it for you when I get it in =p.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
ofcourse I love this style too! (It''s mine too...)

I didn''t know that Tiffany had a version - I fell in love with the Vatche version and had WF custom make a replica. Turned out perfect.

My one caveat to this beautiful ring is that I couldn''t find a wedding ring to work with it. Grr. Turns out that I like the rings to fit flush with no gap AND I don''t like the formed rings. Still, I love it, and love wearing it on its own. So I bought a wedding band that I can wear on its own too!

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Leon Mege made mine. It''s a rb centre with ruby trillion sides knife edged turning into comfort fit at the back. You can see more pics in the Leon Mege thread on show me the ring......

jldunn

Rough_Rock
Here we go, moment of truth, the ring pictures.

JDunn_2sm.jpg

I''ve asked for a straight on side shot too, so we''ll see if I get that.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Ug...this is killing me! I can''t see the photo! Hopefully it will start working soon.
3.gif

jldunn

Rough_Rock
There, I reuploaded it.... so now the picture should be back :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the proportions - can''t wait to see a hand shot! When will you actually get the ring?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully. I love it.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I paid for the ring yesterday, and it''s already here in Mass for me to pick up at the fedex station after work. I''m going to have to find a size four finger to take a hand shot of it on, waiting till July or so to put it on the appropriate finger.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Waiting until July??????? You are killing us here. We love to see hand shots. I hope you can find a size 4 hand model asap!!! The ring is beautiful. I love a 3-stone with pear sides -- just perfect.
30.gif

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
Its a Real beauty! how can you stand to wait till July!

Joni

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
it''s very beautiful.
You should start a new thread once you get it and the hand shots.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It''s looks wonderful Jeremy. Please do post more photos...and start a new thread to show off this beauty!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, looks fabulous. This beauty needs it''s own thread. Oh it turned out great. Yummmmm!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a 3.5-4, you could always send it to me and I''d be happy to take some hand shots for you
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeremy!! I missed the finished ring pictures! You need to start your own thread! Too many people missed this gorgeous ring! And July???? What are ya waiting for????

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute. Okay, wait until July. Maybe by then she''ll change her mind and want a princess or something and you can just sell me this one!
9.gif
I LOVE it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results