shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting and the holidays

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you Aud! All the engagements I have been running into- they have been together less than a year! Or maybe just 1 year exactly (a couple of those now that I am thinking about it...)

We havent been together THAT long... 2 years in February but I totally hear you... This is RIGHT! Lets make it happen! hehehe.

Nah, the holidays will be okay... especially with you lovelys to vent to. Getting the ring is half the battle, right? Done! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
antiquesparkler|1354115907|3317345 said:
I hear you Aud! All the engagements I have been running into- they have been together less than a year! Or maybe just 1 year exactly (a couple of those now that I am thinking about it...)

We havent been together THAT long... 2 years in February but I totally hear you... This is RIGHT! Lets make it happen! hehehe.

Nah, the holidays will be okay... especially with you lovelys to vent to. Getting the ring is half the battle, right? Done! :))

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1353196791|3308994 said:
lkc84|1353189670|3308930 said:
Hi Ladies,

How are you planning to deal with the inevitable "Do you think you will get a ring for Christmas?" questions at family holiday parties? I've gotten it for several years now. I usually give a generic "It will happen when it is meant to happen" but I'm reaaalllllyyyy getting sick of that answer.

How do you answer? Diplomatic? Snarky? Honest? All of the above?

The answer depends on who is asking, and what their intentions are. I don't like being snarky to people who don't deserve it, but I love getting snappy with those who ask too many Q's. :bigsmile:

But come. on.!!? If it's HIS asking, and HIS gift, how the heck am I supposed to know?!?

THIS. Exactly. And you could respond with something along these lines, "Hahahaha, I think you'll need to ask XX about that"...of course, your BF/SO may not appreciate you throwing potential marriage questions his way but maybe that could work in your favour.

As an aside, I know my BF's friends ask him ALL THE TIME about if we're ring-shopping, when is it going to happen etc...My friends and family are actually quite chill about the whole thing and don't hound me. They accept that the direction will be marriage and they don't need timelines (yet), it could be also that BF and I have only been together 1 year (on Monday!) so that's not a long period of time. I should also mention that we're mid-30s.

misscuppycake

Shiny_Rock
Both my cousin and my sister recently got engaged, so I think the only comments I'll be fielding this Christmas are "When will it be YOUR turn?" in regards to those two in particular. That's fine with me though because I couldn't be more thrilled that I am finally someone's maid of honour; my sister is my best friend in the whole world so this has been quite the adventure for us already.

S/O and I don't have any plans to get engaged within the next year, so I feel no pressure for this holiday season but I definitely see a lot of engagements popping up on my newsfeed!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's such a good outlook cuppycake! My sister is also a LIW and I'd love for us to get engaged close together, but I think her BF is waiting to be done with school (2 more years...) so I think she's in for a wait and not thrilled about it.I know pretty certainly that I'll be engaged before her and I hope she can be happy for us even though she is disappointed that they aren't moving as quickly as she'd like.

lkc84

Rough_Rock
audball|1354196838|3318188 said:
That's such a good outlook cuppycake! My sister is also a LIW and I'd love for us to get engaged close together, but I think her BF is waiting to be done with school (2 more years...) so I think she's in for a wait and not thrilled about it.I know pretty certainly that I'll be engaged before her and I hope she can be happy for us even though she is disappointed that they aren't moving as quickly as she'd like.

Coming from the other side, my sis just got engaged last month while I am in the final few weeks of waiting. After a small emotional breakdown that only my SO and mom saw, I was truly happy. Even though I am so frustrated with my own wait, once I saw her in person for the first time I was so excited for her that any feelings of disappointment I had went out the window. We will most likely get married before she does and she's totally okay with that too.

If you are close, you guys will be fine. My sister completely understood that I might have been feeling down and she and her FI are very sweet about being considerate about that. And I am so excited to help her start planning! Hopefully, your sister will feel the same!

**edit due to complete overuse of the word "totally". Lol

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
lkc84|1354242313|3318925 said:

Hehehehehe.

I had two sadsack moments when SO's little brother got engaged that I whined about on here. The rest has been FUN. SO VERY FUN. It actually works as a brilliant distraction for me, thank goodness!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Coming from the other side, my sis just got engaged last month while I am in the final few weeks of waiting. After a small emotional breakdown that only my SO and mom saw, I was truly happy. Even though I am so frustrated with my own wait, once I saw her in person for the first time I was so excited for her that any feelings of disappointment I had went out the window. We will most likely get married before she does and she's totally okay with that too.

If you are close, you guys will be fine. My sister completely understood that I might have been feeling down and she and her FI are very sweet about being considerate about that. And I am so excited to help her start planning! Hopefully, your sister will feel the same!

Hahah, I loved the first edition with all of your totallys.

We are close. I just think it's hard for her. She's the oldest. I'm the middle, our younger sister has been married going on 5 years now and has an almost 3 year old.

Andrew and I will be soonish and I know for sure it'll be before them. Her BF is perfect for her, but he's younger than she is and that sometimes takes awhile longer too. He's actually a few months younger than I am (though her and I are only 16 months apart). He's just over a year and half younger than her. He's took some time away from school when he couldn't decide what to major in and just got back in last year. He's got 2 years to go to finish and I don't think it'll happen before then for her. She's been out of school and working for years now. But he's very much the macho type that will want to be provider like before asking her.

I just hope she can be happy for us even though she'll be disappointed that it isn't her. I absolutely will be sensitive to her feelings when my time comes, though.

lkc84

Rough_Rock
audball|1354283881|3319197 said:

Hahah, I loved the first edition with all of your totallys.

We are close. I just think it's hard for her. She's the oldest. I'm the middle, our younger sister has been married going on 5 years now and has an almost 3 year old.

Andrew and I will be soonish and I know for sure it'll be before them. Her BF is perfect for her, but he's younger than she is and that sometimes takes awhile longer too. He's actually a few months younger than I am (though her and I are only 16 months apart). He's just over a year and half younger than her. He's took some time away from school when he couldn't decide what to major in and just got back in last year. He's got 2 years to go to finish and I don't think it'll happen before then for her. She's been out of school and working for years now. But he's very much the macho type that will want to be provider like before asking her.

I just hope she can be happy for us even though she'll be disappointed that it isn't her. I absolutely will be sensitive to her feelings when my time comes, though.

Haha thanks. I have a tendency to sound like the child of the 80s that I am.

I'm the oldest too. My middle sister has been married for just over a year, and the youngest is the one who just got engaged. It's just a matter of when the timing is right. BF and I had to deal with several years of long distance and some readiness issues on his part (parents had an ugly divorce right before we got together) which set us back. While I know it's probably really hard for her, it sounds like he's doing the right thing and things will definitely work out for her. I think of it this way: I usually was the first one to do things (date, pick a college, move out, etc) and had to deal with navigating parental/family opinions, blazing the trail, being a good influence, etc. Since they are getting married first, they got to deal with all the first time family drama/decisions this time instead of me :D

I know you will be sensitive to her feelings, and know if she might be acting a little weird, she will be happy for you and will more than likely get over it quickly. I also saw in the other thread that your guy has a job interview lined up....good luck and dust to him!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
lkc84|1354284980|3319210 said:
Haha thanks. I have a tendency to sound like the child of the 80s that I am.

I'm the oldest too. My middle sister has been married for just over a year, and the youngest is the one who just got engaged. It's just a matter of when the timing is right. BF and I had to deal with several years of long distance and some readiness issues on his part (parents had an ugly divorce right before we got together) which set us back. While I know it's probably really hard for her, it sounds like he's doing the right thing and things will definitely work out for her. I think of it this way: I usually was the first one to do things (date, pick a college, move out, etc) and had to deal with navigating parental/family opinions, blazing the trail, being a good influence, etc. Since they are getting married first, they got to deal with all the first time family drama/decisions this time instead of me :D

I know you will be sensitive to her feelings, and know if she might be acting a little weird, she will be happy for you and will more than likely get over it quickly. I also saw in the other thread that your guy has a job interview lined up....good luck and dust to him!!!
Thanks for the insight!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the anti-Kay's advert!

Good luck to everyone hoping for a proposal!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1354462369|3320497 said:
Love the anti-Kay's advert!

Good luck to everyone hoping for a proposal!
Thank you!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results